Menu

Managing projects and To Do's

Grantmom

As a homeschooling mom with a million side projects and working part-time, I have a lot of lists.  I am also self-employed, so I just have a lot to keep up with.  Most of the time, I manage, but right now I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.  I feel like I am always searching for the perfect To Do list system, but always fall short.  Maybe I just need better habits about actually using that system.  But, anyone have any BTDT advice for me?  How do you keep up with things you need to do and ongoing projects?  For example, I feel like I need a lot of different lists.  I need a list of things that have to be done today, a list of things that I need to remember to follow up on (like ongoing projects that are in process, but then I feel like each of those projects sometimes need its own list!), lists for errands, lists for future things I want to research, lists for each child for homeschooling goals and things to remember for the future, lists and lists and lists!

Right now, I am at a crossroads because I have a mix of digital and paper lists.  I really want to switch to digital, because then I won't lose the lists.  But the problem with that is that sometimes I make the list and then never look at it.  Or, I have so many lists because it's easy to just start a new list.  I like the act of writing things down, but then I have to catalog it all and keep up with it.

I think I just need a nudge to get back on track!  Any advice?

Every single day I have a to do list on an index card. It's two sided so the plain side is my daily to do list and it stays in my pocket or with me all day. I cross things off as I do them. The reverse side is for notes- often things that I need to put on a later day's list but also notes from things that happen today. For instance today I scheduled a service person to come in Tuesday. It's on the back of today's list so at the end of the day I can put it into my calendar. I also jotted down something I need to add to my grocery list and wrote a reminder about a project I worked on today that I have a question about so I can ask dh when he gets home. 

I also jot down any money I spend during the day so at the end of the day I can enter it into my spending spreadsheet. 

So this evening I'll start tomorrow's index card- with anything I didn't accomplish today plus whatever needs to be done tomorrow.  I do it while at my laptop so I can enter into the calendar any appointments, etc.  

At the end of the day I toss it into the trash. Tomorrow is a new day and I have a new list. Fresh start. 

• Like 8

I love the above suggestion.  I use a bullet journal which is a lot of the same idea but it has more bulk to it.  Good and bad.  

If you want to go all digital, take a look at Wunderlist.  We all use it in our family; my ds uses it with his partners at work, as well.  We have a family-shared list for groceries, so whoever wants something just "unticks" the item and whoever goes to the grocery store shops off this list.  It takes a little learning as it doesn't granulate the tasks the way I would but once you figure it out, it can be a useful--and shared--tool.

I don't think I could fit all of that on an index card.  I literally just have so many different things to keep track of.  I have used Wunderlist in the past, but it didn't stick and now I use Google Keep.  The problem with the digital lists though is actually going back and referencing them.  I feel like with paper, it is in front of my face.  But, I still have to use it, look at it, keep it organized!

I don't think I could fit all of that on an index card.  I literally just have so many different things to keep track of.  I have used Wunderlist in the past, but it didn't stick and now I use Google Keep.  The problem with the digital lists though is actually going back and referencing them.  I feel like with paper, it is in front of my face.  But, I still have to use it, look at it, keep it organized!

You're more productive than I am. I can't get more done in a day than I can list on my index card.  It helps that many of my things are frequently repeated so they are just one word or two.  

• Like 1

Have you looked into bullet journels before? They are great for people who have many things going on and who like to constantly make different kinds of lists. Takes a minute to figure out the system, but then it is so simple it is kind of brilliant. All the lists are then in one journal, organised and easily found. You can start a new list whenever you want and find it later. You can go all out and make them pretty and planner like or keep them simple and utilitarian.

I love lists made with pen and paper. I am sure there are lots of apps and such for the more technologically inclined.

Edited by CoffeeMama11
  • Like 1

Book: Getting Things Done by David Allen

There is a "mom" version of the principles of the book at powerofmoms.com with videos and step by step mini-projects to set it up. Complete with a whole set up designed for "ongoing projects" and how to keep track of them.

There is an awesome post about GTD and organizing here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Eta: Found the thread.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/442845-so-from-discouraged-now-organizing-to-have-time-for-the-components-of-your-life/?fromsearch=1

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

Every single day I have a to do list on an index card. It's two sided so the plain side is my daily to do list and it stays in my pocket or with me all day. I cross things off as I do them. The reverse side is for notes- often things that I need to put on a later day's list but also notes from things that happen today. For instance today I scheduled a service person to come in Tuesday. It's on the back of today's list so at the end of the day I can put it into my calendar. I also jotted down something I need to add to my grocery list and wrote a reminder about a project I worked on today that I have a question about so I can ask dh when he gets home. 

