Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW 49: Delectable December

Robin M

Oh, I forgot to answer the cookbook question. Cookbooks used to be my downfall any time I walked into a bookstore. Now I just search online. I've given away nearly all of my cookbooks. I kept a few  I like Simply Recipes, Food Network, Allrecipes, Mel's Kitchen and  Kitchn. Mostly though, I just search. I'm a good enough cook to look at a recipe and know if it will work and if my family will like it, so I've rarely gone wrong with recipes I find online.

The funny thing about my (former) cookbook addiction is that I mostly cook without recipes. On the surface it would seem like I wouldn't want cookbooks, but I always liked getting new ideas, and looking at photos of the dish if the book had photos. 

• Like 16

I finished my re-read of Emma. I'm liking this book more each time I read it. Or, appreciating it at least. I just realized that a dear friend - the one that we spend Thanksgiving with - reminds me so much of Emma. Both the bad and the good.  It's really great characterization, and it's amazing that one continues to like Emma and root for her, despite her less amiable qualities, but there it is. 

• Like 16

I need suggestions for a graphic novel for my middle son. He is 26. Everyone gets a book for Christmas and I don,t think he has time to read a full book. My boys tend to like nautical stories the best. This particular son reads a lot of comics so I think perhaps a graphic novel might be a hit.

Nan

• Like 11

I'm almost at a blackout at our Bingo card, not that difficult with 126 books read this year :D.

The only thing I still need is a play. I thought for sure I had read a play this year (I don't really like reading plays), but every title I remembered was from 2015....

The plan is to finish up Master & Commander for Nautical and then read Medea.

• Like 16

I need suggestions for a graphic novel for my middle son. He is 26. Everyone gets a book for Christmas and I don,t think he has time to read a full book. My boys tend to like nautical stories the best. This particular son reads a lot of comics so I think perhaps a graphic novel might be a hit.

It's not a graphic novel, but perhaps this book might be of interest; it's by a webcomic artist.  It's a book he can pick up and put down after reading a few pages.

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

"Millions of people visit xkcd.com each week to read Randall Munroe’s iconic webcomic. His stick-figure drawings about science, technology, language, and love have a large and passionate following.

Fans of xkcd ask Munroe a lot of strange questions. What if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90 percent the speed of light? How fast can you hit a speed bump while driving and live? If there was a robot apocalypse, how long would humanity last?

In pursuit of answers, Munroe runs computer simulations, pores over stacks of declassified military research memos, solves differential equations, and consults with nuclear reactor operators. His responses are masterpieces of clarity and hilarity, complemented by signature xkcd comics. They often predict the complete annihilation of humankind, or at least a really big explosion."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 13

I managed to read Margaret Drabble's The Dark Flood Rises yesterday, through severe sinus infection pain + wisdom tooth pain. That's dedication!

I really hope you feel better. 

I finished The Lost Art of Dress last night. Parts of it made me bristle such as women who had degrees in organic chemistry and the only job they could get was in a Home Economics department. However, I also realize that the work women did/do in home economics was/is quite complicated and requires creative and advanced thinking. I guess the part I have a problem with is that women didn't have a choice about whether they wanted to work in that department or elsewhere. It's also upsetting that home economics or home sciences still is not given the proper respect and credit it deserves. It's also an interesting twist for my feminist mind to know that back in the day (pre 1960s) being a stay at home wife/mom was considered a profession and girls/women were actually received job training in schools. For example high school girls were taught finance, sewing, nutrition, etc. This book stated that once upon a time it was part of all high school curricula for girls to put a monetary value to all the chores a stay at home mom does and figure out what her "salary" would pay if she were paid. A stay at home mom was viewed as contributing to society (albeit that women had virtually no rights). With the wave of the 70s women gained much but we lost the respect we once had for staying home. Once it became a choice to stay home or work outside the home it was viewed a waste of a woman's mind and talent to stay home. I was born in the height of the change, and I was taught nothing of taking care of a home or family. I was taught that if I didn't have a career I was wasting my life. I was taught that cooking, sewing, and caring for kids was beneath me and that I could do more "valuable" things. Because of this I knew nothing when I moved out on my own. I couldn't cook. I still can't sew or knit. I believed that a career was the only worthwhile goal. This caused a lot of struggle for me. 

Even now I don't think women have reached a balance of respect and value for their choices. We seem to get slammed no matter if we stay home or if we get a job outside of home. We need choices and we need respect and value to go along with those choices. 

Girls are no longer taught things like home finance, cooking, sewing, etc. Neither are boys. I think both sexes should learn these things.  

Reading the book amazed me at what women in the past accomplished. They knew the true meaning of recycling and reusing. Our world is laughably and sadly based on disposal. It is humbling to read what women did. They may not have been allowed to work in other departments in universities after completing their degrees, but they were so good in their knowledge that the military and federal government turned to them to solve wartime problems such as as to prevent soldiers getting food poisoning and how to construct durable and easy to clean uniforms. Apparently, the oh so wise and superior men couldn't find answers. ;)

And yes, I think hats and gloves should come back into fashion for daily wear as it would help prevent skin cancer. That fashion is more relevant now then it was then what with our big atmospheric hole we have.  

