Menu

Quick anxiety / health question

Peaceful Isle

Okay, so I have had times where my heart will suddenly race, and it comes out of no where. It only lasts a few minutes, but I feel very anxious during those times.

I also feel , daily, like my body is constantly vibrating, almost humming inside.

I have been diagnosed with depression in the past, and slight anxiety. Does this sound like all part of it?

I have had past experiences these last ten years that have put me in "fight flight" mode quite a bit. It's so much better now , but I'm still suffering from the affects I think.

I plan on seeing the dr again soon, but just curious if anyone here has had similar symptoms, and what they did to help them.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like tachycardia --- when your heart races --- and that physical event can cause, of course, you to feel anxious, etc, as your heart is beating too fast to get blood distributed properly. 

I'd go into the DR and tell him about what's happening. If possible, take your pulse when this next occurs, to see what exactly your heart rate is. I wouldn't write it off as a panic attack until/unless you eliminate physical causes.

• Like 5

I second Stephanie's comment.

I would make a point, the next time it happens, determine which happens first: the accelerated heart rate OR the anxiety issues.

Kris

This doesn't necessarily help: a panic attack can start with a racing heart, with no apparent anxiety trigger.

And it can be very difficult to distinguish from atrial fibrillation not related to anxiety. Only a dr. can help sort this out, so that visit is called for soon either way.

• Like 1

This may have Psychological causes, but I think you should not assume that, before ruling out a Physical issue. If it comes out of nowhere, I would find that very troubling if I was an M.D.

Well now, anxiety and other mental health issues are very much physical issues with physical causes, we need to avoid drawing a line between psychological and physical.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

Gong to see the dr, for sure, but hope they take me seriously. I am a very calm person on the outside, mostly because I hate any type of confrontation.

Anyone else have the inside shakes like me? It feels like internal vibrating or buzzing, and is through the whole body. Just curious.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

Gong to see the dr, for sure, but hope they take me seriously. I am a very calm person on the outside, mostly because I hate any type of confrontation.

Anyone else have the inside shakes like me? It feels like internal vibrating or buzzing, and is through the whole body. Just curious.

I wonder if magnesium or possibly potassium deficiency could cause this? Prairiewindmama mentioned electrolytes and I think that is worth looking into.

• Like 1

I also have depression and anxiety. I don't think I'd call a racing heart a panic attack in and of itself, but definitely a sign of anxiety.

The feeling of vibrating I associate with drinking too much coffee. Often I'll think I have some extra unexplained anxiety and then I'll remember I had an extra mug of coffee that morning.

• Like 1

have you had your thyroid checked?  or your adrenals?

all of what you described - I will have when my thyroid/adrenals are out of whack.  including the depression and anxiety, the racing/palps and "inner trembling"  (for me, the last is specifically t3 related).

thyroid:

FREE t3

FREE t4

reverse t3

tsh is not a thyroid hormone.  it is a pituitary hormone that tells the thyroid to make thyroid hormones. (of which there are five, plus calcitonin) most drs will ONLY test the tsh.  it. is. not. a reliable measure of thyroid function on it's own.

adrenals -you want a 24 hr cortisol spit test.  blood test is not reliable.

there are other things that can affect thyroid and adrenals - but those are the starter.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Okay, so I have had times where my heart will suddenly race, and it comes out of no where. It only lasts a few minutes, but I feel very anxious during those times.

I also feel , daily, like my body is constantly vibrating, almost humming inside.

I have been diagnosed with depression in the past, and slight anxiety. Does this sound like all part of it?

I have had past experiences these last ten years that have put me in "fight flight" mode quite a bit. It's so much better now , but I'm still suffering from the affects I think.

I plan on seeing the dr again soon, but just curious if anyone here has had similar symptoms, and what they did to help them.

Hello Peaceful Isle,

I was searching the forum today after a trip to the ER on Friday. My first experience was accute, some pain followed by dizziness, racing heart, and shaking. Thought it might be a cardiac event, but they ruled it out and want further Thyroid testing. After that accute event, I've been having episodes like you describe with the vibrating feeling. It is not sparked by anything and comes out of nowhere. I also have a past history of the fight/flight experiences as well. Were you able to figure anything out? I have a doctors appointment for next week, and I already wrote down the thyroid tests that previous posters suggested. Are there any additional tests you would suggest? Feel free to PM if you prefer. Thanks!