Menu

Lots of stuff going on in the news today

MomatHWTK

I think we actually are allowed to discuss current events as long as the discussion stays non-partisan. Mentioning what was in the news should not violate board rules, nor sharing our opinion about the event itself. We just can't make this partisan politics.

Oh sure, we can mention current events. But we're not so good at staying non-partisan. LOL

• Like 3

I have been avoiding the news for about a month. But, with your encouragment, I ventured out from my little bubble. After reading the comment sections, I have come to the following conclusion...The US has been invaded by a horde of invisible zombies. All brains have been eaten.

Edited because I cannot spell.

Edited by MaeFlowers
  • Like 15

I have been avoiding the news for about a month. But, with your encouragment, I ventured out from my little bubble. After reading the comment sections, I have come to the following conclusion...The US has been invaded by a horde of invisible zombies. All brains have been eaten.

Edited because I cannot spell.

I heard they go after the spelling part of the brain first.

• Like 19

I read about two commuted sentences.  Chelsea Manning and Oscar Lopez Rivera.  I didn't know who he was, but all of my Puerto Rican friends were psyched.  So I went to an article a friend linked.    I'm glad I did.  Didn't know anything about him. Made me start wondering who else may be prisoner right now, a political prisoner, that I"m not even aware of?  I'm sure we have a gazillion.

And yes to Betty White.  She looks amazing.  Every time I see a name like hers trending on Facebook, I get all worried! Glad it's just her bday! 

• Like 1

It's very common for an outgoing president to commute federal sentences or issue a pardon.

Yes, it's Wikipedia, but it's a starting point for anyone who wishes to delve further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_or_granted_clemency_by_the_President_of_the_United_States

Obama is apparently out to set a record from the sounds of it. More coming today.

Eh, there's no limit on the number. LBJ pardoned over 1100, Nixon almost 1000. Obama is over those numbers but not by much.

I'm trying to understand this from a non-partisan POV. Why do exiting Presidents do all these pardons? It just doesn't seem there's any logic to it.

"Eh. Nevermind. Go on home. Be good now, ya here."

• Like 1

I'm trying to understand this from a non-partisan POV. Why do exiting Presidents do all these pardons? It just doesn't seem there's any logic to it.

"Eh. Nevermind. Go on home. Be good now, ya here."

Pardons are intended for people who have atoned for their crimes and are thus being rewarded for good behavior, or for those who have completed their sentences. Pardons have historically been used to help the nation move forward. Its supposed to be a healing tradition.

• Like 1