Menu

I am in so much stupid pain

theelfqueen

And it's really dumb, not like the chronic and serious pain some people have...  but seriously like screaming into a towel and crying pain.

I was up all night with this pain and it was awful. I tried all the dental home remedies. Plus I took naproxen. I even tried Advil PM. No help. Writhing on the bathroom floor fighting off vomit-inducing pain. At 1 AM I called my dentist's emergency number (got a very apologetic dentist on the phone at 7 am who forgot he had the 'call phone'.) I considered going to the ER for pain meds but would havce then been writhing in misery on the ER floor plus I'd have to wake up my brother or my parents or someone to take me there as DH is out of town... And I knew it was dental.

Seriously people it was an awful night.

Went to the dentist this AM and after examination it was concluded that I need to have a wisdom tooth removed -it's infected. FINE.

I got abx and painkillers. GREAT.

EXCEPT IT'S NOT FREAKING HELPING YET!!! I know once the abx kick in they will make a big difference. But SERIOUSLY. So awful.

Plus I think I'm a bit dehydrated because it was hurting to drink.

Dental pain is absolutely atrocious. I've had unmedicated, malpositioned childbirth. I've been under-anesthetized for a c section. But dry sockets from a wisdom tooth extraction over the weekend was one of the single most torturous experiences of my life in terms of unending and inescapable physical pain. Pulled muscles, broken bones, nothing compared. It was a uniquely awful kind of pain in both sensation and location.

They gave me the really strong Ibuprofen and some Hydrocodone. I took the Ibuprofen first (with the first ABX dose) but then the pain came back so I took a Codeine. Not really helping yet.

Take the hydrocodone as frequently as the Rx allows — do not let one dose wear off before you take the next. If your tooth is temperature sensitive, take the pill with a small amount of warm water and keep the water away from the tooth. And if it's not controlling the pain, don't be afraid to ask for something else.

Fifteen hours of labor plus recovery from a C-section was *nothing* compared to the pain I had after a root canal on an infected molar. There were times when I was literally curled up in a ball on the floor unable to move or speak. It's hard to even describe that kind of pain to someone who hasn't felt it. It's like your entire brain becomes one giant pain receptor and everything else just shuts down.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Everything Correlano said. Keep on top of the pain meds, don't let them lag at all! That's half the problem right there. I also have found Percocet covers that sort of pain better. You may benefit from asking them for a completely different pain medication since that one doesn't seem to be doing much.

I'd call and ask for stronger pain medicine. You can also take a double dose of the antibiotic for the first (or in your case second) dose as long as it's not a extended-release course like a z-pack.  It's really no different than the shot of antibiotics they used to give for infections 30 years ago.

Take the hydrocodone as frequently as the Rx allows — do not let one dose wear off before you take the next. If your tooth is temperature sensitive, take the pill with a small amount of warm water and keep the water away from the tooth. And if it's not controlling the pain, don't be afraid to ask for something else.

:iagree: Don't let the time lapse too long between doses. There are times when I've taken it within 3 hours if they said 4. Every one is different. The one thing that worries me is being on pain relief for too long (I have GERD/sensitive gut) because the resulting gastric pain can be horrible too. But before my recent root canal, I threw caution to the winds. No one was at home with both DS and DH away and I spent Christmas dog sitting 4 dogs while nursing horrible, horrible pain. Every time I had to bend down to place their food bowls on the kitchen floor, it felt like someone was hammering my head from that side. Could not cough or sneeze without wincing. Could not even walk the dogs as often as I'd hoped. Was also in between insurance plans so I could not have afforded to have had it looked into at the time. I think having the dogs around helped with some of the stress though. :001_smile:

Take care and I hope you can have it looked at/ resolved real soon. :grouphug:

And hooray the codeine has finally kicked in. I feel the exhaustion of being up all night heavily but the pain has relented quite a bit and my eyes have to be forced to focus :) (Plus I've lost the ability to type.)

They wanted me to wait til the infection is under better control before they remove it (I had some complications with my previous wisdom tooth extractions and we're being cautious)... and then we have a 'thing-which-cannot-be-moved' on Tuesday. So we're looking at about a week... but the abx should make the pain way better within 24 hours. (I HOPE!!!) 

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2