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 19

I finished Aristotle's Poetics for Screenwriters. It was a quick, easy read and definitely made the Poetics more tangible. Of interest to any novice writer, whether of screenplays or anything else, who is trying to figure out what makes a story work. I'm going to hand it off to Shannon to read next.

• Like 13

I received and finished Cindy Rollins's brand new book(let) The Handbook of Morning Time. It was lovely with some excellent reminders and Cindy always says something I need to hear -even on repeat -, but there wasn't really anything new that I hadn't read or heard from her before. It'll be helpful to have it in one place and reading it helped me refocus on what we're doing with Morning Time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 14

It's not a graphic novel, but perhaps this book might be of interest; it's by a webcomic artist.  It's a book he can pick up and put down after reading a few pages.

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

"Millions of people visit xkcd.com each week to read Randall Munroe’s iconic webcomic. His stick-figure drawings about science, technology, language, and love have a large and passionate following.

Fans of xkcd ask Munroe a lot of strange questions. What if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90 percent the speed of light? How fast can you hit a speed bump while driving and live? If there was a robot apocalypse, how long would humanity last?

In pursuit of answers, Munroe runs computer simulations, pores over stacks of declassified military research memos, solves differential equations, and consults with nuclear reactor operators. His responses are masterpieces of clarity and hilarity, complemented by signature xkcd comics. They often predict the complete annihilation of humankind, or at least a really big explosion."

Regards,

Kareni

It's a good suggestion.  I gave the book to youngest a few years ago, but actually, I think the middle one would like it even better.  Maybe I can get youngest to give it to middle one lol.

• Like 9

the Gospel of Nicodemus (incorporating the Acts of Pilate) are orthodox, though apocryphal; the former is an important source for a great deal of Christian legend and iconography, while the latter resulted in a rehabilitation of Pontius Pilate in Eastern churches, to the extent that the Copts included him in their calendar of saints. 

I found this so fascinating that I shared with my dh.  

Read last week:

I'm reading lighter, faster reads this month to see if I can catch up in our family competition of bird species seen in one year versus books I've read. I'm trailing behind by 24 books. I don't think I'll be able to do this competition next year as my spouse is traveling to the Dominican Republic to help build a Habitat house and will surely see more species than this year!

I, too, am reading lighter and faster reads this month!!  I had a personal goal of reading A-Z, and then the Bingo here on the BaW.  I fear I will fall 1 short on the Bingo, though.  I am fairly certain I will not finish The Odyssey by Dec 31st and may give up on it entirely.

Speaking of tree decorating...  For those of you interested, or who have kids who would be interested, here is a link to a video of Disneyland being transformed for the holidays. My ds is part of the team that transforms the park, and there are glimpses of him on the cherry-picker lifts. It was 6 weeks of graveyard shifts and overtime to put the sparklies on the castle, hang garland and lights and build that tree!  We won't be seeing him the next several weeks because that same team has to maintain all those lights, trouble shoot electrical problems, and work regular tech shifts in the parks. 

I enjoyed watching this!  Thanks for sharing!

I read Gone with the Wind - 5 Stars - If I could, I would give this book an endless number of stars. This is my favorite book of 2016 and it will rank way up there as among my all-time favorites. I’m sure that I’m in the minority in that I had never read or seen the movie until now. I wasn’t particularly interested, incorrectly thinking that it would be a sappy, romantic story about a spoilt Southern belle. I was quickly proven wrong. Anyway, had it not been for my daughter, I don’t think that I would have ever read it. This is among her favorite books also. As I was reading it, she was continuously asking me where I was in the book and whether or not I liked it. I will someday miss those funny memories. She said that she loved re-reading the book vicariously through me. We had a blast!

Since I did not grow up in the U.S. and regrettably never took a U.S. history course while in college (it wasn’t required for my degree), my knowledge of the Civil War and especially its aftermath is quite limited and one-sided. Margaret Mitchell did a wonderful job educating me, especially with regards to the frustrations of Reconstruction.

My three favorite characters are Rhett, Scarlett, and Melanie, although all of the characters were truly memorable, thanks to Margaret Mitchell’s writing. Rhett was entertaining and put on no airs or sense of pretension. Scarlett had plenty of flaws, of course, but she also had many qualities that I admired – being able to cope during difficulties, and so on. Melanie annoyed me at first, but then I admired her so much.

