Menu

Prepare for flooding in CA

Liz CA

It's either feast or famine in regards to water in this state. Nothing in moderation, it seems.

After years of drought, we are now supposedly facing real flood danger in the valley and coastal areas.

I am really hoping this is a shameless exaggeration perpetrated by otherwise bored meteorologists...but forecast for tomorrow is heavy rain and some of the significant snow in the Sierras is melting a little. :glare:

How do you prepare for flooding - or can you? :)  I requested dh check that the stopper is properly inserted in our small fishing boat...

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sand bags. It is useful to an extent for single family homes and townhomes. We get free ones here http://www.valleywater.org/sandbags/

I stay in a condo. The creek behind my complex as well as the storm drain nearby are now where near flood level. We'll be okay.

Having seen landslides from torrential downpours growing up, I would avoid roads known to be prone to landslides this weekend and budget more travel time to drive to my kids class tomorrow. I would definitely avoid highway one this weekend. My visiting in-laws can tour Highway 1/Big Sur next week when the weather is better.

• Like 4

I would have a list of "things I will die without" and have that stuff located. The box with all our official papers, insurance info, computer backups, favorite kid stuffies, old photos (which should be scanned, btw) etc.

• Like 3

Agree.  If you have a big rubbermaid bin with a lid, put papers and photos in there that you cannot live without.  If you have furniture you value, place them on bricks or something else that you don't care about.  Even a few inches up can make a difference depending on how high the water goes.

Is your home in potential danger from flooding or just the general area?

I took the school crates off the floor of our school room today, which is a converted garage and has flooded before. We have a sump to move water to the street, but if the power goes out we might have a problem. I did a few other standard emergency prep things today but I am assuming everything will be okay. Emergency prep and meteorology terms like "atmospheric river" are interesting things to teach the kids, too.

Your city or county should have free sandbags and there are videos online to learn how to fill and stack them if you have never done it before.

• Like 2

We are doing a huge landscaping project since June and guess what part is still not finished. Yep, drainage. A couple of downspouts still end in the planters right against the house and even a small rain results in big puddles there. Our forecast is only a little rain tomorrow, and if it doesn't happen, they may actually connect those things before next week, when they promise several days of rain in a row.

• Like 2

Agree.  If you have a big rubbermaid bin with a lid, put papers and photos in there that you cannot live without.  If you have furniture you value, place them on bricks or something else that you don't care about.  Even a few inches up can make a difference depending on how high the water goes.

Is your home in potential danger from flooding or just the general area?

Well, our whole are is situated in a triangle between three rivers. One river may not affect us that much directly but it drains into a nearby river. There are levees of course. We have only lived here going on six years and there has never been a flooding during those years.

I'm in Silicon Valley, and the mudslides on 17 and runoff into Lexington  from the last storm were quite severe.  The next one is supposed to be a lot worse, raining extremely heavily both Saturday and Sunday.  The ground is already completely saturated.  It's a mess.  I have friends that I'm very concerned about who live in Santa Cruz on a hill not far (enough) above the San Lorenzo River.

We are probably going to be fine where we are, unless the storm drains get blocked, which is unlikely.  I expect the street to flood but not the sidewalks or house.  I'm glad I went to church tonight--it's anybody's guess whether that is going to be a reasonable thing to do on Sunday or not.

Yosemite is not recovered from the Rim Fire yet.  There will probably be a lot of mudslides there, big ones.  The Merced River through the valley is supposed to flood, with the highest crest in 20 years.  What is so strange is that we had a very cold storm come through that dumped a lot of snow in the Sierras, but these next two storms are a lot warmer, so they are going to drop rain on top of the snow up to fairly high altitudes and wash a lot of the snowpack away.  It's really a shame, because here in CA snowpack that persists late into the spring is where most of our summer water comes from, and we were headed toward having a non-drought year finally.  Ironically, this pattern means that although we might have a non-drought amount of precipitation, we are not going to be able to capture that water and use it this summer, which really, really bites.

Plus the fallback of having water go into the ground and replenish the aquifers is not as available as a backup for the summer, because many of the really big aquifers have collapsed permanently during the prior drought years, so there is nowhere for that water to go except down the rivers and out to sea.

Plant veggie gardens and fruit trees, folks.  Prices of produce are going to go up.

