Menu

Does anyone recognize this recipe? (mushrooms, bacon, sour cream, etc.)

ILiveInFlipFlops

So my family has this recipe that used to be made for holidays when previous generations hosted, but now that it's gotten down to me, no one makes it anymore. It's a long story about why I won't call and ask anyone (unless I absolutely have to), so I'm hoping someone here will know it. 

Basically, it goes something like this: Boil white button mushrooms, drain, add chopped bacon (and maybe onions?), add sour cream and mix it all together, and serve warm. 

I know that seems really simple :lol: I mainly want guidance on the order to do things in, amounts, etc. 

Does this ring any bells with anyone? Bonus points if you can link me to an actual recipe that I can easily save into Plan to Eat.

Thanks!

Wow.  I don't know, but it sounds amazing (minus the onions).

I saw bacon so I had to respond. 

It is absolutely to die for. I don't like onion either (and it doesn't like me anymore, sheesh), and I don't recall them being a problem. I'll be sure to post the recipe when I get it. 

If you weren't boiling the mushrooms, I'd think this http://natashaskitchen.com/2013/01/26/mushrooms-in-a-sour-cream-sauce/

Thanks, I saw that, and it's the closest I recipe found online, but the mushrooms are definitely boiled, and there's definitely bacon. I'm sure that one is a variation on a general theme though. It's funny that I always thought this recipe was a kind of 50s/60s processed food kind of recipe (like the strawberry jello salad with pecans, pineapple chunks, and sour cream :ack2: ), but in my searching, it does seem like the origins are Eastern European, which is the ancestry on my father's side. 

OK, it finally got late enough that I could call my aunt without waking her. She's emailing me the recipe. I'll be sure to post it when I have it. It's really super simple, I just want to make sure I get it the way my family likes it. They're not terribly flexible when it comes to this stuff. Things always have to made the "right" way, the brand of ham always has to be exactly the same, etc. I've grown up with a complex about cooking for the older generations in my family!

ETA: I just realized my bacon brand is not Oscar Myer  :scared:  :svengo: I wonder if it's worth the trip to go and get some. Probably not...

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 5

O.K.  We understand that it is Christmas Eve and all and that you need to make amazing mushroom stuff, but we're kinda wondering if you received the recipe, yet.  :toetap05:

TIA! :thumbup:

:lol: Sorry, we were hosting the Christmas events, so the days around Christmas were crazy, and then I forgot all about it. 

I was right, it was really very simple. My aunt sent me general instructions because she's been making them so long she knows how to just eyeball everything. When we made them, we used three pounds of mushrooms, which turned out to be barely enough for 11 people because of how much they shrink when cooked. I actually started with 1.5 pounds, which seemed like a ton until we saw what was left after boiling!

So...three pounds of white button mushrooms, cut into fairly large chunks (because they will shrink a lot). Bring to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes. Drain and set aside, and in the same pan, fry a half pound of chopped bacon (we actually wanted a little more, FWIW), and when it's about halfway cooked, add a handful of finely chopped onion (we used white, maybe 1/3 cup? I'm sure you could leave it out) and finish cooking both until bacon is done and onions are soft. Add the mushrooms back into the pot, mix together, and add sour cream by the spoonful until it gets to a sauciness that you like. Keep in mind that the sour cream kind of breaks down as the mushrooms sit for a bit, so you may want to add a bit more than you think you'd like. DH accidentally added what looked like WAY too much, but by the time we were sitting down to eat, it was almost perfect. 

That's it. Really easy, very customizable based on preferences, not terribly healthy :D The kids loved it and were like, "Why don't we make this ALL THE TIME?" I might try to see if I could tweak it to be a little healthier--maybe roasted mushrooms? Less bacon, chopped very finely? Just enough sour cream to add a bit of extra flavor? 3/4 of us love mushrooms in any form, so it might work.

Thanks for helping me look!

• Like 7

Sounds yummy! If you want to make it a little healthier, what about adding chicken broth and using less sour cream? It would thin the sauce down but still be delicious and less fattening. Or replace some of the sour cream with fat free evaporated milk (not the sweetened condensed kind).

I make a potato gratin dish and replaced half of the cream with evaporated milk. Still very yummy.

Edited by Storygirl

:lol: Sorry, we were hosting the Christmas events, so the days around Christmas were crazy, and then I forgot all about it. 

I was right, it was really very simple. My aunt sent me general instructions because she's been making them so long she knows how to just eyeball everything. When we made them, we used three pounds of mushrooms, which turned out to be barely enough for 11 people because of how much they shrink when cooked. I actually started with 1.5 pounds, which seemed like a ton until we saw what was left after boiling!

So...three pounds of white button mushrooms, cut into fairly large chunks (because they will shrink a lot). Bring to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes. Drain and set aside, and in the same pan, fry a half pound of chopped bacon (we actually wanted a little more, FWIW), and when it's about halfway cooked, add a handful of finely chopped onion (we used white, maybe 1/3 cup? I'm sure you could leave it out) and finish cooking both until bacon is done and onions are soft. Add the mushrooms back into the pot, mix together, and add sour cream by the spoonful until it gets to a sauciness that you like. Keep in mind that the sour cream kind of breaks down as the mushrooms sit for a bit, so you may want to add a bit more than you think you'd like. DH accidentally added what looked like WAY too much, but by the time we were sitting down to eat, it was almost perfect. 

That's it. Really easy, very customizable based on preferences, not terribly healthy :D The kids loved it and were like, "Why don't we make this ALL THE TIME?" I might try to see if I could tweak it to be a little healthier--maybe roasted mushrooms? Less bacon, chopped very finely? Just enough sour cream to add a bit of extra flavor? 3/4 of us love mushrooms in any form, so it might work.

sounds so good...

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

This sounds delicious!  Do you use it as a dip, or as a topping, or as something else?