This book was powerful and incredible. I told my daughter that I will be forever grateful to her for pushing me to read it! Once I finished the book, we sat down and watched the movie. This is seldom a good idea to do right after finishing a book. Let some time pass, I say! The movie was good and they did what they could, given that time period, but the book is far, far superior. I’m quite sure that any book I pick up will pale in comparison for quite a while.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it's no worse than it is.â€

“Hardships make or break people.â€

“Like most girls, her imagination carried her just as far as the altar and no further.â€

“Don’t holler – smile and bide your time.â€

9781451635621.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

Gone with the Wind has been one of my favorite movies for as long as I can remember.  I read the book in 8th grade, and Skyeler read it in the past couple years.  Funny enough, I have never done a reread of it!  Reading your comments makes me want to revisit it as an adult.  I love Scarlett O'Hara!  What strength and determination she possesses! As a young teen, I never cared for Melanie, but I bet as an adult I would appreciate more of her qualities.

• Like 14

Nan

Sailor Twain, or the Mermaid in the Hudson? I have never read this, just did a search for nautical graphic novels. You can read the first few chapters online though. (And I put it on hold at the library.)

• Like 12

I've finished a couple of books recently ~

Gambled Away: A Historical Romance Anthology by Joanna Bourne, Rose Lerner, Molly O'Keefe, Isabel Cooper, and Jeannie Lin

These stories, which range in time from Tang Dynasty China to the late 1930s in the US, all contain an element of gambling.  I bought the anthology because it contains a story by Joanna Bourne (who is a favorite author of mine) but ultimately enjoyed all the stories.

"Get revenge. Pay a debt. Save a soul. Lose your heart.

Spanning centuries and continents, five brand-new novellas from beloved historical romance authors tell the stories of men and women who find themselves wagered in a game of chance and are forced to play for the highest stakes of all: love.

“Gideon and the Den of Thieves†by Joanna Bourne

London, 1793 – Soldier of fortune Gideon Gage has come home from halfway around the world, fully prepared to face down a ruthless gang to save his sister. But there’s one member of the gang he could never have been prepared for: fascinating Aimée, driven from her own home by the French Revolution and desperately in need of his help.

“Raising The Stakes†by Isabel Cooper

California, 1938 — When the flute she won in last night’s poker game unexpectedly summons an elven warrior bound to her service, two-bit con artist Sam takes quick advantage. With Talathan’s fairy powers at her command, her shakedown of a crooked preacher is a sure thing…but would she rather take a gamble on love?

“All or Nothing†by Rose Lerner

England, 1819 – Architect Simon Radcliffe-Gould needs someone to pose as his mistress so he can actually get some work done at a scandalous house party. Irrepressible gambling den hostess Maggie da Silva would rather be his mistress, but she’ll take what she can get…

“The Liar’s Dice†by Jeannie Lin

Tang Dynasty China, 849 A.D. — Lady Bai’s first taste of freedom brings her face to face with murder. A dangerous and enigmatic stranger becomes her closest ally as she investigates the crime, but can she trust her heart or her instincts when everyone is playing a game of liar’s dice?

“Redeemed†by Molly O’Keefe

Denver, 1868 — After agonizing years in the Civil War’s surgical tents, Union doctor James Madison has nothing left to lose. But when beautiful, tortured Helen Winters is the prize in a high-stakes game of poker, he goes all in to save her—and maybe his own soul."

I also re-read Butterfly Tattoo by Deidre Knight which I enjoyed revisiting.

"Michael Warner has been drifting in a numb haze since the death of his lover, who was killed by a drunk driver. As the anniversary of the wreck approaches, Michael’s grief grows more suffocating. Yet he must find a way through the maze of pain and secrets to live for their troubled young daughter. Out of the darkness comes a voice, a lifeline he never expected to find—Rebecca O’Neill, a development executive in the studio where he works as an electrician. Rebecca, a former celebrity left scarred from a crazed fan’s attack, has retreated from the limelight, certain no man can ever get past her disfigurement. The instant sparks between her and Michael come as a complete surprise—and so does her almost mystical bond with his daughter. For the first time, all three feel compelled to examine their scars in the light of love. But trust is hard to come by, especially when you’re not sure what to believe when you look in the mirror. The scars? Or the truth?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I requested three books for Christmas: The Lost Art of Dress (thanks Mom-ninja--as a sewist/knitter, I think I'll love this!), Mamushka (as if I really need another cookbook) and the 2017 Flow Book for Paper Lovers.  Idol hands are the workshop of the devil, doncha know?

Nan, my husband is the graphic novel reader in this house so I turned to him.  His first suggestion was the one I should have made without consultation. My favorite graphic novel/food series is Oishinbo.  There is a story line to this manga!  Really.

His favorite graphic novels of the moment are Delilah Dirk books--Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant is the first.  The Turkish Lieutenant is useless but he makes great tea.  Delilah saves the day.

There is a graphic novel version of Wrinkle in Time.  Is that something your son would like?

Scott McCloud's Zot is an older book but one my husband likes a lot.

I finished listening to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novel, Before Midnight, today.  Earlier it was noted that these books show their age with racism, sexism.  Before Midnight has little that is objectionable (although Archie Goodwin is always a snarky twerp.)