• Like 7

We are doing a huge landscaping project since June and guess what part is still not finished. Yep, drainage. A couple of downspouts still end in the planters right against the house and even a small rain results in big puddles there. Our forecast is only a little rain tomorrow, and if it doesn't happen, they may actually connect those things before next week, when they promise several days of rain in a row.

Can you dig a shallow trench to encourage the water to head towards the street?

• Like 2

Can you dig a shallow trench to encourage the water to head towards the street?

No, the planters are surrounded by a stone patio. There are some drain pipes under the patio that lead to the street, but they still have to be connected. Hopefully, tomorrow.

• Like 1

The recent rains here in Los Angeles have been well-spaced and gentle (and very welcome).

I do know what its like when sustained pounding rains batter California (as it happens here in some years) so I hope everyone up North says safe and flood free.

Bill

• Like 5

You might need to stock up on bottled water.  When our area experienced a 100 years flood, the water treatment plant was flooded as well.  We were without potable water, except for what we boiled and treated,  for about eight  days.   

Drinking water is always a tricky thing. I get very cranky when something happens to my water supply. I have the Big Berkey. Maybe I can filter rain water.

• Like 1

Drinking water is always a tricky thing. I get very cranky when something happens to my water supply. I have the Big Berkey. Maybe I can filter rain water.

I have a big berkey too... filtering rain water is exactly what I plan to do, if needs be!

• Like 1

And guess what...Nothing much happens here in terms of severe weather and dh just informed me that our good ole' generator is not firing up - possibly cracked fuel line. :crying: At least we got a good supply of bottled water, candles and food.

We may be looking at a new one. This house is completely electric. When we lived in the foothills we had propane gas and gravity-fed water from a storage tank. Eeek, we are not well prepared this time around.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

That's bad.

Bill

Yup.

They have gotten a lot of snow in the Sierras in the last week and a half, several feet.

This new storm is supposed to snow a little, and then change to rain up to about 7000-8000 feet.  That is VERY high for it to be raining in January.  And so the existing snow will get pounded off and melt in addition to flood level rainfalls.  It's pretty alarming.

• Like 4

Woke up to howling winds. Outdoor visitor parking lots are wet so I guessed at least one round of rain has come and gone.

We have a small camp stove and cans of paraffin fuel courtesy of a science (probably chemistry) kit. We have plenty of dry rations and gallons of water though. My ice cube trays and container are full in case of power outage to keep the frozen stuff chilled.

We don't have a generator. Power outages rarely last longer than two hours for us thankfully and my complex's backup generator kicks in to keep the common corridors, stairs and common parking garage lights on. Our powerbanks and kids laptops are fully charged. Plenty of batteries for flashlights.

We'll have to drive for kids class later. Both freeways that we can use are on higher land so we should have no problem other than low visibility. Headlights, wipers and brakes working thankfully. We drove with a faulty headlight once in the rain and it was not a good experience.

Hope no one gets flood waters or down power lines this weekend and next week. The heaviest storm is suppose to be tomorrow in my area.

• Like 3

My shopaholic husband is shopping with his visiting parents :) the worst part of the storm in my area is suppose to be from midnight to 10am. We were lucky today in that drop off was a slight drizzle and pick up was dry. The grass is a lovely green coming back from East Bay to South Bay.

Many people were out doing grocery shopping. Trader Joe's, Safeway, Whole Foods and Grocery Outlet were well stocked when we went grocery shopping-after dropping kids off for their class this morning.

• Like 2

Just found out that flooding is expected in Santa Clara County after all.  Carp.

The Guadalupe River is expected to flood tomorrow afternoon, in our neighborhood; fortunately we are on much higher ground, but the last time this happened they couldn't physically clear it because there were no drains.  There was a big downstream project built since them to prevent this, which is why flood stage is 4 feet higher now, but AFAIK they didn't build any drains, because it wasn't supposed to flood even in a hundred year scenario anymore.

• Like 1

Just found out that flooding is expected in Santa Clara County after all.  Carp.

The Guadalupe River is expected to flood tomorrow afternoon, in our neighborhood; fortunately we are on much higher ground, but the last time this happened they couldn't physically clear it because there were no drains.  There was a big downstream project built since them to prevent this, which is why flood stage is 4 feet higher now, but AFAIK they didn't build any drains, because it wasn't supposed to flood even in a hundred year scenario anymore.

