Menu

silly thought...why does math have so many problems?

Because you are working on finding the solution. And since Math isn't Chemistry, that means a solution requires a problem as its source. 

But I like solving problems and finding solutions. So maybe I'm just weird.

But there are solutions to puzzles (puzzles are fun) and then there are solutions to problems (problems are not fun).

I'd rather do a puzzle than deal with problems. 

(Really my post is not meant to be serious.)

• Like 4

In German, math has "tasks".

This makes sense to me.  :)  Tasks sounds better somehow than problems.  I like tasks.

Although puzzles sounds even better...

You are right, Sparkly, math has too many "problems".  It should be puzzles and tasks.  LOL

Does anyone have another term that might be better?

• Like 1

I always wonder why math exercises or puzzles (I like to call them) are referred to as "problems". Makes math suffer from a real PR problem I think. Who wants a bunch of problems?! I have enough problems.

Ok...carry on.

:lol:

The geeky shirt I got my ds for Christmas said "Dear math, I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems."

• Like 6

Exercises and extensions would make more sense.

In high school, we just called them A, B, or C problems as the textbook did. As didnot require thinking. Bs did require a little, and Cs had you in abstract land, proving things. Usually one C problem was assigned daily and It wasnt unusual to continue to work on that in study hall.

Not all of them are equations are they?

No...

Proofs come to mind as "not equations" but we just call those proofs.

I would consider anything involving an equal sign to be an equation. But if you start out with a word problem of any kind it is not an equation until you set one up.

• Like 3

Not all of them are equations are they?

Hmm... I find it's usually:

1) Solve the equations (usually practice)

2). Decide what equation is in the question then .... solve the equation in order to answer the question

3). Find the missing or unknown parts of an equation

Edited by UmmYahya03

In the old days they were called sums, which was rather rude the the subtractions, multiplications and divisions.

I think typically here they are called exercises or questions but none of them is really accurate.

People keep saying maths is like art so maybe we should talk about dealing with our math creations.

Actually I'd love to see Math become more creative and playful anyway so that could be good.

Hmm... I find it's usually:

1) Solve the equations (usually practice)

2). Decide what equation is in the question then .... solve the equation in order to answer the question

3). Find the missing or unknown parts of an equation

No I see a lot more than that.

Here are some numbers and letters...now try to draw this torturous graph.  LOL

Oh you think you understand how to work with the letters and numbers?  Let's confuse you more with some weird symbols (we found scratched on an Egyptian tomb).  And log...we'll throw your letters and numbers on a log.  Float it down the river of confusion.

• Like 3

In the old days they were called sums, which was rather rude the the subtractions, multiplications and divisions.

I think typically here they are called exercises or questions but none of them is really accurate.

People keep saying maths is like art so maybe we should talk about dealing with our math creations.

Actually I'd love to see Math become more creative and playful anyway so that could be good.

DD is working on her math creations even as we speak. LOL

• Like 1