• Like 13

I remembered another cookbook that I had to dig out from one of the kid's rooms. French Cooking in Ten Minutes by Edouard de Pomaine -- I love how it beings and I love how he wrote one of his tips in his chapter on advice, how he describes enjoying a coffee & cigarette.

a friend showed me how to make that 5 min bread. unbelievably good. unbelievably easy. definitely one of my all time favourite recipes. i think i will write it out to put in all my nieces'and nephews'stockings. when i can write again.

nan

That sounds like a lovely stocking stuffer. I hope you are recovered very soon!

That reminds me of a cookbook I forgot I have. It was my great-aunt's, who I was close to. I was flipping through one of her cookbooks and saw some of the few,  little notes she had made, which pan worked best or substitutions she had tried. For one, all she had written "NO!" in pen, and in large letters next to a sole and pepper recipe. I have taken her advice and never tried it, not that I am much for making seafood at home anyway.

• Like 10

I just realized as I am posting all about food, one of the last books I read was The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung.

Not related to food -- I picked up Escape From Baxters' Barn by Rebecca Bond to see if one of our kids would like it and ended up reading it. Turned out to be a lovely book for the kid who wants us to have a farm and didn't mind a brief lesson in plural possessive apostrophe usage as I handed the book over. (This would be humorous to my former English teachers, who knew I was hopeless at grammar.)

I was also having a go at reading about farm life as I finished up three books by James Herriot. I had to skim through some of the descriptions in the treatment room but it was mostly enjoyable.

This year, I started listening to audiobooks while doing chores after picking up a cheap bluetooth earpiece. Never thought I'd do audiobooks since my mind wanders so much but it has worked out well. I started to re-read Slaughterhouse-Five and finished with audio. Also listened to performances of A Doll's House, Macbeth, Cabin Pressure, and the Jane Austen collection. With the kids, Bunnicula, Nim's Island, Narnia, Hobbit, and Shakespeare adaptations by Bruce Coville, David Timson, and Patrick Ryan. I also got through some Great Courses audio and a beginner foreign language series. Right now, I've been going back and forth between reading & listening to Frankenstein since I somehow got the audio version with the the e-book version for just a couple dollars together. I'm (happily) surprised by how Dan Stevens reads it and I will probably finish reading it tonight but will also finish the audiobook. 

• Like 13

That sounds great! Do you find the "five minutes a day" claim to be accurate?

Well... not exactly, especially for a family of 11. We eat the entire batch at one meal sometimes. But for a smaller family, it's probably somewhat closer to the truth. All the recipes are no-knead, so the theory is, you make a big batch of dough, let it rise, then put it in the refrigerator and tear off chunks as you need them over the course of the week. You still have to let the dough rest and rise for a certain amount of time once you pull it out of the refrigerator before you bake it. The basic bread recipe probably comes close to 5 minutes of prep time, but there are also more complicated recipes for holidays, etc. Everything I've made from the book has turned out well.

-Angela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 8

My GWtW connection -

I once had a dog I named Tara because I found her as a stray puppy hanging around Jonesboro Middle School where I taught for 2 years. Jonesboro is in Clayton County where the book is set and I had just recently read the book, so Tara seemed the perfect name for my new canine companion.

While living in the Atlanta area I tended bar for a while after I quit teaching (long story but I eventually went back to teaching after I moved home to Florida). My female boss and the bar's half owner with her husband is distantly related to the man who was driving the car that hit and killed Margaret Mitchell.

Ok, I have a GwtW connection, too, but it's not as interesting... The piano teacher in the small TN town where I grew up lived in a large turn of the century house filled with antique furniture... which had apparently been used in the GwtW movie. I always thought that was interesting, although MY piano teacher was the one who came to the Catholic school. So I never actually saw got to see the furniture, except when my mom watched the movie when it came on TV every year.

I still haven't read the book either. [emoji5]

-Angela

• Like 11

Well... not exactly, especially for a family of 11. We eat the entire batch at one meal sometimes. But for a smaller family, it's probably somewhat closer to the truth. All the recipes are no-knead, so the theory is, you make a big batch of dough, let it rise, then put it in the refrigerator and tear off chunks as you need them over the course of the week. You still have to let the dough rest and rise for a certain amount of time once you pull it out of the refrigerator before you bake it. The basic bread recipe probably comes close to 5 minutes of prep time, but there are also more complicated recipes for holidays, etc. Everything I've made from the book has turned out well.

-Angela

I see. Thank you for explaining that.

• Like 8

Columbia Room Has a Cocktail Literally Made With Old Books

So, would you drink it?

Or, would you eat the candied page fragments the article mentions?

My mom said one of my favorite foods as a baby/toddler was newspaper, so I guess I might be up for a try. :lol:

My favorite part of the article? Lol.

As for whether you should be concerned about consuming musty old book pages? Fetherston says not to worry: â€œEven if there’s anything weird in it, it’s in minuscule quantities.â€

ETA: Hey, this even fits our weekly theme of "Delectable December"!

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 9

Rose!

