Menu

Prepare for flooding in CA

Liz CA

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big trouble with the last storm is that in addition to raining like crazy down at low altitudes, it was warm enough to rain like crazy up in the Sierras where it usually snows this time of the year.  With the record snow levels melting from being pelted with the rain, the water volume flowing downstream was huge--not just the rain down below, but rain up above AND snow melt up above.  It was, as they say, the perfect storm.  

This next one is supposed to be colder, but it's not giving them much time to recover from this one and prepare.

• Like 2

Evacuation orders are still mostly in effect, especially in the areas around Oroville. Ours has been downgraded to voluntary evacuation. We came home this morning and plan on staying here with a very sharp eye on the latest developments.

The bags remain packed and I feel now more prepared than I was yesterday if we need to leave again.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

Perhaps we should have a standing reservation at this place. It's pretty nice, not expensive and they take doggies. :)

Looks like the evacuation order is not going to be lifted today. Stay safe and hope you have everything you need with you. Schools in affected area are closed until next Tuesday (after President's Day)

"12:20 p.m.

Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea denied rumors that the evacuation order that displaced 188,000 residents would end Monday afternoon at 4:15 p.m.

“I understand there are a lot of rumors out there suggesting the evacuation is going to end at 4:15 today,†Honea said at a press briefing in Oroville. “That is not accurate.

“This is still a dynamic situation...We need to have time to make sure that before we allow people back into those areas it is safe to do so.â€"

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132379669.html

"OROVILLE — Federal officials Monday ordered California to convene a five-member independent board of dam experts to review the condition of Oroville’s auxiliary spillway and the damaged regular concrete spillway, and to make recommendations about how to improve safety during the emergency and over the long-term.

Ironically, it was FERC, which licenses hydropower dams like Oroville, in 2005 that rejected a request to armor the troubled emergency spillway with concrete when critics warned that heavy rain or flooding episodes would flow over that portion of the dam facility and erode the hillside and possibly cause a failure, or “loss of crest control.â€

Officials ramped the main spillway back up Sunday afternoon — from 55,000 cubic feet of water per second to 100,000 — to lower the level of the reservoir and ease the risk of a catastrophic failure of the emergency spillway. The lake’s water level continued to slowly drop Monday, decreasing to 896.24 feet by 11 a.m., nearly five feet below the 901 feet elevation when water flows over the emergency spillway.

With a storm expected to arrive Wednesday, the state Department of Water Resources needs to make room for the water that will be flowing in. The agency aims to lower the 10-mile-long lake by 50 feet elevation. The capacity of the reservoir, California’s second-largest, is about 3.5 million acre feet.

While officials have been releasing about 100,000 cubic feet of water per second, data shows that during that last major rain storms the reservoir had inflow of up to 155,000 cubic feet of water per second on Feb. 9"

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/13/oroville-dam-update-evacuations-remain-in-place/

After Hurricane Katrina, I read an article saying that it had been predicted that the three largest potential natural disaster scenarios in the US included exactly what happened in New Orleans, and an earthquake-related failure of Northern California's very dated levee system.

I guess the levees where my DH grew up have been updated, but it makes sense that an earthquake could be a game changer anyway. I was reading bad things recently about Sacramento levees, and we have family there as well.

I guess the levees where my DH grew up have been updated, but it makes sense that an earthquake could be a game changer anyway. I was reading bad things recently about Sacramento levees, and we have family there as well.

Actually, people in Sacramento have learned a lot over the years. Not only has the city been raised several times but the flood system is working pretty well so far. The 48(?) gates of the weir released a huge amount of water into the Yolo Bypass. This area is usually totally dry - right now it looks like ocean front property. Your family should be safe. I just returned from downtown Sac and everything looked good.

I am just glad that evacuation orders for my area have been downgraded to an alert and I can sleep in my own bed tonight.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 5

New news:

17--IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE FROM THE JCT OF SR 85 TO CAMDEN AVE /IN CAMPBELL/ (SANTA CRUZ CO) - DUE TO SLIP OUTS - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 15 MINUTES

Wow, that is a major, urban, newish, very busy area of the freeway system.  15 minutes is laughable as the delay if this part of that major commute artery is reduced to just one lane.

