Menu

very active little boys...burning off energy indoors?

caedmyn

My boys are driving me crazy with their wildness. They were doing reasonably well when they could spend a lot of time outside, but now it is snowy and cold (currently below zero) and often very windy. They go outside for a little while but hours a day is not feasible most of the time now. This is going to be a looong winter... Any ideas for helping them burn off energy indoors? We got a mini trampoline and they use it quite a bit but I can't tell that it reduces their energy levels at all. Actually it often contributes to the wildness because whoever's using it tends to see what silly tricks they can do to try to get everyone else to laugh. We do not have a basement or family room for them to run around in.

ETA: I think it is not only that they burn off energy outside, but also they are occupied with doing things outside.  They do play with Legos, Duplos, play food, board games, etc inside...but somehow those are just not as much fun as running around yelling and running into each other, bouncing off the trampoline into the walls, wrestling (which would be fine except it turns into unfriendly wrestling and trying to hurt each other within about 15 seconds every time) etc.

Edited by caedmyn

We've had- mini trampoline, rocker boards, easy steppers, scooters, plasma car, ball pits, indoor swings, rocking toys, bouncy balls/ Rody horse, big cushions to jump & roll on or knock over.

This year, we're in town for classes for teens daily & stop at the library (lots of room & toys in there), Childrens museum (they have an indoor climber & huge blocks for stacking & building), a drop in bouncy house place, etc. Have not tried McD play place yet, but will.

I've been eyeing a small geo dome climber for inside too.

Do you have them in any activities? (I don't for my littles but have friends who swear by hockey, YMCA basketball, swim, etc)

We also have a big enough space that we can skip indoors.  And we put up a chin up bar that the kids can reach (by climbing on furniture but that's been OK'd by us).  They love the chin up bar.

Another thing we have been doing together is the 30 day Spartan Trials fitness challenge.  I love that it requires minimal equipment (free weights only so far - easily substituted with canned food if need be) and that it focuses on different aspects of fitness (upper body, lower body, balance and coordination etc).  Darebee.com has lots of good fitness challenges and programs that are fun to do with kids.  It also gets me moving!

We once had a swing hanging from the rafters in the living room, and a slide, and an old couch that was safe for jumping on, and a chin bar, and an exercise bike, and a treadmill...we had a ping pong table in the garage for awhile...

the part where they go crazy jumping on the trampoline and just shriek louder, that's just what children do. They need to. :)

I agree with all of the above, but when my kids get like that, sometimes more activity isn't actually what they need.  They need their brains to be tired.  You might get some relief by giving them some stuff to take apart (old fan with cord cut off, and a screwdriver, etc.)  There are lots of stem activities you can bag up on pinterest, too.  When you feel them headed toward chaos, pull out a few, and send them to opposite corners of the room.  Some of that energy can be sent towards creative license.  

We also kept the garage clean for active play. I was able to purchase an inflatable for a good price which was awesome for chilly days. My kids loved making obstacle courses as well. We went to indoor play places often. An indoor pool can be your new favorite spot to hang out. 

Gonoodle.com

For small spaces, check pinterest for fort building ideas with pvc and sheets.

Lycra tunnels (diy instructions on pinterest, sometimes called sensory tunnels)

If they like wrestling, make body socks with lycra material and let them wrestle themselves.