Menu

Annoyed about money

Bluegoat

If you decide to get the helmets can you turn it into a gift that keeps on giving? Like maybe "ice skating every Wednesday with hot chocolate /popcorn and a movie night afterwards?" Or something like that, Then the gift is "more" but the cost is spread out.

This is a really good idea - I am going to think about this even if my dad goes for giving them the helmets.

• Like 2

No, no bike helmets allowed.  They are only good for one impact.

Multi-sport helmets is what I would get, but the cost is the same as for hockey helmets, so that is still a chunk out of my budget.  The advantage is they are also ok for biking.  If I'd realized back when I bought bike helmets for them a few years ago, I would have got the multi-impact ones then.  The rinks allow, but don't prefer those though to hockey helmets, because they prefer face masks.  My dd8 who takes rec skating is constantly being told she should get a face mask.

Strictly speaking they should all have new bike helmets, as they ones they have passed on to each other have all been whacked at least a few times.

I've looked for used helmets, but I haven't seen any.  I suspect people won't take them because they are safety equipment and they don't know the history.  Though they do sell other hockey pads and such, but maybe it is more obvious if those are broken?

TBH, I hate having to buy bike helmets for the kind of riding my kids do as well.  If they were in a lot of traffic, or doing BMX or cross-country, it would make sense, but for riding up to their friend's place, I don't think it's any more dangerous than the other activities they get up to once they are there.

It just feels like another way a healthy recreational activity becomes out of reach or impinges.  I want to be spending my money on music lessons or ballet, or even an actual bike for my dd11 who has grown a foot.  And I would kind of like their Christmas gifts to be not totally utilitarian.

I might have hockey helmets; I am weeding out and have to look but mine played travel hockey for years.  What size do you need? 

• Like 2

I don't know if this is a concern or not, but don't you need the children to try on the helmets before anyone purchases them?? This summer we considered getting ds a new bike (he's outgrown his) and helmet (also outgrown). Walmart helmets had a vague size range and none of them fit him properly. I was looking at one at a bike store but it was a lot more than I wanted to pay (if we had bought the bike there they would have given a discount on accessories, but we decided it wasn't in the budget and he was kinda in between sizes on bike frames, too). All this to say, I think helmet shopping requires the participation of the one wearing it. Otherwise, they might open an item on Christmas day that doesn't fit (which would be a huge bummer if exchanging it is inconvenient or you want to ice skate immediately). So buying online or second hand or gifting at all might be difficult?

• Like 1

I always got my kids 2nd hand helmets.  I know you aren't supposed to, but they didn't look like they had been in an accident and they were affordable.  AND the kids grow out of them!

I used to yard sale a lot.  I haven't recently because the kids are older and don't want the same stuff anymore.  But we got all of our helmets at thrift stores and yard sales.  Usually around $1-$4.

• Like 1

Yes, I do think they need to be fitted.  One possibility is gift cards, or we could just keep the recipts.

I go to used places pretty frequently, so I do always keep a look out.  I'm not opposed to that in principle.  I should keep a look at yard-sales, though we are no longer in the right season here for those. 

I might have hockey helmets; I am weeding out and have to look but mine played travel hockey for years.  What size do you need? 

That's very thoughtful!  You are in the uS I think?  I wonder if it might not cost about the same to ship them as to buy new - they are kind of bulky.

I doubt the rinks want to have a rule requiring helmets, but they are forced to have them in order to protect themselves from people who will sue at the drop of a hat.  They may be required to have these rules in order to get liability insurance.

I am really curious about how this came to be, though.  In the US I might have guessed that paying for health care might be related, but that isn't an issue here.

Why is it that in many countries in Europe, they assume people are responsible for themselves and their own decisions, but here in N.America you can sue a rink for your decision not to wear a helmet?

It's seems to be some difference iin values or something, but the N. American approach makes zero sense to me.

I am really curious about how this came to be, though. In the US I might have guessed that paying for health care might be related, but that isn't an issue here.

Why is it that in many countries in Europe, they assume people are responsible for themselves and their own decisions, but here in N.America you can sue a rink for your decision not to wear a helmet?

It's seems to be some difference iin values or something, but the N. American approach makes zero sense to me.

The medical insurance companies themselves have a lot to do with it, they (not the injured individual) are usually the ones who decide to sue in case of an injury.

• Like 1

The medical insurance companies themselves have a lot to do with it, they (not the injured individual) are usually the ones who decide to sue in case of an injury.

This. If you break your arm they give you a form to fill out with the details of how you were injured and where. If the health insurance can go after someone's home owner or liability coverage, they will. You, the patient, have no say in the matter unless you pay for the medical expenses out of pocket.

• Like 1

That's very thoughtful!  You are in the uS I think?  I wonder if it might not cost about the same to ship them as to buy new - they are kind of bulky.

Yes, I am, and I don't know.   Are you not in the U.S.?  Let me see what I have. They are kind of expensive, like $100 and up.  Sometimes you can get them a little cheaper. 

I'm in Canada, too, and our municipal skating rinks have required helmets for 12 and under children for at least 10 years. It's certainly nothing new. Surely over the years you've had chances to find helmets in yard sales, used sporting goods stores, trades/hand-me-downs from friends. With all the hockey going on in Canada, there must be thousands of kids playing in your area.  I've never had to buy a new hockey helmet or skates for any of my 4 kids, but I do keep my eyes open for deals.

Another way to save on skating costs is to ditch the lessons and just get out and skate at least once a week. Unless you're into figure skating and need special techniques, there is very little skill needed to learn to skate other than exposure. 

As for the need of bike and hockey helmets, just do it. Your dc's brains are worth it. I spend money on bike helmets, and spend next to nothing on bikes. They are easy to find at garage sales, from neighbours or even at the curbs on garbage day.

Edited by wintermom

Let me tell you a story about 'oh I would rather it be cheaper than pay for liability' .

I signed away my right to sue for pain and suffering and lost wages -- without permanent debilitating injury -- in auto insurance . This is called 'limited tort'.

Then I got into a horrific accident . Two years recovery. I don't want to go into details. I was 20. Imagine yourself at 20 , or your 20 year old, taking two years to walk again.

I now think anyone who says 'I'd never sue / I'm willing to take the risk' has just never been in those shoes . You don't know.