26955wall.gif

Thank you! I noticed that so many WTMers have birthdays today, mine didn't show up on the main page. So thank you for noticing! I have had a lovely birthday, went out to breakfast with my girls and out to dinner with the whole family, and in between I finished two books and watched a movie.  Teacher of the year, that's me!  :thumbup1:  :thumbup1:

got to go eat ice cream with a candle in it now. It's the gluten-free birthday of champions!

• Like 17

I'm mostly overwhelmed these days--my days are always beyond full, then add Christmas preparations on top and I'm just sinking. Stuff gets added to my list of things to do faster than I can get anything done. So, not a lot of reading getting done. And while Secret Santa sounds lovely, I think February would be a better month for it! Can't handle one more thing in December.

I still have a chance at completing a Bingo blackout but it will come down to the wire. I'm currently reading The Mysteries of Udolpho for my 18th century read, and I'm actually enjoying it but it's a long one. For a 500+ book, I would have to finish Grapes of Wrath which I don't think dd and I will finish this month as a read-aloud, but maybe I can read ahead over break. For King Arthur, I could finish one dd and I read part of last year. I think I have all of the other categories.

I love reading cookbooks. I check them out of the library from time to time and I also buy them from the library book sale and donate them back when I'm done with them. I do more baking than cooking. Some favorites:

Peter Reinhart's Artisan Bread Everyday. I think it would be fun to try every recipe in the book!

Better Homes and Garden basic cookbook from when we got married

The Complete Cooking Light cookbook--our pancake recipes and chocolate cream pie come from here.

A new favorite my sister recommended and I got from the library: The Grand Central Baking Book (Grand Central Bakeries are in Seattle and Portland).

Bedtime. Good night all.

• Like 13

I have had a lovely birthday...

Sending a few more happy birthday vibes your way plus many good wishes for the year to come.  Here's a gluten-free cupcake for you:

___________________¶¶¶¶¶¶

_________________¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶

________________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶___¶

_______________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

___________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

________¶¶¶¶¶___¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶____¶¶¶¶¶

_____¶¶¶¶_________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶__________¶¶¶

____¶¶¶______¶____________________¶__¶¶¶

___¶¶________¶¶__¶¶_____¶¶__¶¶¶________¶¶

__¶¶_______________¶¶__¶¶_____¶¶¶_______¶ ¶

_¶¶______________________________________ ¶

¶¶_______________________________________ _¶

¶¶_______________________________________ _¶

_¶¶¶____________________________________¶ ¶

___¶¶¶¶¶____________________________¶¶¶¶¶

____¶¶_¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶_¶

_____¶____¶_____¶____¶¶____¶_____¶¶___¶¶

_____¶____¶¶____¶____¶¶____¶_____¶____¶

_____¶¶____¶____¶¶___¶¶___¶¶____¶¶___¶¶

______¶____¶¶___¶¶___¶¶___¶¶____¶____¶

______¶¶____¶___¶¶___¶¶___¶¶___¶¶___¶¶

_______¶____¶¶___¶___¶¶___¶____¶¶___¶

_______¶¶___¶¶___¶___¶¶___¶____¶___¶¶

________¶____¶¶__¶¶__¶¶__¶¶___¶¶___¶

________¶¶____¶___¶__¶¶__¶___¶¶__¶¶

_________¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 14

I finished The Lost Art of Dress last night. Parts of it made me bristle such as women who had degrees in organic chemistry and the only job they could get was in a Home Economics department. However, I also realize that the work women did/do in home economics was/is quite complicated and requires creative and advanced thinking. I guess the part I have a problem with is that women didn't have a choice about whether they wanted to work in that department or elsewhere. It's also upsetting that home economics or home sciences still is not given the proper respect and credit it deserves. It's also an interesting twist for my feminist mind to know that back in the day (pre 1960s) being a stay at home wife/mom was considered a profession and girls/women were actually received job training in schools. For example high school girls were taught finance, sewing, nutrition, etc. This book stated that once upon a time it was part of all high school curricula for girls to put a monetary value to all the chores a stay at home mom does and figure out what her "salary" would pay if she were paid. A stay at home mom was viewed as contributing to society (albeit that women had virtually no rights). With the wave of the 70s women gained much but we lost the respect we once had for staying home. Once it became a choice to stay home or work outside the home it was viewed a waste of a woman's mind and talent to stay home. I was born in the height of the change, and I was taught nothing of taking care of a home or family. I was taught that if I didn't have a career I was wasting my life. I was taught that cooking, sewing, and caring for kids was beneath me and that I could do more "valuable" things. Because of this I knew nothing when I moved out on my own. I couldn't cook. I still can't sew or knit. I believed that a career was the only worthwhile goal. This caused a lot of struggle for me. 

Even now I don't think women have reached a balance of respect and value for their choices. We seem to get slammed no matter if we stay home or if we get a job outside of home. We need choices and we need respect and value to go along with those choices. 

Girls are no longer taught things like home finance, cooking, sewing, etc. Neither are boys. I think both sexes should learn these things.  

