Menu

Walking/Hiking Alone.....does it make you nervous?

Ottakee

I don't typically get worried walking alone. I used to hike alone a lot though and now I think that was kind of stupid. More because of potential injury than because of the worry about being attacked by another person. When I hiked alone was when I was single, living alone and didn't tell anyone where I was going. And it was pre-cell phones (or pre-me having a cell phone). If I had gotten hurt on an isolated trail it would have been potentially very bad.

Your post reminded me of that movie Into the Wild.

I hike/bike/camp by myself regularly. It doesn't make me anxious. It gives me a sense of freedom and control. 

I also walk my dog at night when my DH isn't home. I have never felt uncomfortable or frightened. 

Now, send me to the mall by myself and expect me to go shopping...that would be cause for a full blown panic attack.

• Like 3

OP you wrote that you had your dog with you. That is the minimum requirement.  If you have a gun, you should take it with you and know how to use it. The fact that you were concerned enough to send a photo of the truck to your DH shows that you were apprehensive about the situation. That's good.     That you were concerned is a good sign. If you had been oblivious, that is very dangerous. Bad things can happen to one, even if there are lots of other people around. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is dangerous.  Be careful.

No. Just no. Being fearful and jumpy and carrying a loaded gun is a disaster waiting to happen. There are plenty of non-lethal options if someone feels the need to carry something for self-defense that they can't use to accidentally kill someone.

• Like 3

I do feel a little nervous. I have one shorter bush track near our house which I don't feel nervous about (except occasionally when there is an overconfident kangaroo). I have a longer one over the road from me that is well out of sight of the road and I do feel more nervous there. It's not over populated and it's likely we could be the only people there on a given day. It was involved in a drug bust around 12 months ago and for a while I didn't walk there at all. With my kids, I agree, on a hike I do turn into authoritarian mum, because phone service is patchy and If anything happened to one of the kids in there I would struggle to get them out.

I will say the one positive thing about being fatter is that I feel less fearful. It's dumb maybe because I'm not really stronger or fitter but I feel like people are less likely to mess with me.

When I was younger I used to walk in a massive bush park in the city. I did feel fearful. It was a place where bodies were occasionally dumped and homeless people would hang out. The fear didn't stop me walking but it was always there.

Deserts/chaparral areas are not for everyone :laugh:

Too true! I live in the Sonoran desert (in AZ) and you do have to be aware that you could run into coyotes, rattle snakes, bobcats, mountain lions, scorpions, javelina (wild boar), etc. In many ways, it is still very much the wild west out here. However, just PREPARE before you go hiking.

OP, I understand why you felt "weird." I'm glad it turned out okay. I go hiking alone on occasion but I let my family know where I'll be.

I miss my German Shepherd, Sarge. I did feel safer with my awesome dog.

I am normally confident and don't get spooked, but once in a while, I feel hyper-alert. Then all bets are off.

Not thrilled to say, but yes I get nervous and I'd rather be careful than be nervous. I'm pretty sure that my situation has something to do w/ being raised w/ a mean dad. I'm not sure why I connect those two things, but I think they're connected.

On the other hand, we're the descendants of survivors. Maybe smart-caution is built into us. (Those who weren't cautious were eaten by the lion, swept downstream, or ate a poisonous berry.)

Alley

• Like 2

I miss my German Shepherd, Sarge. I did feel safer with my awesome dog.

I am normally confident and don't get spooked, but once in a while, I feel hyper-alert. Then all bets are off.

Quill, how did you know Sarge would protect you? I have a 5 yr. old purebred GSD and he's so sweet . . . that I think he'd be hiding behind me! I know I should feel safer with him -- I guess he looks scary at 80 lbs., but I don't.

Alley

• Like 2

I think because all of my friends are moms as well and don't always have the time/freedom/desire to leave their kids at home and hike my choices are to A. Not hike B. Hike by myself or C. Joined a hiking group. I haven't had much luck with hiking groups. I've done a bit of hiking with a couple groups but so often the timing doesn't work out or I'm not fast enough to keep up. So I'm left with either not hiking or hiking alone. Not hiking is not acceptable to me, so I hike alone. I'm not afraid of being attacked by another person. It seems very unlikely. As some pointed out earlier, I'm more likely to get in a car accident on the way there. I do worry a bit about injury or an attack from a wild animal. So I am sure to only hike in areas with other hikers. I may not be able to see them while I'm hiking, but I see enough people pass me while I'm taking a break or heading the other way that I know they are there. My husband always knows what trail I will be on and I always have my cell phone, thought the service is spotty in the mountains.

• Like 1

I will say the one positive thing about being fatter is that I feel less fearful. It's dumb maybe because I'm not really stronger or fitter but I feel like people are less likely to mess with me.

I have said that as well.  As a plus size middle age mom, I am thinking I would be a bit less attractive......and harder to kidnap.

I told a friend of mine this once.  She is a bit younger, fitter, and cuter.  She just laughed at me and said that she could run faster so I was on my own.

Seriously though, I am not typically like this overall but the lone red truck made me pause (and worry) yesterday.  If there had been 3 trucks I would have been fine, or even none as I have often walked there totally alone.

My injuring myself is MUCH more likely though.  Cell service is pretty good in this little park.

I know you said that it was a mild day without snow, but even so in reality the winter season seems a very, very unlikely time for any outdoor abductions, don't you? Just think about the amount of clothes and stuff we're wearing, for one thing. I hardly think attackers/abductors are going to have the energy and patience to fuss with parkas, boots, etc.  :laugh:

Quill, how did you know Sarge would protect you? I have a 5 yr. old purebred GSD and he's so sweet . . . that I think he'd be hiding behind me! I know I should feel safer with him -- I guess he looks scary at 80 lbs., but I don't.

Alley

Well, it's not as though he was a trained protection dog, so one never knows, but his overall temperment was loyal and protective (unless you happen to be poultry). A good bit of it was simply that he looked and sounded intimidating - if I were planning to pick on a woman, I would hesitate to pick on one walking with a dog like that, KWIM?

• Like 1

I know you said that it was a mild day without snow, but even so in reality the winter season seems a very, very unlikely time for any outdoor abductions, don't you? Just think about the amount of clothes and stuff we're wearing, for one thing. I hardly think attackers/abductors are going to have the energy and patience to fuss with parkas, boots, etc. :laugh:

In fact, in lists of proactive self-protection, wearing more complex clothing is a deterrent. Bare-legged and wearing a sundress does make you more vulnerable than wearing winter clothing would. Even carrying a full-sized umbrella is a deterrent.

• Like 1

My dad used to not let me go walking on our own property without a gun as a teenager.  I thought he was a little paranoid, but he was a cop and didn't share a lot of crimes he heard about, so I listened to him.  Of course, in rural Florida you might be in more danger from wildlife than from criminals, but I don't think it was the wildlife he was concerned about.

As an adult I feel less nervous in the woods than I do walking the trails in town.  We live overlooking a very popular hike/bike trail and I get nervous for every petite woman I see running alone.  Nothing must ever happen though, because none of them seem concerned.