Menu

Tips/advice: hiring a teenager for housework

sangtarah

We are considering hiring a young teenager to help twice a week with housework. Maybe 2-3 hours each day. What tips/advice do you have? 

I'm hoping to cover the following jobs: pick up toys on main/basement level, dust, vacuum, mop, clean cat box, wipe kitchen counters, windows, bathroom counters/mirrors/toilets, trash, wipe doorknobs, baseboards, light switches. 

Is that reasonable?  

TIA!

Agreed.

What may help significantly with preventing misunderstanding and frustration:

1. Make a detailed list under EACH item of what you would consider needed for it to be a good job in your view. Review that list for a few days to see if you need to add or tweak.

2. When you hire, then plan on a day or two of "training" where you walk them through what you want done and how. Be specific in what needs to be done your way and what things you are not as picky on (such as how you fold towels, etc).

3. Then have them work alongside you at least once while you give them positive, specific, constructive feedback. Smile, make eye contact and keep it from turning into nitpicky criticism.

4. When they start working on their own, have a checklist they can work off of. Put it in a plastic sleeve so it can be used multiple times.

5. Finally, if you find they are not doing things the way you would like, please don't let frustration build until you just up and fire them. Talk to them. Give them a chance to correct their errors. What may seem glaringly obvious to you may not be to them.

Clear, positive communication will be your ally in this endeavor.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 8

I think that sounds fine, but I would spend time really walking him/her through it all. My kids, when young teenagers, thought they knew what they were doing when cleaning

Dd is 21. I wouldn't hire her to do this now (love you, honey).

Shoot, it's not her fault. After all, I'm hitting 40 and I hired a professional to clean my kitchen and bathrooms because *I* have no idea what I'm doing :p

• Like 2

Another suggestion:  Do all of these jobs yourself first, and TIME yourself.  Now plan to probably double or possibly triple that time for the teenager to complete those tasks until they are used to your preferences and where everything is and until they perfect their techniques, especially if some of these tasks they have never done before even in their own home.  From that estimate determine how many hours you would need them to be at your home and whether you need to cut some of those tasks from their list if it will not be cost effective.

• Like 3

Are you hiring the teen to help her out? First job, you know she's saving for something? If so, very cool!

If not - I'd recommend finding a pro. Even in my very HCOL area, we've found a co that will do the entire house, top to bottom, changing linens as well, for $80. That's a flat fee and they haven't gone up in 10 years. And they are excellent. No learning curve.

Oh, and I'd also consider offering the job to my 5th-grader first. The amount of training and follow up will be the same, with the added benefit that you are teaching her some skills and giving her the chance to earn money. 

I don't think that a young teen is going to do all that much better at the listed jobs. Even if she is a lackadaisical worker now, that often changes in a work for pay situation - just let her know she needs to meet standards to keep the job. 

• Like 1

Are you hiring the teen to help her out? First job, you know she's saving for something? If so, very cool!

If not - I'd recommend finding a pro. Even in my very HCOL area, we've found a co that will do the entire house, top to bottom, changing linens as well, for $80. That's a flat fee and they haven't gone up in 10 years. And they are excellent. No learning curve.

That sounds awesome. I have 1.5 years before I can start working again, and dh and I have both decided that the very first thing we will be paying for is house and yard work, lol. 

• Like 1

It would be helping her out, in fact, but the original intent is to help me out. 6 months pregnant now and not getting smaller, LOL. I DO need more help around the house than my kids can give me. They work well under enough pressure, but are very slow workers. Hopefully the teen will be able to work while we are schooling, too.

Edited by sangtarah
  • Like 1