Menu

Math help? aka I am not smarter than a 6th grader :-P

What are they asking for?  I'm confused.

Consider this expression: 7(10a+3b)

Enter the expression that shows the sum of exactly two terms that is equal to 7(10a+3b)

(the bolding was in the original question)

This is on the 6th grader's standardized test prep. (Smarter Balanced / CAASPP)

Edited by shinyhappypeople

The more I think about this question, the more annoyed I am.  Anyone else have an alternate possibility besides simplifying the expression?  I'm stuck on the word SUM.  If sum means the answer to an addition problem (and that's what my kids have been taught all along), then merely simplifying it doesn't seem to be what they're asking.  But, then again, maybe simplifying IS what they wanted, but they're being deliberately obtuse.  I mean, I guess technically the simplified equation could be the sum of the original problem.  It would work to put that on the other side of the equal sign, kwim?  

:banghead: 

Who wrote this test????

(Edited out my rant)

Edited by shinyhappypeople

Sum can also mean a set of terms to be added. They want you to use the distributive property to change the expression they provided, which is a term multiplied by the sum of two terms, to an equivalent expression that is only the sum of two terms. So what Kiara said above is correct.

• Like 1

Sum can also mean a set of terms to be added. They want you to use the distributive property to change the expression they provided, which is a term multiplied by the sum of two terms, to an equivalent expression that is only the sum of two terms. So what Kiara said above is correct.

Cool, I got it right.  (Like it matters)

I pity the 6th graders who are expected to decipher those instructions.

The more I think about this question, the more annoyed I am.  Anyone else have an alternate possibility besides simplifying the expression?  I'm stuck on the word SUM.  If sum means the answer to an addition problem (and that's what my kids have been taught all along), then merely simplifying it doesn't seem to be what they're asking.  But, then again, maybe simplifying IS what they wanted, but they're being deliberately obtuse.  I mean, I guess technically the simplified equation could be the sum of the original problem.  It would work to put that on the other side of the equal sign, kwim?  

A sum is one term plus another term.

X+Y is a sum

70a+21b is a sum

You do not need an equation or equal sign. 2+3 is a sum. 2754x+41289y is a sum. Any two things connected by an addition sign are a sum.

• Like 3

It means exactly what it says: express the expression that is given through an expression of the type "X+Y".

To get there, expand the parenthesis by multiplying each term in the parenthesis with the factor in front of the parenthesis: 70a+21b

I like your paraphrase better, it makes more sense, but for the record, that's not what it said.  It's like they were trying to be confusing on purpose.  Good grief, I hate Smarter Balanced right now.

My husband (Business degree and GREAT at math) was confused by the phrasing, too.  He guessed (as did I) what they meant.  My actual 6th grader on the other hand...  testing day isn't gonna be pretty.   :crying: 

A sum is one term plus another term.

X+Y is a sum

70a+21b is a sum

You do not need an equation or equal sign. 2+3 is a sum. 2754x+41289y is a sum. Any two things connected by an addition sign are a sum.

I understand what  you're saying. My 6th grader wouldn't.  She's been taught in her math programs (including Saxon, which she's using successfully at the moment) the vocabulary: addend+addend=sum.  I think that's what's frustrating me.  Why would they make the question so convoluted?  Don't they run these things by average 6th graders or their teachers?

I'm not arguing with anyone, just venting.  I looked at the CAASP/SB scores for my excellent neighborhood school (high percentage of college grad parents, super high scores on formerly used STAR tests) and their scores are as abysmal as the homeschool-charter's score (33% proficient or better vs. 30%)  

I can't wait to homeschool independently again.

I understand what  you're saying. My 6th grader wouldn't.  She's been taught in her math programs (including Saxon, which she's using successfully at the moment) the vocabulary: addend+addend=sum.

yes. which is why 70a+21b is a sum. That is the very definition of  sum: one thing plus another thing is a sum.

• Like 1

LOL, I have *no idea* what they mean.  Simplifying was my first thought, too.  But if they wanted kids to simply, why not just say simplify?  That's the answer I entered, though.  We'll see if I'm smarter than a 6th grader as soon as I finish this test.  

I would argue the word "simplify" is vague.  Which is simpler: 7(10a + 3b) or 70a +21b?  I could make a good case that the simpler express has the 7 factored out.  Or I could make a case for converting to the sum of 2 terms.

What does simplify mean exactly?

• Like 4

6th grade, y'all.  This is a test for 6th graders.  I don't really have much else to say about it.  I do thank you all for explaining the logic of the test writers.  We can agree to disagree whether the phrasing would be clear to a neurotypical 11 or 12 yo.  Peace.

yes. which is why 70a+21b is a sum. That is the very definition of  sum: one thing plus another thing is a sum.

