Menu

What books are you giving as gifts this Christmas?

Care to share what books you're planning to give as gifts this Christmas, and to whom?

Any new titles you're excited to give? Old favourites you're planning to share?

We'll be giving three copies (four if you count our kids') of Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip - Book 3. These are to adult friends who loved the Moomins when they were kids. Volumes 2 and 1 were our big gifts for each of the last two years. Also a couple copies of Kage Baker's latest book, The House of the Stag, to adult friend who love her work. I haven't decided which books to get for other people's kids this year.

Mil a copy of "Crunchy Cons" as she told my dd's this summer that their dad and I were hippies- LOL. We are anything but dropped-out and drugged-up. I want to give her a more accurate definition:001_smile:

Hoping that Peter Lawhead's 3rd book in the "Hood" series is out for my oldest dd.

We're having a local book-signing by Jan Brett soon and want to get dd 5 one of her books (signed of course).

you are welcome Lisa! I love, love that catalog. I keep contemplating setting up a budget so I can order from them consistently every month...right now it is once in a blue moon, but I love pouring over the catalog and wishing for stuff!

One of my dear friends has been writing a blog for awhile now, and it's been published as a sort of devotional book for Christian women. I'm thinking of getting it for my MIL, even though my friend is a young mom with young kids, so the specifics don't apply to my MIL's life. But trusting God applies, right?

Anyway, here's a link to the book, in case you're interested:

Just Enough Grace

Wendi

Caedmon's Song for baby--it tells the story of his name.

Polar Express for ds7--it's his fav movie, & it was his fav audio book from the library a while back, but I'm not sure he's ever seen the actual print book, lol. Mil took him & dd5 to pick out books a couple of weeks ago, & he found a copy & asked for it, & she said no because there "weren't enough words on the pg to be worth the price." I tried to explain that the PICTURES are the value, & she said that the movie has more of a story line. :001_huh: Ah, well. I'd been planning to get it for Christmas anyway.

I'd like something nice to match for dds but haven't chosen anything yet. Of course, we use books like wall paper, so we really don't need any more. :D

I got Peter Pan in a nice hardback copy for younger son, and The Complete Sherlock Holmes for the elder.

I got a compliation of stories by Patrick McManus, "Kerplunk!" for my dad, who fondly remembers his rural youth.

"The Three-Pound Enigma: The Human Brain and the Quest to Unlock Its Mysteries" by Shannon Moffett for my psychiatrist DH.

For dd, "The Hobbit" (version illustrated by Michael Hague) and "I Am The Great Horse". Perhaps the Dragon or Fairy books, both by Michael Hague.

For ds, "The Tales of Beetle the Bard" and "The Invention of Hugo Cabret". Also, I already have one of the Mythbusters books put aside for him. Also considering "George's Secret Key to the Universe".

Prior to Christmas, I'm planning to send a copy of "The Little Boy's Christmas Gift" to my niece & nephew. I love the illustrations in this book -- truly gorgeous for a child's picture book.

Not sure yet about my other nephew (13yo). He reads a lot, but I like to try & find him something unique that he hasn't read for one of his gifts.

Not sure about other books I'll be giving this year. Perhaps a 'classic' for my dh. And, I love Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, so I just need to find the right person to go with it. ;) Perhaps my sil...

Edited by Stacia

There are some really fun ideas here. I like the idea of giving a book along with a wreath. Thanks for mentioning the audio-book sale, Julie. That's not a site I've been to before so I'm having fun checking through to see what is on offer.

I seem to be out of ideas for my book giving this year. I'm coming up with plenty of ideas for my younger ds(13) but not for anyone else. I love giving books as gifts and part of that fun for me is trying to find just the right book for each person or sharing a book I have enjoyed and think the receiver will as well.

Any excuse to buy more books... right? :D

I found The Daring Book For Girls on sale (on the Bargain table) for $12, so I bought two, one for my dd and one for my niece. I don't like it terribly much, but it was cheap, and it's ok.

I want to get dd the rest of her LHB series in hardback--she has the first 4, and I'm looking to complete her set.

I may get the artisan bread book for mil, but she can get the recipe off the 'net, and she's thrifty that way, so she may not "want" it.

It's in my blood to give books as gifts for all occasions. You can never have too many.

Oldest daughter is getting (sh don't tell) the complete HP series - got it for a great price at Scholastic. She is also getting the third in the Blue Balliett series - The Calder Game. She shares a first name with the main character, which is why we read the books in the first place. Love the combination of kids' mystery, giftedness, and art in all three.

Nieces are getting the "Alexander" books.

Younger daughter is getting some B4FIAR books - we have been checking them out of the library and she keeps wanting to read them again, so we need to keep them around the house.