Reading the book amazed me at what women in the past accomplished. They knew the true meaning of recycling and reusing. Our world is laughably and sadly based on disposal. It is humbling to read what women did. They may not have been allowed to work in other departments in universities after completing their degrees, but they were so good in their knowledge that the military and federal government turned to them to solve wartime problems such as as to prevent soldiers getting food poisoning and how to construct durable and easy to clean uniforms. Apparently, the oh so wise and superior men couldn't find answers. ;)

And yes, I think hats and gloves should come back into fashion for daily wear as it would help prevent skin cancer. That fashion is more relevant now then it was then what with our big atmospheric hole we have.  

Thanks for the review of this book. I think you've gotten a number of us excited about it!

the 2017 Flow Book for Paper Lovers. 

Is there a good site, that you know of, to order this from if it's going to a US address? At flowmagazine.com, the cost of shipping to the US is higher than the cost of the product. 

• Like 8

Happy belated birthday, Rose. 

To tie into your gluten free birthday and the weekly theme of cookbooks I will share my top two favorites. 

Saving Dinner I have posted this book many times before on this board because it is that good. There are multiple versions. I also own the low carb version. The original is my favorite because the low carb version has a lot of shellfish recipes and dh can't eat shellfish. The original version I linked is not technically gf but super easy to make all the recipes gf. I have zero problems with any of the recipes. Premade shopping lists?! Yes!

And the MOST important book for anyone who is celiac or otherwise gf..... Gluten Free Christmas Cookies! This was my very first dessert cookbook after I was diagnosed. I am in love with this book. There are recipes for everyday type desserts as well. Even people who are not gf love the goodies we bake from this book. This is not a low fat book. This is not a paleo book. This is not a healthy dessert recipe book. I think it's funny when people assume gluten free = healthy food. This book, my friends, will let you indulge in all the yummy sinful deliciousness of naughty desserts. Yes, you need it in your life. (Then sign up with Fitness Blender to work off those desserts. :lol:  ) 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 10

On that site are linked other articles. One was about Tennessee parents requesting the banning of a history book because it covers Islam along with other religions in history. It happens in this country too albeit on a much smaller scale. 

To think that Egypt was the heart of libraries at one time is heartbreaking.  

• Like 7

Is there a good site, that you know of, to order this from if it's going to a US address? At flowmagazine.com, the cost of shipping to the US is higher than the cost of the product.

Yes, I noted that as well.

Since I bought the previous Flow Book for Paper Lovers at Barnes and Noble in Phoenix, I first checked at my local B&N. They had Flow magazine but not the Paper Lovers book. Then I checked the B&N website and found I could pre-order the book--no charge for postage.

The book was available in Europe last month but lands on this side of the pond next week. A short wait vs a ridiculous postage charge.

Happy Belated Birthday, Rose!

And Happy Saint Nicholas Day all! Anyone put out their shoes?

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 9

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review of the book! I agree about hats and gloves. On a related note...lately I'm noticing more people swimming with rash guards. Also making an appearance are swim leggings (sometimes with attached short skirts).  It is a little odd to be one of the few wearing them at this point, but I'm so covered with hat and sunglasses etc, no one knows who I am, so it's OK.   :ph34r:  ;)

(An example for those who haven't seen them.)

http://hydrochic.com/amphi-spirit-athletic-skirted-capris.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiA4JnCBRDQ5be3nKCPhpwBEiQAjwN1bqe0HD0i_FSWu6a0YTdEQIiPu4sd9SnicCs0c-UAi84aAjl08P8HAQ

SS201_4.jpg

Lands'End carries them as well.spacer.gif

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-crop-leggings/id_269396

I would love to know if you changed how you dress because of the book or made any other changes. I've added the book to my list. Thanks again.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 7

\

Saving Dinner I have posted this book many times before on this board because it is that good. There are multiple versions. I also own the low carb version. The original is my favorite because the low carb version has a lot of shellfish recipes and dh can't eat shellfish. The original version I linked is not technically gf but super easy to make all the recipes gf. I have zero problems with any of the recipes. Premade shopping lists?! Yes!

I used to subscribe to her menus (both freezer cooking and regular menus) and I have the original cookbook. Some of the recipes have become family favorites.

What finally stopped me from buying cookbooks is the realization that I use only a few recipes from each book. I know how to cook and bake and do it well (learned in the kitchen next to my mom starting when I was nine) so I don't need any of the tips or information in cookbooks. I eventually copied the recipes I use and gave away the books. I still have a few but mostly because I haven't copied the recipes yet.

I also used to be susceptible to cookbooks with a story or from certain places. Two I still have even though I don't use  them are one from the St. Augustine Bed & Breakfast we stayed in on our honeymoon. It was actually from several B&Bs in the city. They got together and each contributed a recipe. I used one recipe exactly one time. The other is the Columbia Restaurant Spanish Cookbook because we enjoy eating at the restaurant, though we've never been to the original. I made their famous 1905 Salad once. Just once. Never made anything else from the book.

