Menu

Silver tooth fillings

bethben

I have some silver fillings that I've had for 30+ years and are still going strong.  The new dentist says that they are starting to break down and I should get them replaced.  I know that a lot of people get them removed due to the idea that toxic metal is leaching into your system, but I'm wondering if "it's not broken so don't fix it".  Yet, the average life span of these is around 15 years.  I've had them twice that length and I would expect that they may be breaking down.  What would be a good plan of action?  I'm assuming that if they are taken out, I lose a little more of my tooth with the removal, but I don't want a cracked tooth either.

Suggestions?

I've had a filling break - and ended up needing a crown.

if they're fine - your better off leaving them.  (they are more likely to leach while being removed).  if they are starting to break down (and you're sure they are rather than a new dentist trying to drum up reimbursable work) - they should be replaced sooner vs later.

- my mother stayed with her dentist long after he retired.  he kept a few patients.  he basically kept putting band-aids on things rather than starting over when that's what should have been done.  she needed a lot of work when she switched.  (it was to an established dentist with a good reputation.)

And the problem is, I can see where the new guy is coming from, but yes, he may be looking for reimbursable work also.  This is dentist #2 since I've moved and while this one came recommended, he also did have quite a few sales brochures for various things you can do to make your teeth look better (whitening, veneers, adult braces, guards for snoring, etc).  And the dentist my husband goes to automatically suggested new crowns on his first visit (which has happened every new dentist he's had over the years.  He's had those suckers replaced twice.)

Edited by bethben

And the problem is, I can see where the new guy is coming from, but yes, he may be looking for reimbursable work also.  This is dentist #2 since I've moved and while this one came recommended, he also did have quite a few sales brochures for various things you can do to make your teeth look better (whitening, veneers, adult braces, guards for snoring, etc).  And the dentist my husband goes to automatically suggested new crowns on his first visit (which has happened every new dentist he's had over the years.  He's had those suckers replaced twice.)

It seems like it may be a good idea, but if you are concerned about it being more optional at this stage than optimal, maybe get a second opinion from another dentist.  Be clear it is a second-opinion appointment, that you have a dentist so they don't try to win the business but give an honest assessment.  Also ask them about the risks associated with taking out fillings before they have really started to break down, since different dentists will probably have different experiences.

My husband had some pretty aggressive dental surgery recommended last year.  Tons of money, tons of recovery, tons of management afterwards.  He got 2 other opinions; they could see WHY the original dentist recommended it, but thought the guy was jumping way down the line in terms of treatment.  They thought in 5 years, maybe 7, he will need the procedure, but right now he didn't  (and it's a procedure that has to be redone every 5-7 years, so starting the cycle early doesn't help anything, if anything it only speeds up the rate you need to be redone).  

• Like 1

I've had my amalgam fllings for 43 years and they are still fine.  I did have a dentist tell me that they needed to be removed, but I got a second opinion and I've had them 15 more years without incident.  I don't know where you got the "last only 15 years" information.  I've never heard that before.  I have siblings who have 50 year old fillings with no issues.   I've only known a handful of people who had their amalgams removed and they had problems with tooth sensitivity after that. 

• Like 1

I've had a couple of my old fillings replaced because something happened and cavities had developed between the old filling and my tooth. They weren't that old either - maybe 5 years. My new dentist replaced them with the white ones and I will say, I prefer the look of the white ones, especially in my front molars. 

Over time, I have had many of my original filling replaced. Some of the were as old as my permanent teeth, so 35-40 years old. I have a few left in my back molars which are the youngest of those fillings. I don't think I would replace them just because the are old, but mine were replaced as other issues came up such as addition decay or new cavities very close to the old fillings.

I will admit that I like the look of the new composite filling much better than a mouth full of the old metal fillings.

I've had mine in for about 25 years now, so lasting well past 15 years certainly isn't uncommon.

I'd want a second opinion as well. And if you do checkups every six months or so I'd be comfortable waiting until the next one to check with a different dentist.

I've had my amalgam fllings for 43 years and they are still fine.  I did have a dentist tell me that they needed to be removed, but I got a second opinion and I've had them 15 more years without incident.  I don't know where you got the "last only 15 years" information.  I've never heard that before.

I've heard it before, but I thought it was "on average". I lost a filling at some point in the last 6 months (not sure how old it was), and I chipped a molar, so I had two new fillings put in two weeks ago. A week later, the one I chipped broke off, so I had a new filling in a week. And last night, I *think* I lost the other filling, so I need to go see the dentist today. IOW, averages don't mean much.

I'd get a second opinion and not do anything about existing fillings unless you *have* to.

ETA: these were white fillings, btw, they just happen to illustrate the concept of average.

Edited by luuknam

I've had a couple of fillings fall out.  The last time, a large part of the tooth broke off, down to the root.  There wasn't enough "tooth" left to repair and I had to have a root canal and a post/crown put in.  Not only was it a lot of money, but the tooth broke over a weekend and it was horribly painful until I had the root canal performed several days latter.  

If the dentist thinks the fillings are beginning to fail, I'd have them replaced ASAP !!!