I would argue the word "simplify" is vague.  Which is simpler: 7(10a + 3b) or 70a +21b?  I could make a good case that the simpler express has the 7 factored out.  Or I could make a case for converting to the sum of 2 terms.

What does simplify mean exactly?

• Like 1

6th grade, y'all.  This is a test for 6th graders.  I don't really have much else to say about it. .

And as you specifically mentioned, the curriculum you use (which I assume is for 6th graders as well) does define a sum as one thing plus another thing. It even gives names ("addend") to the two things. From that I would expect that the concept of a sum should be familiar to a 6th grader.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

And as you specifically mentioned, the curriculum you use (which I assume is for 6th graders as well) does define a sum as one thing plus another thing. It even gives names ("addend") to the two things. From that I would expect that the concept of a sum should be familiar to a 6th grader.

I didn't have any issue with the question, but I get that the OP is a little confused. I think OP took addend + addend = sum to be too literal(? - not sure that's the right word), like the sum is a single number as the answer to a question with a plus sign in it. OP, I'd just consider it a lesson learned. A 6th grade test probably isn't that big a deal anyway, and if this is the only issue, then it's unlikely to make or break the test score (and I live in a state where you're supposed to score >33rd percentile on a standardized test). Realistically though, if I look at 7(10a+3b), and I don't have any more information, then the *only* thing I could possibly do is turn it into 70a+21b, so even if I didn't understand a word of English that's what I'd do.

Edited by luuknam

Why would they make the question so convoluted? Don't they run these things by average 6th graders or their teachers?

I'm not arguing with anyone, just venting. I looked at the CAASP/SB scores for my excellent neighborhood school (high percentage of college grad parents, super high scores on formerly used STAR tests) and their scores are as abysmal as the homeschool-charter's score (33% proficient or better vs. 30%) .

The local public schools do test prep. Kids are taught the "academic vocabulary" for CAASPP. My oldest took that test in 4th and his cohort was happy because they love using laptops for testing versus coloring scantron sheets. There are beta testers. My oldest was one of those, he did the English beta test. Whether my pathetic school district did anything right or wrong their test scores from STAR to CAASPP didn't change, still hovering at the 49% proficient or better for 3rd to 8th, and 11th grades.

Page 41-52 has the math examples for 6th-8th grade http://downloads.capta.org/edu/sbparentgde68.pdf

Examples of academic vocabulary test prep

Smarter Balanced Construct Relevant Vocabulary for English Language Arts and Literacy https://www.smarterbalanced.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ELA-Construct-Relevant-Vocabulary.pdf

Berkeley Unified School District Grade Level Academic Vocabulary http://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/BUSD_Academic_Vocabulary.pdf

Edited by Arcadia

I knew what the question was asking, but my 10, 12 and 16 year olds didn't. My 16 yo could definitely do the math, but was confused by the terminology.  Perhaps this is why "test prep" is helpful. Figuring out what the question is asking for is the key element of getting a correct answer. 

Good luck for your grade 6er!

Edited by wintermom

Cool, I got it right.  (Like it matters)

I think that way of phrasing the problem is common in the newer math curricula public schools are using. My DD just started PS in Sept and is a math wizard. She's a couple grades ahead of what they are teaching but she was getting frustrated daily because of the difference in vocabulary and phrasing of the questions. I've been teaching with old math terms and it's like she needed a translator. Thankfully, she's getting used to it.

Knowing what sum means and knowing what they want on this question are two different things.

Yes, kids who know what sum means and understand the distributive property should hopefully be able to get this. But is the wording something that most kids will have to stop and think about because they haven't seen it before? I think so. Is that good? Maybe? Depends on how often unusual wordings are being used. At some point, that's slowing down the kids who don't know it. And turning them off the test (if every question starts to look "weird" then you really start seconding guessing yourself). 

One of the ways that the test makers make their big money is by coming up with unusual wordings for their questions. Then they put that wording in their textbooks and on the test. The kids who have seen the problems presented that way with that wording do better than the ones who have not. Some of these kids probably don't get it - but like the kids who know "simplify" they are going through steps based on an algorithm they've been taught to associate with the wording. And then, in order to make more money, the test makers change the wording every few years, meaning that if districts don't pony up for the newest editions, their test scores will likely fall. Districts that can't afford to do this will never be able to get ahead. One of the highest correlations between good test scores and school districts is that the school districts that use the test maker's curricula do better on the tests.

In other words, even if it is a good idea to try and stump kids by asking the questions in ways they've never seen before, the playing field is probably not level on this one. Some kids have seen that wording many times. Others have not.

• Like 2