Menu

Extra curricular activities and Volunteer opportunities for child with these interests- need help please..

We are thinking ahead for next 4 years of  high school and totally coming up  short in the extra curricular / volunteer / community service department.

This is my math and science child (especially chemistry and astronomy). His goal is to study chemical/materials engineering.

He is finishing up the first of 4 years of the pre-engineering courses and seems to enjoy 2D/3D CAD design done with SolidWorks.

He does archery through local 4H. He does not however participate in regional/state competitions due to driving distances and dh working schedule). But he has done all the local county shoots and plans to continue through the rest of his school years.

He also participates in Lego robotics class through the local library (but we are not sure how long that will last because of the low turn out this  year so they may discontinue).

Given all these points of interest, what can we look for, where do we look? (this would be much simpler if we were in a large city but we are in a smallish city where even the nearest grocery store with descent food is 10 minute drive; the big city is about an hour one way plus traffic)

Thank you very much for any and all suggestion.

Edited by housemouse

Is there a kids science museum that he volunteer at?  Could he find a church that does Center Shot Archery, he could help teach a class or two? 

Nothing archery related similar to what you mentioned.

The nearest kids museum of any kind is little over an hour drive one way providing traffic is good.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I don't know in your area about whether you can be involved with public schools extracurriculars... Math tutoring? Also, around here some of the best h.s. math students seem to be the middle school math club leaders/coaches. Is there a local astronomy club - can your son start one if there's not? Also, with an interest in science/engineering, you don't have to have all your extracurriculars align - in fact I would think it's a plus to have something complementary. For example, maybe with interest in CAD, he might enjoy adding some kind of art? Or, science/engineering types can be stereotyped as having worse communication skills - what about getting involved in either the school or local small newspaper - like a science column? Or something like debate. In either case, he might be able to focus it on his interests and display either oral or written communication skills. What about boy scouts? I only ask because it seems like this is often available in rural areas and there are enough different topics for badges that he could pursue things related to his interest, learn new skills, and do something service related. Another crazy thought - could he use the CAD and interest in archery and design and create (3D printing, no idea if feasible) his own bow - not sure where that would go, just occurred to me. I assume there's no local college/university or local scientists/engineers that he could look for a p/t job/internship with or find a mentor?

We're in a pretty rural area. My ds, 16 this year does:

FTC Robotics ( you guys can organize your own group if the library one fizzles out, or drive to another further away, just part of rural living)

an underwater robotics group (run by a homeschool dad with work experience in that area)

takes CC computer science classes

does a STEM 4 H group (we recruit homeschool parents with expertise in different areas to run projects)

An engineering internship at a local company (again, set up by a homeschool dad)

Other techy things from previous years or that others here are doing:

Rube Goldberg machine groups

Tech challenge competition

Perpetual motion machine build at library ( grant funded)

Coaching FLL robotics team (volunteer)

Vo tech classes

Teaching robotics workshops, mostly through 4 H, at clubs & schools in our community

If you have a community college or local college, try there too. (Within an hour or 1.5 hours is what we call "local" around here)

Oh, & see if your area has an astronomy club.. Usually meant for adults , but I bet they'd welcome an interested teen!

Edited by Hilltopmom

I don't know in your area about whether you can be involved with public schools extracurriculars... Math tutoring? Also, around here some of the best h.s. math students seem to be the middle school math club leaders/coaches. Is there a local astronomy club - can your son start one if there's not? Also, with an interest in science/engineering, you don't have to have all your extracurriculars align - in fact I would think it's a plus to have something complementary. For example, maybe with interest in CAD, he might enjoy adding some kind of art? Or, science/engineering types can be stereotyped as having worse communication skills - what about getting involved in either the school or local small newspaper - like a science column? Or something like debate. In either case, he might be able to focus it on his interests and display either oral or written communication skills. What about boy scouts? I only ask because it seems like this is often available in rural areas and there are enough different topics for badges that he could pursue things related to his interest, learn new skills, and do something service related. Another crazy thought - could he use the CAD and interest in archery and design and create (3D printing, no idea if feasible) his own bow - not sure where that would go, just occurred to me. I assume there's no local college/university or local scientists/engineers that he could look for a p/t job/internship with or find a mentor?