We are getting the cell that keeps cycling over and over...wind gusts to 70, which really isn't unusual for us when wind hits, but streets are definitely flooded in some spots.  Dh braved going out with friends to watch a friend's band play, but the rest of stayed home to watch movies. 

My class scheduled for tomorrow has been tentatively scheduled for later in the afternoon, depending on whether the instructor's flight can get through.  Good news about that is that I can sleep in tomorrow!  Hope everyone stays safe and dry...

Edited by readinmom
  • Like 1

"CAJON PASS, Calif. -- A San Bernardino County fire truck fell over the side of the 15 freeway in the Cajon Pass when the rain-soaked roadway gave out.

The incident happened in the No. 5 lane of the southbound 15, south of the 138, after 8 p.m." Video and news on link http://abc7news.com/news/video-fire-truck-falls-over-side-of-socal-freeway/1760992/

"Friday, February 17, 2017 11:52PM

STUDIO CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two cars fell into a massive sinkhole in Studio City Friday night, leaving one person injured.

Ambulances and rescue crews were at the scene of the 20-foot sinkhole at about 8 p.m. near Laurel Canyon Boulevard and Woodbridge Street, Los Angeles Fire Department officials said.

Water was seen raging in the hole underneath the roadway, where the cars were flipped upside down."

http://abc7.com/weather/2-cars-fall-into-massive-sinkhole-in-studio-city/1760948/

Oh my God. Southern Cal is getting it now. I need to check with my niece who lives down there.

We have a watch and see weekend here. All eyes are on the spillway, the Oroville lake water level and the numerous rivers connected to this system.

SoCal was hit by rainstorms yesterday but will get a break tomorrow. We would be rain on tomorrow. Stay safe.

"An estimated 50,000 Los Angeles residents are without power after winds took down trees and utility lines.

Amtrak suspended service between San Luis Obispo and Los Angeles because of mudslides in the Santa Barbara area.

Heavy rain caused mudslides, flooding and jammed roads by early afternoon, with the brunt of the storm still yet to hit the region. The 101 Freeway was closed in northern Ventura County due to flooding.

Evacuation warnings have been issued for a swath of Santa Barbara County that was burned by the Shepa fire.

About 180 homes in Duarte were also under evacuation orders, again due to possible mudslides from area burned during brush fires."

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-live-powerful-storms-moving-l-area-strongest-storm-in-years-taking-aim-at-1487305729-htmlstory.html

We lost power Friday afternoon into sometime Saturday night. No big deal compared with what some folks are facing. 

I made a fire and found a hand-cranked flashlight and some unused Chanukkah candles and cooked with gas. I told the wife it was like "camping." She wwas less amused.

The one wild moment I had was taking the kiddo up the hill for a playdate with some friends. It was raining so hard that some of the streets turned into rather raging rivers of water. Unfortunately, I was driving my MINI Cooper S (which is low to the ground) at one point the flow from a side-street so intense that my car briefly lost contact with the road. That was a somewhat disconcerting moment. When we arrived I sort of hinted that maybe a sleep-over would work for me :D

The downhill run was much better.

Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours

Bill

• Like 3

Liz CA, how close are you to the Oroville situation?

I was just wondering how things were going and saw a headline about more rain for southern California.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: 

I am within about 50 miles of the actual dam. I am just north of Sacramento. However, we were warned if the auxiliary spillway had failed, there was a chance that water would have reached us in approx. 7-9 hours. It probably would not have been much higher than about 1 foot - by their calculations. ;)

The other, more pressing concern (since they seem to have lowered the water level at lake Oroville by about 48 feet and averted the dreaded breach) are the water levels in the river system. The Sacramento River flooded parts of Interstate 5, the Feather River feeds into the Sacramento, the Yuba feeds into the Feather River and then there are countless creeks that were nearly non-existent in the last couple of years - they are now roaring with water. The Yolo Bypass which is a large area - usually bone dry - is looking like a lake and in some places just mere feet beneath the bridge. I went over the overpass just before the spillway issues cropped up and saw poles submerged more than 3/4 - I am hoping they were not electrical lines!

