Menu

Frequent charlie horse episodes ... ideas?

dirty ethel rackham

For the last couple of weeks, I have been having frequent charlie horse episodes ... but not in usual places like the calf or thigh.  I had one in my adductor (inner thigh) muscle over the weekend (no special activity ... just some light hiking.)  Several times over the last two weeks, I had it in my ankle, the one that I had surgery on 9 months ago and am still rehabbing.  It was stuck in a flexed, curved inward position and it is excruciating - partly because a charlie horse is excruciating and partly because it is the ankle that had surgery and is not pain free.  I can't stand on it like I would with a cramp in the calf.  I tried to physically pull it out of that position, but it wouldn't budge.  Last night, it lasted for 10 minutes (felt like an eternity) and I was crying in pain (something I rarely do ... emotional pain, yes.  Physical pain?  Not so much.)   It is sore today and I constantly feel like a cramp is coming on. 

My diet has been normal ... could use more veggies and fewer carbs, but it is better than the Standard American Diet.  I take a multi-vitamin and vitamin D.  I've been eating bananas so it is not low potassium.  Dh got up and brought me some water, a banana and some magnesium tablets.  I don't think I can go through that again. 

Any ideas?

Continue the magnesium and potassium (food based is great).  

Add in calcium.

For my restless leg, ( leads to my legs cramping), I take sublingual B12 and iron. (I don't know it if it leads to cramping in other people, I have nerve issues.) I was tested. and found to be low in both.  The neurologist told me that some people need to be a bit higher than normal in these 2 supplements, or they get restless leg symptoms. My tests were in the low-normal range.  Once I started supplementing, my symptoms went away completely.  When I stop taking them, the symptoms return in a couple of weeks.

• Like 3

Magnesium. But also vitamin D since they work together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what dh started about a month ago. He used to have them nightly and said last night that he can't remember when he last had one.

Try a little mustard and/or pickle juice. I tried both when my restless legs did not respond to magnesium, iron, or any of the supplements already mentioned.

I had horrid leg cramps after coming off of pain medication after major surgery. I took opioids for almost two weeks (ugh), and the leg cramps started up as the medication left my system. The only thing that helped was motrin and acetaminophen taken together.

You could also try tonic water, but some people have side effects from the quinine, so I recommend it with caution.

When increasing mineral supplementation does not solve muscle spasms, I'd look into poor circulation, hypothyroidism, and inadequate stretching.  Cal-mag-potassium-D resolves it for me most of the time, but I find that I need a lot more stretching and frequent movement as I age to stay limber.

A family member has had terrible problems with these for some time and was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

I was taking magnesium and calcium, with no improvement.

along with being checked for hypo (you want free t3 and free t4), do a 24 hour cortisol test for the adrenals.

adrenals directly affect five muscle groups that stabilize the pelvis.  an unstable pelvis will pull on every muscle in your leg, and can lead to pain even in the foot/ankle (mine has.)

after a leg injury, my leg would. not. heal. cramping up and down my leg - very painful, at times difficult to even walk. (I tried four different therapists to try and help)  I complained every time I saw my dr, but she didn't ever ask anything, let alone make a suggestion

I switched providers and last summer started a more effective treatment for my hypothyroidism (I was chronically under treated. she didn't care about that either.)  within a week, I felt a profound difference sweep down in my leg.  I've also added in adrenal support - and it just keeps getting better, with very few issues anymore.

• Like 1

I had pretty much the exact same issue on the outside of my thigh from a muscle spasm. It was three months of pain and twitching, random seizing, etc. Yes, magnesium helped, but I actually had to change my sleeping position and pillows so I stretched the muscle in a different way for an entire night to get rid of it. In hindsight the second thing I should have done after magnesium was calling massage therapist, because working out the knot in that muscle was crucial to it going away.

Edited by Arctic Mama