Menu

Crawling to the end

We school jan-dec and finish next week. We all got sick with colds again this week, which means that behaviour management takes more out of me.

I'm so tired and finding it reeeeally hard to just get through these last few days. I want to be done and just rest. We're bare bones as it is and still, it's hard.

Give me commiserations or a kick in the behind please?

Ugh.  I don't have any advice.  We have 2 weeks left and are low-crawling to the finish line, too.  The Nutcracker has completely taken over our lives (9 year-old does ballet); for safety reasons, we had to make a huge bedroom switch which involved repainting three bedrooms; family is coming; and our friends had a horrible emergency, which means I've taken in a 6th kid (another toddler) and 2 more dogs (bringing the dog total to 5).   :svengo:  Oh, and the oldest two are working on their WTM research paper, which they've never done before...   :glare:

Did I mention family is coming???    :willy_nilly:

Next year, we are taking December off.  I don't know what I was thinking.

• Like 1

I think I'd take a sick day and try to finish strong next week. Or do light school today and tomorrow (for us, that was usually math, Bible, and reading with a fun read-aloud thrown in, and the kids could build with legos while listening to audiobooks or Adventures in Odyssey.) Plan something fun for one of your last days so that you all have something to look forward to. My kids used to love playing Monopoly, so one day we'd do that for math and reading. I'd often make a special treat on the last day for breakfast. 

Tell yourself you know you'll enjoy your break more if you finish strong!

• Like 2

Many textbooks are written not to be needed to finish. Even if they are, most B&M schools don't. Not all homeschoolers start homeschooling with the primary goal of beating a B&M at their primary goals.

We do not HAVE to join and run the race that others are running. We have choices. We can pick our own races.

You could go on field trips. You could have movie and read aloud days. You could paint.

Life is short. So short. I don't want to spend the rest of mine limping in the races of others.

• Like 8

We just took a week and a half break due to illness and holidays and friends and everything else that accrued. That's life! It's okay to take a mental health break and just go a little longer into the spring or summer, really :)

Many textbooks are written not to be needed to finish. Even if they are, most B&M schools don't. Not all homeschoolers start homeschooling with the primary goal of beating a B&M at their primary goals.

We do not HAVE to join and run the race that others are running. We have choices. We can pick our own races.

You could go on field trips. You could have movie and read aloud days. You could paint.

Life is short. So short. I don't want to spend the rest of mine limping in the races of others.

Thank you.

I needed this reminder today

• Like 3

Oh, one year we watched Seven Little Australians to finish up the year. One or two episodes a day. It's literature! And history! And Australian studies!

Love it! We have actually been watching Bush Tucker Man which is really interesting, the first season is full of history!

I have Christmassy stuff planned for after next week, we're going to watch swan lake and the nutcracker (we studied tchaikovsky), do some canvas painting and wood carving and baking for Christmas presents. And we were just talking about visiting the new pool with giant slides next Friday as a celebration of finishing.

I was just so tired and I'm sick of constant colds, my kids don't do well with 'pushing through', it's like dragging them through quicksand.

• Like 5

One more week one more week. ..

My kids former public school had field trips and parties for the last two weeks of school year :)

My friends kids back home finish the school year in mid November and school starts back 2nd January 2017. A family is touring Australia, they were at Tasmania, Sydney and not sure where next. Another family is touring New Zealand.

• Like 2

Also, our school looks very little like public school, I really don't spend much time or energy worrying about it. I just really want us to finish up a couple of things so I can feel comfortable with our progress this year. The world won't end if we dump it, but I think it's worth one more push.

• Like 4

Most of us started homeschooling for lots of different reasons, but it is so easy to get drawn into what OTHER homeschoolers are doing, or what we THINK other homeschoolers and B&M are doing. It is so easy to lose OUR way. It so easy to take on the burdens of OTHERS that were never meant to be ours.

For Christians, Adam was promised weeds and sweat, but not crushing work. The Israelites were freed from their bondage of making bricks with no straw. Jesus said HIS burden is light.

In pagan circles, this stuff is called a 10 of wands situation. If you google, "10 of wands" and then click "images" you might find an inspiring picture. The books that come with tarot cards are full of quotes and affirmations about shedding burdens that are not ours.

I'm sure all major religions must address this issue. It is universally human.

It is really easy to get confused about what burdens have been truly placed upon us. As the decades pass, I'm quicker to drop burdens no matter what onlookers think about it. I've probably passed the halfway mark of my life. I'm getting stingy with what is left.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 2

Hunter, thank you for sharing your wisdom with this board.

As for my moaning first post, it feels more like needing to pull on my boots, march through something slightly difficult, and show my kids what self discipline is.

I am feeling much more positive about our last week, so thank you everyone!

And, my boost from yesterday...

My oldest couldn't remember how to spell 'exhausted' - ironic, I know! She wrote about 5 different, increasingly frustrated, versions on her test paper. Eventually she wrote "I don't know. Does 'fatigatus' count?"

Yes my darling daughter, the Latin word for weary/fatigue (spelled correctly!) certainly counts!

• Like 6

... I'm so tired and finding it reeeeally hard to just get through these last few days... Give me commiserations or a kick in the behind please?

I'll be the marathon support person, dispensing gloves and knee-pads (for the crawling) and chocolate (to keep up your strength). :tongue_smilie:

For all of you gasping at the last hill before the holiday break: go...go...go...go! You can do it! Just a few more days!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4