All the water they released flows into the Feather River right below the spillway and eventually into the Sacramento - but there are a lot of smaller creeks on the way down that are backing up and coming over the embankments.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

I am within about 50 miles of the actual dam. I am just north of Sacramento. However, we were warned if the auxiliary spillway had failed, there was a chance that water would have reached us in approx. 7-9 hours. It probably would not have been much higher than about 1 foot - by their calculations. ;)

The other, more pressing concern (since they seem to have lowered the water level at lake Oroville by about 48 feet and averted the dreaded breach) are the water levels in the river system. The Sacramento River flooded parts of Interstate 5, the Feather River feeds into the Sacramento, the Yuba feeds into the Feather River and then there are countless creeks that were nearly non-existent in the last couple of years - they are now roaring with water. The Yolo Bypass which is a large area - usually bone dry - is looking like a lake and in some places just mere feet beneath the bridge. I went over the overpass just before the spillway issues cropped up and saw poles submerged more than 3/4 - I am hoping they were not electrical lines!

All the water they released flows into the Feather River right below the spillway and eventually into the Sacramento - but there are a lot of smaller creeks on the way down that are backing up and coming over the embankments.

Is the Yolo bypass near a drawbridge sort of thing (southwest of Yuba City area)? DH's trying to remember...

Thanks for the updates. We're still watching reports and trying to piece together what's up out there. 

Is the Yolo bypass near a drawbridge sort of thing (southwest of Yuba City area)? DH's trying to remember...

Thanks for the updates. We're still watching reports and trying to piece together what's up out there. 

Yes, the Yolo bypass is southwest of YC, sort of between Sacramento and Davis if this helps. There is a draw bridge in Knight's Landing. Is this the one he is thinking of? Or the big golden/yellow Sacramento Tower bridge?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Is+the+Sacramento+bridge+a+drawbridge?&tbm=isch&imgil=Z1MbO7NjT0CBSM%253A%253BuTdv8O-odYJN7M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.shutterstock.com%25252Fsearch%25252Fbridge%2525252Bsacramento%2525252Btower&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Z1MbO7NjT0CBSM%253A%252CuTdv8O-odYJN7M%252C_&usg=__qnUfPcTR4dkslpo44PhxDnPKHbw%3D&biw=1366&bih=610&ved=0ahUKEwiMjN_epZ_SAhVB4CYKHTnEAuMQyjcINw&ei=GzSrWMySG8HAmwG5iIuYDg#imgrc=Z1MbO7NjT0CBSM:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/13/us/california-oroville-dam-spillway-failure/

This article has some good pictures that help with understanding the scale of the Oroville Dam. I'm nervous about the rain this week.

If the actual dam in Oroville collapses, not just a spillway, there are 8 or 9 thousand people who will not have time to evacuate.  They will be in very deep water long before they have been alerted to evacuate.  This was not well thought out and goes back many years.  Hopefully, they will not receive as much rain as is forecast. I heard up to 10 inches expected, in a TV video I watched yesterday.

• Like 1

We got a break in the weather yesterday morning, and decided to go for a little hike on wide multiuse trails in a park about half an hour up the peninsula, hoping to get a little fresh air before the next phase came in.  We never made it--as we were driving, the storm roared in hours earlier than expected and it wasn't reasonable to be mucking around outside.  I have SUCH BAD cabin fever at this point.  Even when it's nice out, the roads to 'natural beauty' are in such questionable condition that it's hard to justify driving on them just for recreation.  In the greater scheme of things, compared with actual flooding and slides this is trivial, but it's starting to really get to me.

• Like 5

If the actual dam in Oroville collapses, not just a spillway, there are 8 or 9 thousand people who will not have time to evacuate.  They will be in very deep water long before they have been alerted to evacuate.  This was not well thought out and goes back many years.  Hopefully, they will not receive as much rain as is forecast. I heard up to 10 inches expected, in a TV video I watched yesterday.

If the actual dam broke, it would be nothing short of catastrophic.

• Like 3

It's Knight's Landing for the win. :-) DH hunted birds there a very long time ago. He remembers it flooding and being closed down in the past, especially when they made massive dumps from Oroville dam.

Thanks for helping connect the dots in the brain so that DH and I can converse about this, lol! 

