Menu

What do I get my brother for Christmas?

Daria

My brother is 45, works in the tech industry, flies planes (owns 2, even if he didn't that's not in my budget!) and kayaks as hobbies.  Although, to be honest, I'm not sure how much he kayaks these days.  I see him once a year for 2 days at Christmas, and we mostly talk about how my mom is doing.

A few years ago, I got my mother a Kiva card for Christmas, and he commented on how cool it was, so the next year I got him one and he went on and on about how much he liked it, and how he felt like an entrepreneur.   So, I got him another the next year and he never spent it and instead let it expire.  They sent me an email saying it would be converted to a donation for operating expenses.  The following year he again told me "I want a Kiva card", so I got him another one, and again it expired.  Last year, I got him knives which he seemed to like.  

So this year, I asked and he said "a Kiva card", and I was like "really, cause you didn't use the last two" and he said "OK, something for the kitchen."  I said "Well, what do you like to cook?" and he said "Meat, veggies, and coffee, especially coffee."  

Any ideas on what to get him that can be shipped Amazon prime?

A cool insulated coffee mug - I love my hydro-flask, but there are many different kinds.

A folding digital meat thermometer

A new coffee maker

A pour-over coffee maker - Bodum makes a nice one,and Amazon carries it.

A paleo cookbook?

Anne

LOL....an Instapot!  Of course! 

What is your budget?  I am guessing about $100 based on your previous gifts.  

For a $100 you could get

2-3lbs of different coffees from a local roaster about $10-15lb in our area....(not Starbucks)

A Hydroflask for coffee ($25-40)

A pour over filter ($25-40)

Some really good, fair trade coffee beans, and a good grinder if he doesn't already have one?

Sorry, I haven't got any brand suggestions for good coffee, though. I can't drink it and my DH doesn't, so we're a coffee-free household unless my family visits and they drink Maxwell House.

Different kinds of coffee brewing instruments ... Chemex, Aeropress, French Press, moka pot, Turkish coffee pot

Different kind of coffee grinder ... this one is small for travel

Different books on coffee 

Fancy storage containers for coffee 

Coffee joulies

Brands of coffee (I don't know if they are fair trade or organic) ... Verve Coffee, Stumptown Grinders, Intelligentsia

Does he have a cordless kettle to boil water quickly?  It's handy for all the various methods of brewing.

Yeah - i've got a coffee lover on my gift list.

If you wanted to go the meat route ...

Shredder claws

Himalayan Salt Block (I just came across this in my gift research this year)

meat thermometer - wireless or instant read or I think I saw one that would transmit directly to your smartphone!

Wood planks for grilling