Menu

What, to you, are racist actions?

mykidsrmyjoy

I can tell you that by college, I had been in speech therapy for over 13 years, and had had years of training to improve intelligibility, because by about middle school it was obvious those sounds were not going to remediate, so let's work on improving everything else. I wouldn't have been offended by a professor suggesting speech therapy, but I would have been a bit annoyed because if he/she had read my 504 plan, it would have been obvious that there was a known, diagnosed disability there and that we were doing the best we could.

Interesting - do college professors all see every student's 504 plan?

I'm not sure that existed 30 years ago, but it would be relevant today.

I can tell you that by college, I had been in speech therapy for over 13 years, and had had years of training to improve intelligibility, because by about middle school it was obvious those sounds were not going to remediate, so let's work on improving everything else. I wouldn't have been offended by a professor suggesting speech therapy, but I would have been a bit annoyed because if he/she had read my 504 plan, it would have been obvious that there was a known, diagnosed disability there and that we were doing the best we could.

At many (most?) universities the student's actual diagnosis and plan is not provided to the professor, but simply the accommodation required. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

English is not my native tongue and although I have been in this country for 23 years I still speak English with an accent. I have been told " we don't do accents in Missouri," "You have lived here how long? and you still speak with and accent? " It doesn't matter that the person saying that to me had a thick southern accent himself.... Many, many people do not have any trouble understanding me. They love my accent. Every now an then I encounter people who are deaf or SOMETHING... How about "Your kid got into Vanderbilt because she is Hispanic." It really doesn't matter that she is academically gifted...no, that didn't play a role at all. People think that if you have an accent you must be stupid. I speak three languages and I have a Masters in Biological Science...stupid I am not. An let's not forget that I am a dark Mediterranean looking person with a blond blue eyed child: "Is she yours? Where did she get her coloring?" I am Caucasian you know so if you wish I can give you a lecture on genetics...

Edited by StillStanding
  • Like 4

Who "wog" refers to depends a bit on where in history you are, just as "nonwhite" does.

It seems you're no longer a wog once you've switched to a standard Australian accent.

So it's the moral equivalent of calling a Hispanic person a "spic" in the U.S.

English is not my native tongue and although I have been in this country for 23 years I still speak English with an accent. I have been told " we don't do accents in Missouri," "You have lived here how long? and you still speak with and accent? " It doesn't matter that the person saying that to me had a thick southern accent himself.... Many, many people do not have any trouble understanding me. They love my accent. Every now an then I encounter people who are deaf or SOMETHING... How about "Your kid got into Vanderbilt because she is Hispanic." It really doesn't matter that she is academically gifted...no, that didn't play a role at all. People think that if you have an accent you must be stupid. I speak three languages and I have a Masters in Biological Science...stupid I am not. An let's not forget that I am a dark Mediterranean looking person with a blond blue eyed child: "Is she yours? Where did she get her coloring?" I am Caucasian you know so if you wish I can give you a lecture on genetics...

What is wrong with people? I'm sorry you have experienced such hateful, awful remarks. :(

• Like 2

And I suspect the bolded is why you are getting those comments. Apparently, not all accents are created equal.

I have never gotten a negative comment on my accent, and neither has DH whose accent is a lot more pronounced than mine. But then, it's German, and people usually react positively to it. I always got approving comments from strangers when I spoke German with my children. Unlike the mother of DS' ps class mate who was berated for speaking her native language with her children and told to go back where she came from. She was from Venezuela.

• Like 2