Menu

Uses for old pillows?

MEmama

Title pretty much says it all.

We've finally decided to stop buying cheap pillows and I have a bunch of old flat ones stashed around. I don't know what to do with them other than throw them out, but I'm sure there's a use for them out there somewhere.

Anyone have ideas?

You can even buy special covers for old pillows to make them look more like dog beds. I found some on Etsy.

I also like to wash old pillows and then put nice shams on them for use in the living room while watching tv, as a back support, or just for some extra color. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

Donate them to your local animal shelter.

I wonder if they'll accept them? That seems like a good use.

We don't have pets and we don't sew. There must be something else, in case the shelter can't use them. I hate to fill a landfill with them. But I'm tired of just hanging on to them, too.

I wonder if they'll accept them? That seems like a good use.

We don't have pets and we don't sew. There must be something else, in case the shelter can't use them. I hate to fill a landfill with them. But I'm tired of just hanging on to them, too.

List them in your local garage sale? If they are washed, I would think someone could put them tomgood use.

• Like 1

Donate them to your local animal shelter.

Unlikely to be helpful. 

Old towels -- yes, for bathing. Very helpful for any kennel/animal facility. :) Can't get enough of them. :)

Old blankets -- maybe, a few, thin ones especially, for one-time use as a euthanasia blanket maybe or to snuggle with a dog while it's being held or cuddled. 

But, big old blankets/pillows/comforters/other fluffy stuff is all but useless in a well run shelter. 

This is why:

1) Many dogs will rip stuff up and then eat it, especially in a stressful environment. Then the dogs get their guts full of bedding, and either die or require $$$$ in veterinary care. So, well run shelters won't give dogs loose bedding except when/if closely supervised (which is generally not possible).

2) Animal bedding in a shelter must be washed daily if not more frequently. Dogs in kennels are NOT able to go outside often enough to go potty outside on a regular basis (even if they are potty trained, which would be unusual in a shelter dog). So, anything in the kennel will be urine and feces soaked within 24 hours. Fluffy stuff like comforters and pillows costs way too much $$ and time to launder regularly. Absolutely huge waste of limited shelter $$.

Occasionally a vet hospital or boarding facility might use "fluffy stuff" because they are willing to pay the $$ to launder it and feel they provide enough walks to avoid it getting soiled and/or they have enough staff to supervise 24/7 for safety (dogs eating the bedding -- NOT AT ALL rare).

But, a shelter? Rarely, if ever, would a well run shelter use soft bedding. If so, it'd be one use and then into the dumpster the same day. 

Give some $$ to your shelter, or ask them what they need, but surely don't bring your old pillows there.

The shelter can take the $$ and buy comfortable, sanitary beds . . .

FWIW, we use Kuranda cots that are made of a heavy vinyl for our dog kennels at our vet hospital . . . Sanitary, comfy, very sturdy, and they don't go in the laundry machines . . . Even with NOT doing large bedding at the hospital routinely, and with just our basic wash loads (towels, rags, scrubs, mop heads . . .) that don't include big fluffy stuff . . . we still kill a $1000 washer ever couple years, lol. :)

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 3

Unlikely to be helpful.

Old towels -- yes, for bathing. Very helpful for any kennel/animal facility. :) Can't get enough of them. :)

Old blankets -- maybe, a few, thin ones especially, for one-time use as a euthanasia blanket maybe or to snuggle with a dog while it's being held or cuddled.

But, big old blankets/pillows/comforters/other fluffy stuff is all but useless in a well run shelter.

This is why:

1) Many dogs will rip stuff up and then eat it, especially in a stressful environment. Then the dogs get their guts full of bedding, and either die or require $$$$ in veterinary care. So, well run shelters won't give dogs loose bedding except when/if closely supervised (which is generally not possible).

2) Animal bedding in a shelter must be washed daily if not more frequently. Dogs in kennels are NOT able to go outside often enough to go potty outside on a regular basis (even if they are potty trained, which would be unusual in a shelter dog). So, anything in the kennel will be urine and feces soaked within 24 hours. Fluffy stuff like comforters and pillows costs way too much $$ and time to launder regularly. Absolutely huge waste of limited shelter $$.

Occasionally a vet hospital or boarding facility might use "fluffy stuff" because they are willing to pay the $$ to launder it and feel they provide enough walks to avoid it getting soiled and/or they have enough staff to supervise 24/7 for safety (dogs eating the bedding -- NOT AT ALL rare).

But, a shelter? Rarely, if ever, would a well run shelter use soft bedding. If so, it'd be one use and then into the dumpster the same day.

Give some $$ to your shelter, or ask them what they need, but surely don't bring your old pillows there.

The shelter can take the $$ and buy comfortable, sanitary beds . . .

FWIW, we use Kuranda cots that are made of a heavy vinyl for our dog kennels at our vet hospital . . . Sanitary, comfy, very sturdy, and they don't go in the laundry machines . . . Even with NOT doing large bedding at the hospital routinely, and with just our basic wash loads (towels, rags, scrubs, mop heads . . .) that don't include big fluffy stuff . . . we still kill a $1000 washer ever couple years, lol. :)

Good to know, thanks.

I guess I have to toss them. :(

• Like 1