Thank you for many of your suggestions.

Unfortunately our state does not allow homeschoolers to participate in anything public school. It would have be perfect otherwise since  we have a very good STEM academy literally down the street from us but because it is part of public school we are not allowed in.

I never thought of writing for the newspaper. Will have to run that by ds and see if that would be something he might do even though writing is not his favorite thing to do.

Ds has zero interest in boy scouts that is why we went with 4 H originally because the rules and requirements were not as tight as boy scouts in our area.

We're in a pretty rural area. My ds, 16 this year does:

FTC Robotics ( you guys can organize your own group if the library one fizzles out, or drive to another further away, just part of rural living)

an underwater robotics group (run by a homeschool dad with work experience in that area)

takes CC computer science classes

does a STEM 4 H group (we recruit homeschool parents with expertise in different areas to run projects)

An engineering internship at a local company (again, set up by a homeschool dad)

Other techy things from previous years or that others here are doing:

Rube Goldberg machine groups

Tech challenge competition

Perpetual motion machine build at library ( grant funded)

Coaching FLL robotics team (volunteer)

Vo tech classes

Teaching robotics workshops, mostly through 4 H, at clubs & schools in our community

If you have a community college or local college, try there too. (Within an hour or 1.5 hours is what we call "local" around here)

Oh, & see if your area has an astronomy club.. Usually meant for adults , but I bet they'd welcome an interested teen!

Thank you for many of your suggestions. I will have ds look into this and see what we have locally and if it is anything he would be interested in.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a parent who would lead anything that is techy/science related in your area. There are some who do computer coding/programing but claim to be to busy to take the time and tech. It seems everyone is waiting for someone else to step up and get something going. The two robotics groups I am aware of are  way to expensive and they mandate that you have to travel to all competitions they get to organize/participate in. Last year they went all the way to state level which would mean 2 days travel and overnight spent at the hotel. That is also a partial problem with 4H archery- the traveling distance to and from competitions, especially state level which or us is two days with a night spent at the hotel. Agree that traveling long distance is part of rural living but driving somewhere for an hour each way just to get to a 45 minute class is just not justifiable.

Our state does not allow homeschooler participation in any club or class or sport. And 4H is very limited mostly concentrating on forestry, poultry and cotton ball judging. We have archery and BB and photography but that is about it. The neighboring counties will not take you and those that are willing to take you into the program usually mandate additional participation (like you have to join at least one additional club in order to participate in the one you want). Certainly not easy to find what we are looking for. If my child wanted to be a plumber/welder/AC tech, we have 3 schools for that within 15 minute drive. Go figure.

Yeah, a few other families & us had to pretty much start all the stuff our kids were interested in. Including the 4 H group.

Most of them drive an hour for activities (but most run 2-4 hours) &'then just spend the rest of the day in town doing the rest of our "town" errands.

If you can't drive to get to stuff, you may try starting your own closer.

Those tech extra curriculars ( well, art & dance too) are prIcey with fundraising needed & out of town competitions, btdt.

You can explain in your counselor's letter the way your homeschool law works as far as participating in school activities and that the city is too far away to drive regularly.

Adcoms are looking for evidence that you took advantage of whatever opportunities you had. If that is not much in your town, then it is not much. Do not overestimate the resumes that most kids have: The kids with 16 clubs and 700 hours of community service on College Confidential are way outside the norm.

Be sure to do enough activities so that you have something besides school to write about, but don't worry if it's not a formal or famous extracurricular. Running, taking music lessons, volunteering at your local nonprofit, church, or school, etc. is fine. You can write a college essay on trying to learn to be a pastry chef and all you need is a French cookbook, a good oven. and lots of butter. :-)

• Like 1

When ds was in 4H he was teen leader for a Wind Power project (materials supplied by our county rep as part of developing STEM projects) as well as a Lego Creations project (he would give them parameters like a flying machine 6" x 10" dimensions, and they would build for an hour using the host family's lego sets). He helped plan arts & crafts one year at 4H summer camp and was planning to be camp director the year we moved. Could your ds be teen leader for archery? Does he do presentations on his projects (county/regional speech competitions even if you can't go to state level)? What about planning & leading (w/adult support) a general science project that is 3 1.5 hour meetings of various types of science experiments?