• Like 2

I've not been online as much but I'm checking to say I hope everyone is safe.  The rain arrived here late, not starting until today instead of yesterday as forecasted. We're at 2.5" since noon and we're in flat areas. The hills are probably getting slammed.

A couple of unregulated rivers are going over tonight in central CA and parts of Manteca are being evacuated due to a levee breech (apparently some farmers fixed it right away, however). My family is okay. We live near a levee, but it is one that is frequently maintained. There are supposed to be 60 mph winds tonight which may lead to power loss, but mostly I feel bad for all the people evacuating problem areas. Many are lower-income rural families who don't have much of a choice about living in flood prone areas. Such is life in California.

Edited by Ms.Ivy

Evacuation underway in Salinas; Flash flood warnings issued for Central Coast http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Evacuation-underway-in-Salinas-Flash-flood-10946207.php

"SALINAS, Calif. — Salinas firefighters began evacuating homes in the Bolsa Knolls neighborhood near Russell Road and San Juan Grade Road just after 11 a.m. Monday.

A second evacuation is happening right now in Royal Oaks along Lewis Road, where massive mudslides landed against rural homes."

Northern California braces for flooding; Don Pedro spillway opened http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-flooding-norcal-oroville-20170220-story.html

"Water rushed down the spillway of Don Pedro Dam in Stanislaus County Monday afternoon for the first time in nearly two decades, as officials sought to prevent the reservoir along the Tuolumne River from overflowing.

Officials were not forcing residents to evacuate, but “we are strongly encouraging people to seek shelter and move to higher ground,†Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson said at a news conference. “Our No. 1 priority is the safety and security of the people here in Stanislaus County.â€

The spillway will remain open for about four days with water flowing through at 18,000 to 30,000 cubic feet per second.

Meanwhile, sheriff’s deputies notified residents who live along the Tuolumne River that their power would be shut off.

Officials urged residents to put together a “go bag†containing important items such as medications and hard-to-replace documents, as well as to plan for the needs of pets and other animals.

By noon Monday, the first wave of the storm had moved through, but forecasters said the more powerful second wave was expected Monday evening."

We woke up to the howling rain at 6am, including my DS12 who is a night owl and deep sleeper. Winds are howling right now. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

I have SUCH BAD cabin fever at this point. Even when it's nice out, the roads to 'natural beauty' are in such questionable condition that it's hard to justify driving on them just for recreation.

We drove to Livermore on Saturday and counted plenty of cows and horses along the way there and back, rain was light showers.

Yesterday we were at Valley Fair as I needed to replace my iPhone 5 which has the dying battery. Not natural beauty but we managed a stroll to Best Buy and back to Valley Fair before it rained again.

ETA:

The creek behind my home is all swampy looking when we walked by the creek to the light rail station. Creek waters aren't high.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

San Jose has open up two day evacuation shelters and one overnight shelter.

"SAN JOSE — The city of San Jose has opened two evacuation centers and one overnight shelter for city residents who want to voluntarily evacuate their homes in low-lying areas along Coyote Creek.

If necessary the city may open a second overnight shelter and keep the Lick center open Tuesday night as well, officials said. The shelter cannot accept pets, but residents can take their pets to the San Jose Animal Shelter for safekeeping."

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/20/san-jose-opens-evacuation-centers-overnight-shelter/

"SAN JOSE — A flood warning remains in effect Tuesday for a stretch of Coyote Creek from the Anderson Dam through San Jose, according to the National Weather Service.

At 11 p.m. Monday, a creek gauge on Coyote Creek just below the Anderson Dam was reporting a level of 9.9 feet, just above the flood level of 9 feet, according to the weather service. As water continues to pour over the spillway at Anderson Reservoir and into Coyote Creek, water levels could continue to rise.

There were various issues Monday caused by fast-rising waters on Coyote Creek, including the rescue of three homeless people in Coyote Creek and the flooding of San Jose mobile home park located next to the waterway"

Link and map of area on link http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/21/san-jose-flood-warning-for-coyote-creek/

• Like 1

"Updated 10 mins ago

SAN JOSE (KGO) -- San Jose firefighters are rescuing dozens of residents by boat in flood waters in the Nordale neighborhood at Senter and Phelan."

http://abc7news.com/weather/at-least-30-homes-flooded-in-san-joses-nordale-neighborhood/1765560/

"Updated 1 hr 59 mins ago

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Five people have been rescued after rising waters of the Coyote Creek flooded a homeless encampment in San Jose this morning, a fire captain said.