The Inquisitive Cook though not a cookbook, helped my niece when she wanted to learn about the hows and whys of cooking in general. It gets into the science of food and what cooking does to it, similar to the way they do occasionally on Cook's Country. 

• Like 8

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review of the book! I agree about hats and gloves. On a related note...lately I'm noticing more people swimming with rash guards. Also making an appearance are swim leggings (sometimes with attached short skirts).  It is a little odd to be one of the few wearing them at this point, but I'm so covered with hat and sunglasses etc, no one knows who I am, so it's OK.   :ph34r:  ;)

I would love to know if you changed how you dress because of the book or made any other changes. I've added the book to my list. Thanks again.

I wear rash guards as well. I don't have swim leggings though. I slather my legs with sunscreen and put a towel over them when sitting.

I already follow most of the Dress Doctors rules. That said I do so in a modern way. They were not too keen on pants for one thing. I wear pants. However, my own rule is that I do not wear yoga pants or other such workout clothing unless I'm working out. I wear slacks and nice jeans (by nice I mean no distressed/torn look jeans). I don't wear flip flops even though I live in a hot climate unless I'm going to the pool or beach.  Anything above two inches on my knees is a no go because at my age I don't feel it's appropriate, and two inches is pushing it. I prefer lower. I make my self presentable and for me that means nice clothing, doing my hair, and my makeup. I don't let my kids wear gym shorts or track pants to places like doctor appts and the like. (I do have kids with some sensory issues so I allow t-shirts....oh, the horror of a collar to a boy!) 

I did learn some things about colors and fit. I will take those into consideration from now on. One thing I will admit that I struggle with the "Dress for those you love" rule. I get it. It makes sense to me. Yet, when at home I like to put on some sweats before cuddling up on my couch. I guess the Dress Doctors would say make them pretty sweats, in a flattering fit and color, and luxurious fabric. 

I would love to take the author's class "A Nation of Slobs" that she teaches at Notre Dame. I know it's been hashed out on this forum before, but I do cringe when I see people not dressing for the occasion. A stay at home mom wearing yoga pants while caring for kids and running errands is one thing, but to see people wear yoga pants or sweats to a church service or an office party makes me shake my head. Yesterday my eldest had a piano exam in front of judges. He always wears dress slacks, long sleeve dress shirt w/ tie, and dress shoes. I even make him comb his hair. I only saw one other child there who was dressed nicely (and what I consider appropriately). All the other kids (from about 6th grade through high school) were wearing gym shorts, sweats, leggings with t-shirts, and sneakers. I don't get it I guess. You know that even on a subconscious level the judges are going to be influenced by one's personal appearance. Although my ds usually plays piano barefoot so he despises dress shoes. I told him he should practice in his dress shoes then. ;) Cause you can't play barefoot unless you are Tim Minchin, and I'm sure he didn't play barefoot at his piano exams. 

I do believe in the Dress Doctors' mantra of how you dress influences how you feel about yourself, how you carry yourself, how you act, and affects your productivity. I know when I put on my sweats my mind and body go into shut down mode. 

• Like 10

I decided to give up on reading Alain Mabanckou's Broken Glass, even though I was more than halfway through. Yes, it's clever in its own way; yes, the writing style is appealing & breathless, but the overall arc of the story is sad/depressing & doesn't really feel fresh. Mabanckou's book I read last year, Memoirs of a Porcupine, though terribly, terribly dark, was something different & something very good. I feel less impressed with Broken Glass... more of a "meh" reaction. When I realized it was starting to feel like a chore to pick up the book to read the next chapter, I figured it was time to stop.

I flipped through a couple other library books I had sitting here & some don't seem very appealing, at least at this point.

And then I picked up The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North & got sucked in from page 1.

firstfifteenlives-uk.jpg?resize=250%2C38

*Starred Review from Booklist* Harry August isn’t human. Well, that’s not quite accurate. He is human but a different sort of human from the rest of us: he was born (in the ladies’ washroom of a train station in England in 1919), he lives a certain number of years, and he dies—and then he’s born again, right back where he started, and a handful of years later his memories of his first life return. Harry is, like a few others, a kalachakra, an immortal who is constantly reborn, each time with all the memories of his previous lives. This wonderful novel, narrated by Harry, ranges back and forth in time as he recounts episodes from his various lives, but it’s all held together by a compelling mystery involving nothing less than the end of the world itself (a thousand years in the future). Beautifully written and structured, the book should be a big hit with SF fans. The pseudonymous author’s name is being kept secret, but fans of SF and fantasy authors China Mieville, Christopher Priest, and Adam Roberts might note a stylistic similarity, especially in the novel’s elegant prose. Whoever Claire North turns out to be, he or she has written a remarkable book. --David Pitt

• Like 9

Yesterday I read the contemporary romance Her Naughty Holiday (Men at Work)  by Tiffany Reisz; this was a quick and entertaining read with some amusing dialogue.  (Definite adult content)

"A feast she wasn't expecting! 