Yeah, the wind is coming from the south more than the west, which sometimes defeats the Santa Cruz mountains blocking your rain. Glad you're on higher ground.

• Like 1

The Guadalupe River is expected to flood tomorrow afternoon, in our neighborhood; fortunately we are on much higher ground, but the last time this happened they couldn't physically clear it because there were no drains.

My area is supposed to be in the one in a hundred year flood zone. Guadalupe River and a pump station is behind my complex. If I go to the top floor of my complex with a binoculars tomorrow, I could see if the river is near crest point. I am following the stream gage reports on below link for interest http://alert.valleywater.org/sgi.php

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

PS  We are on higher ground, and it's the ground with roads and such on it.  We are not going to be stranded or anything.  It's not like we're on a hill and expect water all around us.  Rather, we are up from the river a mile or two away from it and just fine.  And this is a warmish storm.

There are some homes that are likely to flood though.  I hope the word has gotten out--it was rather difficult for me to find.  If the forecast looks the same tomorrow morning, expecting cresting/flooding in the mid to late afternoon, I'm going to check on that and maybe do some door knocking.  This is so far from what we expect here that I think it's gotten away from people's awareness.  And it has not rained here all that much in this storm yet--the problem is upstream.

• Like 2

My area is supposed to be in the one in a hundred year flood zone. Guadalupe River and a pump station is behind my complex. If I go to the top floor of my complex with a binoculars tomorrow, I could see if the river is near crest point. I am following the stream gage reports on below link for interest http://alert.valleywater.org/sgi.php

We are near station 5023 on your list.  Guadalupe River near Almaden Expressway.  

The data I'm concerned about is here:

http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/graphicalRVF.php?id=GUDC1

• Like 2

News is not good :(

"Showers and gusty winds across the Bay Area on Saturday left at least two people dead, while power outages, delayed flights and closed highways frustrated thousands of others.

A Santa Clara County reservoir spilled over, while major creeks and rivers — including San Jose’s Guadalupe River — were poised to overflow their banks.

And that was all before record amounts of rainfall were expected to begin pounding Northern California late Saturday night and early Sunday.

“There are now 22 major spots in Northern and Central California that are expected to flood,’’ meteorologist Jan Null, owner of Golden Gate Weather Services in Saratoga, said Saturday evening. “It’s not maybe — they are forecast to reach flood level.’’"

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/07/bay-area-storm-2-dead-flooding-expected/

• Like 3

We have a huge redwood just feet away from my and the kiddo's bedroom. Wondering whether or not we should sleep in the kitchen tonight.

Stay warm, dry and safe everyone!

Oak trees worry me more. It seems it's harder to tell if they are rotting and one day they just keel over as it happened it my former neighbor's driveway. Luckily it fell on the garage roof and not the house.

• Like 1

Thanks for well wishes. I hope fellow CAnians had an uneventful night. We moved our mattresses to the kitchen after all, even the dogs' crates. Small, single story house and it might not have made a big difference but putting our rooms and furniture between us and the tree helped me to sleep better. Felt like a mini adventure!

My neighbor's tree (redwood too) fell on his roof a few years ago and hence my worry. Luckily no one was hurt. Ours is so close to the rooms and seems to come alive in high winds!

• Like 4

We shored up our neighbor's listing fence on their side & our side as well.  Made sure we have bottled water, dry wood & flashlights.  Now we are just watching it come down in buckets.  Some thunder last night as well.  We live very near Canoas Creek, but it is not expected to go over.  In 1997 we lived right on Coyote Creek and that was exciting.  Stay safe everyone.

Amber in SJ

• Like 4

Rain stopped before 10am. Little to no wind judging by the palm trees outside and other trees by the street. Cars are out on the road. Streets are the usual level of wetness after a rain. USPS is delivering Sunday packages.

My in-laws are out shopping at Walmart, they are bored and used to being out and about in monsoon rain.

ETA:

Rain started again. Just looked out from the complex's corridor at the Guadalupe River and it is nowhere near crest point :)

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

We are getting sheets of rain right now. The temp was F58 at 6am this morning. It has warmed up so much. We have not had day time temps in the high fifties for a while. Right now, it's F60. No wonder the snow is melting in the Sierras - it's F43 in Tahoe.

• Like 2