Further rescue efforts are underway and as many as 20 people could be stranded in trees, according to fire Capt. Mitch Matlow."

http://abc7news.com/news/dozens-trapped-by-flooding-at-san-joses-los-lagos-golf-course/1765364/

"Tuesday, February 21, 2017 07:45AM

LIVERMORE, Calif. (KGO) -- Severe flooding created a scary situation in Livermore as firefighters rescued several people from their cars near Las Positas College overnight.

Firefighters said they rescued nine people -- seven of them from their cars and two from flooded buildings"

http://abc7news.com/weather/several-people-rescued-from-flooding-in-livermore/1765084/

• Like 1

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Anderson-Reservoir-Dam-spilling-waterfall-spillway-10947314.php

Anderson spillway is open--first time in 11 years.  Major seismic danger is not preventing people from heading over there to photograph the dramatic waterfall.  And that was yesterday.  It's been raining hard all night and through the morning.

• Like 1

We drove to Livermore on Saturday and counted plenty of cows and horses along the way there and back, rain was light showers.

Yesterday we were at Valley Fair as I needed to replace my iPhone 5 which has the dying battery. Not natural beauty but we managed a stroll to Best Buy and back to Valley Fair before it rained again.

ETA:

The creek behind my home is all swampy looking when we walked by the creek to the light rail station. Creek waters aren't high.

Yes, that was far enough south (Valley Fair) that it was just sprinkling, which gave me hope...but as we got closer to Rancho San Antonio it was raining pretty hard, and clearly even harder in the foothills where we were headed. 

We fell back on a visit to REI in Mountain View--lots of walking around inside is possible there!

I just want to get outside for a couple of hours so badly.  All the major roads to the coast are either closed or very questionable.  And trees keep falling randomly in the parks and in the public.  The soil is so wet that it can't necessarily hold the roots against the winds we have been having.  There are people who have been flooded out along the Coyote nearby.  17 has a massive mudslide in the southbound direction--just when they finally looked like they were just about ready to open up the northbound lanes that have been closed for 2 weeks.  The terminal A parking lot in the San Jose airport flooded yesterday due to the Guadalupe River--I thought the flood control measures that were implemented in the late 90's would prevent this as they have prevented flooding in my neighborhood since then, but I guess not. 

Sooner or later this is going to dry out.

Keeping the faith in Silicon Valley...

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

We fell back on a visit to REI in Mountain View--lots of walking around inside is possible there!

Sooner or later this is going to dry out.

We go to the REI at Saratoga Ave sometimes. It has been dry since 9:30am today at Mountain View downtown. If it stays dry later my kids can have lunch at the park after their tuition.

Wednesday to Friday this week is supposed to be dry in my area. Weekend is supposed to be stormy again.

ETA:

It is spring break, library and parks are teeming with children :)

It is still sunny so I'll be able to stroll to Subway to get $6 footlongs for late lunch.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

San Jose homes flooded

"Crews in San Jose were busy Tuesday rescuing people and pets trapped in cars and homes swamped by rising flood waters along Coyote Creek.

Nearly 200 people and more than a dozen pets living in the Rock Springs neighborhood near Senter Road and Phelan Avenue were evacuated as rainfall-fueled runoff from the nearby Anderson Reservoir inundated low-lying and already saturated land with water.

Flood waters tall enough to cover cars and creep above front doors forced rescue teams to deploy boats and go door-to-door searching for stranded residents and motorists. Utilities were also immediately turned off.

An estimated 500 households, which include roughly 60 multi-unit apartment complexes, were impacted by the rising water, according to Sam Liccardo.

Before evacuees can journey to safety, fire crews are decontaminating those who come in contact with flood water, which has been polluted with gasoline, oil, sewage, chemicals and other debris.

"This is not clean swimming pool water," Matlow said. "The water that is coming through here is contaminated. Everyone that has been in that water needs to be decontaminated."