I also jot down any money I spend during the day so at the end of the day I can enter it into my spending spreadsheet. 

So this evening I'll start tomorrow's index card- with anything I didn't accomplish today plus whatever needs to be done tomorrow.  I do it while at my laptop so I can enter into the calendar any appointments, etc.  

At the end of the day I toss it into the trash. Tomorrow is a new day and I have a new list. Fresh start. 

I really like this idea.  I do have a bullet journal for appointments and notes but it's not easy for me to look at constantly during the day because of where it is (I don't have an actual desk area and probably never will).  I like the idea of something that is on me all day long.  

It would definitely take time to build up the habit but I think it could work.  

• Like 1

I really like this idea.  I do have a bullet journal for appointments and notes but it's not easy for me to look at constantly during the day because of where it is (I don't have an actual desk area and probably never will).  I like the idea of something that is on me all day long.  

It would definitely take time to build up the habit but I think it could work.  

I keep a bullet journal that includes renovation projects and other more long term things I need to track. It's a great way to keep everything together! I wish I had known about them when the kids were little and I struggled with organization. 

I think the index card system works for me because I am motivated by being able to cross things off a list. 

• Like 1

I was a Frankin Covey fan for years.  YEARS.  But, the past couple of years didn't feel as good to me.  Or I started keeping separate lists, which then was more confusing, because I'd focus on one list and not the others.  Then feel guilty when I didn't get to my "Sharpen the Saw" category.  So, that kind of died. Last year I used the FC version of the bullet journal.  It kind of worked for me, but I didn't really even think about buying a new one.  

What I've been doing recently (so, I'm not saying this is "the cure!" because it hasn't stood the test of time yet) is the Four-Quandrant box of Urgent / Not Urgent x Important / Not Important.  I print one of these out, and fill things into the boxes as I think about them or as they come up.  Then, I focus on Quadrants 1 and 2 (Important/Urgent and Important/Not Urgent).  Sometimes I don't have much time, so I choose from the other quadrants just to fit something in and feel good about myself.  I can keep the same paper for a couple days before it gets too messy and I need to restart.  I leave room on the bottom to write phone numbers, etc.

I've liked this so much I'm going to design a printable nice version with a better notes area, then bind it together so I can use it as a planner. But, right now that task is in Q4, lol, so it will have to wait until I am feeling like goofing off or the weekend. :)

eta: digital lists don't work as well for me for some reason. I keep trying, but keep coming back to paper.  Interested to see if digital solutions are posted that might work 

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 2

My current system is based on the Getting Things Done book above.  It's about getting every task/project/idea down on paper or in digital format, and out of your head.  I happen to be a paper person.  Even when I do digital stuff, I have to transfer it to paper at some point.

I have a Jr. size ARC notebook from Staples.  I gave it a to-do section, to-buy section, project section, and ideas section, plus a section for writing random notes until they can be handled properly.  (I further divided my projects section into topics, because I have way too many.)

That notebook is my life. I love it.  I don't necessarily get everything done, but that's a matter of laziness, not one of forgetting.  :tongue_smilie:

Maybe one note? It's basically a blank digital canvas. You can have a notebook for everything or one for each area of your life. You create tabs/topics, then pages for each tab.

It's wildly versatile.

For any system (for me), I have to schedule time to consult it daily or multiple times per day. Any system is like that.

Pros: digital

Can use an app (portable)

Versatile

Cons: it's not a calendar or alarm system (but maybe you can set it up that way). For absolute due dates I have a calendar app (appt. out of the house, etc).

If you like the idea of a bullet journal, onenote can be used in that format digitally.

Do you need lists that are portable?  I've been using the memo function on the Smart Phone, that way I can bring it with me, change it or delete it when it's finished, or start a new one. It's a bit annoying to enter too much information, though. I can also supplement information with photos or sound recordings.

What I've been doing recently (so, I'm not saying this is "the cure!" because it hasn't stood the test of time yet) is the Four-Quandrant box of Urgent / Not Urgent x Important / Not Important.  I print one of these out, and fill things into the boxes as I think about them or as they come up.  Then, I focus on Quadrants 1 and 2 (Important/Urgent and Important/Not Urgent).  Sometimes I don't have much time, so I choose from the other quadrants just to fit something in and feel good about myself.  I can keep the same paper for a couple days before it gets too messy and I need to restart.  I leave room on the bottom to write phone numbers, etc.

I really like that idea!!  I might incorporate this- it would give me more choices and I bet I'd be motivated to accomplish something from at least three quadrants. 

I do so much better with paper lists and a bullet journal. Digital just doesn't work for me.  Physically writing things down usually helps them stick in my brain but typing them doesn't.  I'm a weirdo. 

• Like 1