Menu

Tell me about melatonin

maize

I shy away from taking anything while pregnant, and always from messing around with hormones, but...I've been getting only 3-5 hours of sleep per night and it's not sustainable. I usually go to sleep fine, but wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep. 

I'm considering giving melatonin a try, would appreciate any input or experience.

I have no idea whether it's the right tool for the job in that case, but I would probably give it a try.  FWIW, I have read that often less-is-more than the higher doses that used to be recommended.  I buy 500 mcg chewable (like this one) and often cut them in half.  Too much melatonin makes me wake in the night and/or have strange dreams, but maybe I'm weird.

ETA, http://news.mit.edu/2005/melatonin

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

The dose that works for one person can be totally different for another.

For DD, it helps her stay asleep. She takes two medications already that make her sleepy, so she falls asleep fine, but she wakes up in the wee hours and can't get back to sleep without the melatonin. She takes 5 mg.

• Like 1

Too much melatonin makes me wake in the night and/or have strange dreams, but maybe I'm weird.

Nah. Happens to me too. Odd enough dreams that after only taking a rather small dose a couple of times, I elected not to take it again.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping Maize. If you're going to try it, less is definitely more.

• Like 1

An alternative would to help your body make more melatonin by wearing amber glasses. They prevent the blue component of light from getting into your eyes, which makes your body think it is time to sleep and make melatonin. You can find some glasses at lowbluelights.com and probably other places too.

I've heard that it works great for some people.  My dh tried it three times, and each time got a terrible headache.

I'd been having that same problem of waking up during the night.  Two things helped:  having a light protein snack a couple hours before bedtime, and changing my pillow to a My Pillow.  I'm amazed by what a difference the pillow has made.  I woke up in the middle of the night, for years.  With my My Pillow, I rarely do.  (Maybe just a complete fluke, but it sure seems to make a difference.)

I take melotonin with no  problems.  I've heard some people get 'weird' dreams when they first take it due to sleep deprivation. It's like their brain hasn't had a good REM cycle and just goes nuts, lol.

My sister had pregnancy insomnia and it was terrible. She tried melatonin but didn't continue taking it. It wasn't that it didn't work, but that she could easily shake it off. Melatonin is easy to ignore. I have been taking it for years and if you don't meet it half way it's not going to help you.  I take it along with valerian and also the magnesium.

Melatonin is helpful for falling asleep, but I'm not sure how helpful it is for staying asleep. I take the valerian for that. OTOH, it might extend your sleep, so maybe it's worth a shot.

I wish I could tell you that my sister found a solution, but she didn't. It was terrible.  She says now she feels like she didn't give the melatonin a real chance because she was jumpy about taking anything

• Like 1

I take melotonin with no problems. I've heard some people get 'weird' dreams when they first take it due to sleep deprivation. It's like their brain hasn't had a good REM cycle and just goes nuts, lol.

My sister had pregnancy insomnia and it was terrible. She tried melatonin but didn't continue taking it. It wasn't that it didn't work, but that she could easily shake it off. Melatonin is easy to ignore. I have been taking it for years and if you don't meet it half way it's not going to help you. I take it along with valerian and also the magnesium.

Melatonin is helpful for falling asleep, but I'm not sure how helpful it is for staying asleep. I take the valerian for that. OTOH, it might extend your sleep, so maybe it's worth a shot.

I wish I could tell you that my sister found a solution, but she didn't. It was terrible. She says now she feels like she didn't give the melatonin a real chance because she was jumpy about taking anything

I'm thinking about trying the drops you can put under your tongue--keep them by my bed and take them as soon as I wake up during the night?

I'm thinking about trying the drops you can put under your tongue--keep them by my bed and take them as soon as I wake up during the night?

I've never tried those. The instructions for all melatonin I have taken is to take it an hour before you want to fall asleep.  I've had health providers tell me to take one a couple hours before bed and then take a second an hour before bed.  I personally take 5mg, but you can also get 3mg. I don't notice a big difference between the two. You could try the drops, they might help.

Is your room very black? I wear an eye mask to sleep, and it makes a huge difference. And if I am desperate for sleep I use ear plugs as well. Jeepers...I am a little hothouse flower aren't I? I have my supplements and my sleep mask and my ear plugs, lol..Don't I sound delightful?

You can also try swearing off all screens at least an hour before bedtime. It's artificial light that suppresses melatonin.

The BEST sleep I ever get is when we camp. Even with my staying up to read on my kindle (huddled in my sleeping bag on the ground, lol) I get way more sleep than at any time.   I know because I have a fitbit and it records my sleep.  When we camp I get 8-9 hours of solid sleep every single night. At home I consider myself lucky if I get 7. It's the lights.