Clover Greene would sooner crawl into her oven than host family for Thanksgiving dinner. Yet another annual ritual of too much food, served with a side of criticism over "Clover's Bad Life Choices." This year, she needs to distract them all—with a handsome fake boyfriend. And she has the perfect guy in mind...."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

The Kindle Daily Deal today pertains to cooking.  See here --

Today only: Up to 80% off Kindle cookbooks

One book about which I've heard good things is on sale for $1.99 ~  The Drunken Botanist  by Amy Stewart

Is this the book that was mentioned earlier?  The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day  by Jeff Hertzberg

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I wear rash guards as well. I don't have swim leggings though. I slather my legs with sunscreen and put a towel over them when sitting.

I imagine you already do this, but a PSA for those who might not:

Be sure to get the back of the legs and especially near the line of the bathing suit in the back (however high or low that may be ;) ). A dermatologist we know has seen a number of cases of skin cancers there, most likely because it's a place people are often are lax with sunscreen. A pre-teen we know also recently had to have a suspicious spot removed from her leg. It may be hard to get a teen to cover up, but at least try to encourage them to slather up.  ;)

End of PSA. You may now return to your regularly scheduled book thread.  :)

• Like 14

And the MOST important book for anyone who is celiac or otherwise gf..... Gluten Free Christmas Cookies! This was my very first dessert cookbook after I was diagnosed. I am in love with this book. There are recipes for everyday type desserts as well. Even people who are not gf love the goodies we bake from this book. This is not a low fat book. This is not a paleo book. This is not a healthy dessert recipe book. I think it's funny when people assume gluten free = healthy food. This book, my friends, will let you indulge in all the yummy sinful deliciousness of naughty desserts. Yes, you need it in your life. (Then sign up with Fitness Blender to work off those desserts. :lol:  ) 

:laugh:

What sorts of flours do the recipes use? Do they all use GF all-purpose flour? I'd love to find one that uses a variety of flours. Recipes without xanthan gum would be an added bonus.

Speaking of Paleo...

One of my current favorite cookbooks is Paleo Slow Cooker Cookbook by Emily Dionne. I think it might also be published under the title The Everything Paleolithic Diet Slow Cooker Cookbook: Includes Pumpkin Bisque, Herb-Stuffed Tomatoes, Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew, Shrimp Creole, Island-Inspired Fruit Crisp and hundreds more!

Another is The Paleo Primer by Keris Marsden and Matt Whitmore

I tend to like Paleo cookbooks more than the gluten-free cookbooks I've tried -- especially if all they do is swap out wheat flour for GF all-purpose (usually rice-based) flour.

The Christmas Cookie one is tempting me, though!!

• Like 9

My favorite recent cookbook is Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen and my favorite classic cookbook is Fannie Farmer. I mostly use the internet these days, though.

This week:

I finally hit page 400 in my Danish book, Odinsbarn. It has taken me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get this far. 

For fun, I am reading Kringle this week. By the time I heard about it on these boards, my kids were too old for it. I, of course, am not too old for it lol. 

I finished A Very Russian Christmas, and have started On Marx: Revolutionary and Utopian by Alan Ryan. On Marx is an excerpt from Ryan's two-volume On Politics: A History of Political Thought from Herodotus to the Present. If I like On Marx, I think I will get Ryan's On Politics.

If you have writers to buy for, check out these Writer's Blocks on Etsy. I bought the bundle of three:

https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/listing/211991789/writers-block-3-block-bundle?ref=listing-shop-header-1

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 9

Woot Woot! We are on the final countdown for the purchase of our business property.  Our bank gave us the final approval for SBA funding. I'm now an expert at jumping hoops.   Presently we just need to get the seller in line. She disappeared to China for a month without means of contact and left her real estate agent to make sure repairs to the house get done. She's supposed to be back. So cross your fingers, toes, legs, and anything else you can for closing to happen within the week.   

Working on getting your bingo prezzies in the mail. You all busted my bingo budget.   :thumbup:   No complaints, I'm having fun.

Congratulations!

I'm reading another chunky - Dean Koontz One Door Away From Heaven which is full of non stop action. Taking me for a wild ride.

Michelina Bellsong is on a mission. She is following a missing family to the edge of America . . . to a place she never knew existed—a place of terror, wonder, and shattering revelation. What awaits her there will change her life and the life of everyone she knows—if she can find the key to survival. At stake are a young girl of extraordinary goodness, a young boy with killers on his trail, and Micky’s own wounded soul. Ahead lie incredible peril, startling discoveries, and paths that lead through terrible darkness to unexpected light.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 13

Bingo's - Check the list and if you've completed a bingo of any sort and your name is missing, let me know and what rows you completed.  

Ali in Or

Angel

Angelaboord

Crstarlette

ErinJ

Ethel Mertz

Jenn

Lady Florida

Laughing Cat

MomNinja

Mumto2

Nan

Stacia

Tress

Violet Crown

AngelaBoord and Ali in Or -- Pm your snail mail and email address to me.  I have everyone else.  

Well done, Ladies!!!! 

• Like 12