Stanford President Declines 'Sanctuary Campus' Status

Coyote Creek is expected to continue rising as the day goes on. The creek is also expected to remain at flood stage until Wednesday night.

On Tuesday evening, parts of the South Bay Mobile Home Park in San Jose's Berryessa neighborhood became flooded. Residents were seen wading through putrid, knee-deep water, while a police cruiser and some cars slowly drove through.

With water rising in her apartment building on South 12th Street in San Jose, Alondra Calderon and family of seven had just minutes to evacuate on Tuesday.

“They told me we need to take what really important to us, and I am really scared because it’s really flooded,†she said.

VTA buses transported the complex's residents to nearby James Lick High School, where they will be staying indefinitely. Fire officials say the extent of the damage is unclear. The parking lot and all first floor apartments of the complex have been badly damaged, and officials are concerned that the water could swell again.

"They said that we can’t come back for three days maybe," Calderon"

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Flooding-San-Jose-Streets-Coyote-Creek-414378043.html

• Like 1

Carol in Cal is near to the other creek and not this creek if I didn't remember wrong.

San Jose flood update: 14,000 ordered to evacuate overnight; Highway 101 closed http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/22/san-jose-flood-update-mandatory-evacuations-expand-overnight-about-14000-affected/

"SAN JOSE — City officials early Wednesday morning expanded the area for mandatory evacuations to the full 100-year flood zone along Coyote Creek, which includes about 14,000 residents.

The map of mandatory evacuations for homes along the 100-year flood zone along Coyote Creek.

The evacuation includes homes within 250 feet of Coyote Creek, from the southwest side of Highway 101 to north of Interstate 280. Evacuation is mandatory for residents in this area."

Authorities also closed Highway 101 in both directions between the Interstate 280/680 interchange and Interstate 880 as the morning commute began. It is not clear when the roadway will reopen.

Edited by Arcadia

What a mess this must be with two major freeways closed during the morning commute in San Jose.

My husband took the light rail train to work. Our car's brake pads was complaining last night on the drive home. Weekend is supposed to be stormy so hopefully we can have the brake pads replaced before the next storm.

A lady's family photos and her baby's toys were very likely damaged in the flood yesterday. People just grab their kids, purse and tried to walk out in the flood waters or have to be rescued by boats. News last night estimate a week before the evacuees can go back.

• Like 1

I'm not all that far from the flooding miles wise but am on much higher ground. Closer to the Guadalupe, which thankfully did not flood up this way due to the project completed in 2005.

It did flood at the airport, closing Terminal A's parking structure with a few feet of water in it.  Note to self:  Never ever park on the first floor of an airport parking structure in the winter.  The pictures were pretty startling, since I've been there so many times.

There are a lot of people who are displaced, and there was little to no warning.  Very poverty stricken community to start with.  Trying to help.  The Red Cross is doing controversial things like taking donated strollers and other gear away while people who need them are left without.  I think their rationale is that if they can't give them to everyone, then they won't give them to anyone, but it makes it hard to help people.  Outreach efforts have been challenging but thankfully at least there are shelters set up.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/22/editorial-while-we-watched-oroville-san-jose-was-swamped-why/

The finger pointing (water district miscalculating release amounts) is always inevitable but at this point not productive IMHO. Once this season is over, there is time to reassess. Right now, shelters should be prepared. The negligent maintenance in some cases (likely at Oroville Spillway) can be addressed and hopefully a more proactive approach will be adopted but little can be done when we have such a deluge and all reservoirs and rivers are at capacity. Now we need to be prepared as best we can and help each other out.

I just returned my clothes from the bag to the closet yesterday but I do check the OEM regularly.  When the snow melts in March/April and May, we may have more issues to deal with.

Thank God you are safe so far.

Aaaand, too close to the Morgan Hill dam for comfort, a small earthquake this morning in Gilroy.  Ugh.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/02/26/magnitude-3-6-earthquake-rattles-gilroy/

(Gilroy is just down the road from the dam that feeds the Coyote Creek, source of the floodwaters in San Jose.  And that dam has a flaw or damage or something--is particularly seismically sensitive--so much so that the policy is never to let the water behind it rise above 68% of capacity.  Now, of course, it's more or less at 100%.)

Praying that it's not a foreshock for something bigger...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...