Menu

Horseback riding lessons?

mommyoffive

I wouldn't hesitate to visit several barns/instructors before making a decision.  I like to know that an instructor's expectations are in line with my own (things like time commitment, shows, etc.)  Ditto the safety comment.  I wanted my kids to appreciate the entire experience and the off-the-horse work has been just as important as the riding.  Let your kids see what opportunities are available with each type of riding (English vs. Western.)  I think that generally speaking it's easier to start English and transition to Western if desired rather than the other way around.  

Definitely buy your own helmets.  We started with just boots and helmets before adding other gear (kids rode in jeans to start.)  

Prices are going to vary tremendously depending on where you live and what kind of facility you find.  Ask around for recommendations.

• Like 1

For type, I would consider doing English saddle, primarily because it tends to be much easier to switch from English to Western than from Western to English if they decide they want to try the other type later on.  

Agree with others, your kids will probably find it a lot more fulfilling and useful long term to find a place that actually teaches how to care for the horse, chores, tacking up, but most especially SAFETY.  And find a place that emphasizes quality of instruction and support and encouragement and professionalism, not WIN, WIN, WIN in competitions.

Call around.  Prices and what they offer will vary.  Write down exactly what it is they offer, what times they normally offer riding lessons, what their age limits are (some have a lowest end age limit), etc. and make sure they have insurance.  Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  And see if you can take a tour to get a feel for the people in charge and the safety factor.

• Like 1

Ask around and get plenty of recommendations. IME, good riding instructors can be tough to find. There are lots of horror stories about bad ones. I think some of them get into instruction because of their horse skills, but don't have the people skills necessary to be a good teacher.

When you get some recommendations, go visit before you decide.  Besides checking out how the trainer interacts with your dc and with the horses, take a good look at the facility.  Look for well-maintained fences outside and solid horse stalls inside with plenty of turn-around room. 

Pay attention to how any dogs at the stable behave - are they allowed off leash near the horses?  If so, are they consistently calm, or do they jump and nip?  Are they allowed to roam or play in the arena or other areas where people are riding?  (NO is the right answer)

Ask how much turn-out time horses get each day.  Ask if the horses will be in their stalls at lesson time or if your child will have to go outside to bring in the horse for the lesson.  Ask if students saddling the horses are supervised. 

Ask to watch a lesson of other beginning students so you can see how the instructor deals with beginning students.  The owner may not be the instructor for the beginners - ask to see a lesson by the actual instructor your child would have. 

• Like 1

Money burning is a much cheaper hobby than showing horses. I would make sure that unless you are willing to spend the money you go somewhere that your child will not be expected to show at some point. Also, showing horses is a complete lifestyle. It is not like piano lessons, lol.

• Like 2

What should I be looking for when trying to find lessons?

What price is good?

What do you start with?

Any advice?

SweetChild took lessons semi-regularly for about two years. We had zero intentions of ever competing or showing or even owning a horse. None of that was even the remotest possibility. It was just not, by any stretch, financially possible.

If that is your situation, be upfront with those expectations. The hardest part for us was finding a teacher who would take her on as an occasional (twice/month) lesson, and also was not going to push for competitions and shows. SweetChild just really loved horses and we wanted to do what we could, which wasn't much. I'm glad we did, but sad that we didn't have the means to do more- I think not only would she have become very very good at it, but also it would have been very good for her.

We bought her own helmet, and chaps to cover from knee to ankle. Boots or shoes with a heel (not sneakers or wedge style) were also needed. I think riding gloves, also for winter outdoor lessons.

DD13 takes private lessons at $50 for a half hour.  I believe group lessons are $40 for 45 mins.  We are in the Northeast.  There are many barns around us.  

DD does show, but I have no intention of buying her a horse.  Really, I don't.   :)

It is a super expensive sport, but it changed her life in such a positive way that I am willing to make sacrifices for it.  And I do.  

DD works many, many hours at the barn per week.  In return, she gets free riding time.  And the joy of being around wonderful people.  Her work ethic is incredible because of it. Last night, she was given a huge bag of gifts as a thank you from a woman who sees dd regularly.  

My dd fell in love with it immediately and wants to be there every second of the day; other students at the barn just ride once a week for years, with no intention of showing.  You just never know.  

Have fun!

ETA: I called local tack shops for recommendations.  

Edited by lisabees

Another option, if you have on in your area, is to inquire with the local 4-H group.  My daughter took lessons from a senior in the 4-H horsemanship group last year. She was much cheaper than a regular barn and did a fantastic job.  She was able to teach her both Western and English styles.  It was a good introduction for dd who just loves horses and wanted a chance to ride. Dd went on to compete in a couple 4-H shows and small local shows and did very well after just having 3 months of lessons. Dd really could care less about the shows though.  She just wanted a chance to ride and be around horses.  

• Like 1

Another option, if you have on in your area, is to inquire with the local 4-H group.  My daughter took lessons from a senior in the 4-H horsemanship group last year. She was much cheaper than a regular barn and did a fantastic job.  She was able to teach her both Western and English styles.  It was a good introduction for dd who just loves horses and wanted a chance to ride. Dd went on to compete in a couple 4-H shows and small local shows and did very well after just having 3 months of lessons. Dd really could care less about the shows though.  She just wanted a chance to ride and be around horses.  

Oh that is smart. 

We have been meaning to join 4-H for years anyhow.

For type, I would consider doing English saddle, primarily because it tends to be much easier to switch from English to Western than from Western to English if they decide they want to try the other type later on.  

Agree with others, your kids will probably find it a lot more fulfilling and useful long term to find a place that actually teaches how to care for the horse, chores, tacking up, but most especially SAFETY.  And find a place that emphasizes quality of instruction and support and encouragement and professionalism, not WIN, WIN, WIN in competitions.

Call around.  Prices and what they offer will vary.  Write down exactly what it is they offer, what times they normally offer riding lessons, what their age limits are (some have a lowest end age limit), etc. and make sure they have insurance.  Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.  And see if you can take a tour to get a feel for the people in charge and the safety factor.

Yup.  Take a tour!  They should be happy to show you around.

• Like 1