Menu

Adopting out (rescued) dogs--worth getting them neutered?

Aura

I have a beagle mix I rescued from the highway. He's microchipped, but not registered. I have made every possible attempt to find his owners and have had no luck.

We cannot keep him. This is simply not an option.

If he doesn't get adopted before Christmas, I'm surrendering him to the shelter. I'm hoping that someone will adopt him for their kid for Christmas--I know it's generally not recommended that you get a pet for Christmas, but it's better than the local shelter, which is not no-kill. And he's not a puppy nor in a fragile emotional state. This guy loves meeting new people and loves kids especially.

I've already posted him up for adoption in various places, but not a single bite. I've attached a nominal adoption fee to him ($25) but I'd like to get him neutered and up the cost of the adoption to cover that cost. I can cover the cost via credit card, but it's got to get paid back. I can't just fork out $60-90 for this (and that's the low-cost neuter) and not recoup that cost. If I do this, would that make him more adoptable? Or am I shooting myself in the foot by upping the cost of his adoption? If I surrender him, they'll end up neutering him anyway.

Edited by Aura
  • Like 1

I think I would take him to a shelter as they have a vetting process for finding pet owners. I know you said your shelter was not no kill but it has been my experience that shelters do try to get adoptable dogs to shelters with lower kill rates if the dog is at risk of being put down. That was the situation with our dog.

• Like 2

The thing about shelters is...well, they're shelters. They're not homes. It's a last resort.

I can foster this dog for a little bit longer. I can vet potential owners. I can update his shots & get him fixed, but I do need to be reimbursed for those costs. I'm already covering his food (which he's getting extra special cause he's so thin), deworming, flea control and clothes(okay, one sweater, but I don't expect to recover that cost).

If I end up surrendering him anyway, it's not worth it for me to try to get him fixed.

Edited by Aura
  • Like 1

Try reaching out to a rescue place near you and offer to continue fostering him if they will pay for him to be neutered and help adverstise him for adoption. They can have their fee to adopt recoup the neuter fee and you've helped everyone, but aren't out vet bills. I always see the local rescue places asking for foster homes.

• Like 9

If it is a mandatory for you to be reimbursed for the neuter, I would just send him to a shelter now.  A shelter would require that before adoption and they get much better deals to have that done.  The idea of looking for a rescue to take on expenses while you foster is a great one if that option is available.   Some rescues will not do this though.

I would not pay outright for a neuter and expect to be reimbursed for it.  If you had endless funds and zero expectations, I might. 

• Like 2

I would contact both local rescue groups and beagle rescue groups in your state. I'd tell them just what you told us--the circumstances under which you found the dog and all you've done--and say that you just can't keep him past a certain date. Ask if they can help. They might be able to take him now or add you to their intake waiting list.

If you can't afford his neutering, I wouldn't have it done and expect to get that money back. Tell the rescue group that if they can handle the cost of the neutering and take ownership of the dog, you can continue fostering until X date. 

Shelters are scary places for dogs, and many do have high kills rates. I would try to get him placed with a rescue group if you're not able to find him a home.

Good for you for taking him in!  :thumbup1:

• Like 5

The staff at our vet's office is really good at finding homes for stray animals, litters of kittens, etc.  If you stopped by several vet clinics, brought the dog with you, and explained your predicament, someone may know of a potential adopter.  I would do that before taking a dog to a shelter. 

• Like 2

The rescues I volunteered for will not adopt out an unaltered animal. I personally would neuter him because I could not live with myself if he contributed to the pet over population problem with an ooopsie litter & I had missed an opportunity to prevent it. 

FWIW, the fees you're talking about sound insanely low.  Our rescue dogs here go for $350-550 but they're altered, had a vet check, deworming, deflea and vaccines up to date. At the municipal shelters it's more like $100 and you get what you see... but rescues are much more expensive. 

Is there no rescue in your area with whom you can work to network this guy? 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 1

Well, apparently the poster I made for Facebook has caught a lot more attention than the last few posts I've made! I posted to a homeschool group, and I've had several people contacting me showing interest. Now, on to the vetting process. Hopefully, one of them will work out.

• Like 3

That is a very cheap price for a neuter. It is likely because you are in the south.

Hornblower, I believe I remember that you're in Canada? In the US, rescues can be cheap - or not. In the south there is a serious problem with strays and poor dogs who live their entire life on a chain or in other undesirable circumstances. Adopting down south is cheaper. In the Northeast, many of the dogs in rescues have been transported from the south. I adopted a dog and his blind mother or sister (not sure which) and paid $400 for the two. I then paid another $300 to transport them to NH. I also adopted from a shelter in VT. This dog came from the south and was a puppy. I wanted an older dog but she was the only dog who would tolerate my over steung blackmouth cur. She was adopted out at 3.5 months and was not aoayed. I paid $600 for her. People complain about the cost, but I look at the volume of dogs which they transuport from the south WEEKLY and I am more than happy to contribute. The spay was another $300 or so. Money well spent. I saved a life.

• Like 2

My two dogs I got for $400 I adopted from FL so they were cheaper than adopting in New England. I gave a video your of the home and yard. They are more lenient when adopting in the sputh because it is impossible to find hones for the numbers of dogs there.

Just wanted to clarify.

My cats and kittens have been from the south AND from New England. They all have cost $100

That is a very cheap price for a neuter. It is likely because you are in the south.

Hornblower, I believe I remember that you're in Canada? In the US, rescues can be cheap - or not. In the south there is a serious problem with strays and poor dogs who live their entire life on a chain or in other undesirable circumstances. Adopting down south is cheaper. In the Northeast, many of the dogs in rescues have been transported from the south. I adopted a dog and his blind mother or sister (not sure which) and paid $400 for the two. I then paid another $300 to transport them to NH. I also adopted from a shelter in VT. This dog came from the south and was a puppy. I wanted an older dog but she was the only dog who would tolerate my over steung blackmouth cur. She was adopted out at 3.5 months and was not aoayed. I paid $600 for her. People complain about the cost, but I look at the volume of dogs which they transuport from the south WEEKLY and I am more than happy to contribute. The spay was another $300 or so. Money well spent. I saved a life.

I live in the midwest and the shelters here regularly get van loads of animals brought up from the south.  We adopted a yellow lab/white german shepherd mix from Louisiana who was transported to our Humane Society by the PetSmart Rescue Waggin'.  :001_smile:

• Like 1