DS also volunteered one summer @ the pottery studio where he took lessons (very hands-on guy), did a lot of sweeping up, recycling clay, cleaning utensils so he could keep taking lessons over the summer, and he sometimes helped with the younger kids' classes. 

Other volunteer things we've done: dd worked 8 hours/week one summer for a local small farmer who was also her 4H leader; they spent some time cultivating but much of it planning out the next year's farm-to-table projects and testing them out. Tutoring math at an elementary after-school program would be another idea. If you have any kind of a local homeless outreach, women's shelter, food kitchen, even convalescent hospital, they might need a single project or someone to spend some time with residents.

All of my kids have volunteered with childcare @ church, but I don't know if you'd be interested in that. Youngest dd has even done some art work that the kids' ministry used for posters and coloring pages...that took a significant amount of time and consultation but was pretty cool.

I see basically three options:

1. You or he can create a local opportunity:  found an astronomy club, a math competition team, a homeschool STEM club

2. You have to drive. One hour is not that bad, if there is something he is really passionate about (says the mom whose DS travels to the city 2 hours away for his beloved sport).

3. He finds an activity that can be done remotely via internet: take classes, tutoring, virtual math circle

ETA: I approach extracurriculars not as something kids must have to fill a spot in the college application, but as the things they happen to do that enrich their lives. If there are no local STEM opportunities and logistics do not permit travel, he will still do something in his spare time - read, hike, ride bike, write fiction, learn to play the piano... It does not have to be an "organized" club.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

My youngest found many online mentors on a diy forum. They walked him through building lots of things. They had endless patience and sent him parts, even. I listed the projects in an independent projects section of his transcript.

You might have to look at adult groups.

What about ham radio?
One of mine found scientists to work with at the local bird sanctuary. The astronomy club met there.
You aren,t alloerd to partake of the stem academies student activities, but you might be able to ask a few of the teachers there for suggestions for projects or non-school groups. One might know an engineer or scientist who would like a lab assistant for after work projects..

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

Summer camps appreciate teen volunteers. Start looking now, as paid position interviews begin soon. Unpaid fills rapidly too. His archery skills will be helpful...at 14 he can be hired as assistant staff. That gives him leadership, and contacts to do other events as a volunteer.

Did you speak to the local principal directly, they may have no problem having your son participate in after school clubs/activities.

Ds did Ispace camp volunteering here. Its basically a FLL type nonprofit that teaches camps and preps teams for FLL competitions. He's gotten over 100 hours with them and she wrote an amazing LOR for him.

Agree with fining out other interest specific camps and letting him volunteer as an assistant with them.

Many public libraries have Makerspaces, he could volunteer in those and if its far then maybe a 2-3 hour shift would work so you can also get errands done. 

Ask the local colleges about unpaid internships/research. A friend has her mathy/engin kids do research at the local college under the professors.

Offer homeschooling classes or clubs to the local community.  He could form a science club or an astronomy club or a chemistry for younger kids.  My kids run Math Olympiad and MathCounts teams for local homeschooled kids, and they really enjoy it.  In the past, they've organized science related summer camps and tutored computer science.  

If your local homeschooling community isn't interested, figure out what their needs and interests are, and try to meet them.   IME, lots of parents welcome the opportunity to drop off their kids for an hour or so.  It doesn't need to be weekly; sometimes every other week or monthly works better for busy families.  

Also consider organizing a team for the MathCounts Video Challenge, Breakthrough Junior Challenge, or Technovation Challenge

• Like 1

Tutoring younger kids (math, science, etc)?

Volunteering to help run FLL tournaments or be a mentor to a FLL team?

Creating and running a basic archery camp (half day for a week) for younger kids?

Helping as a mentor for MathCounts/MOEMS/JETS/Middle School SciOly team?