Menu

Interesting, fun, & educational shows for 4 & 7yr old boys...

Noreen Claire

So, quiet time isn't going as well as it used to here. Since DS7 is home this year, he and DS4 want to play together during quiet time, and that generally doesn't make it QUIET, if you know what I mean. I'm about to have baby #5 and am hoping that I can use quiet time to get rest for myself each afternoon, while the new baby and DS2 nap.

I'm looking for recommendations for some interesting, fun, and (preferably) educational shows (DVDs or Netflix, as we don't have cable) to keep them quiet for 90 minutes or so each afternoon. The boys like Magic School Bus, and are nearly finished season 3.  What else is there? They do not have any other screens to use, so apps and games are out.

FWIW, this is only temporary, as quiet time turns into History/Language lesson time in the new year for DS7. (The rest of his schooling is finished before lunch each day.)

Thanks very much!

You might get them listening to audio books too, like the Henry Huggins series or Magic Tree House.

DS7 absolutely LOVES audio books! He spent the summer listening to the entire Rick Riordan Percy Jackson series, and just finished The Hobbit. (He likes things that are slightly scary/full of adventure/above his reading level). However, DS4 doesn't really like the audio books - he prefers if his father or I read to him - and distracts DS7 until he puts the audio book away and plays. I will have to search the library catalog again...

My 8yo dd is obsessed with Survivorman right now. It's not specifically a kids' show, but I've never seen anything inappropriate on the episodes I've watched. You can buy seasons of it on DVD. Be prepared though, if your kids watch it you'll likely start finding crude homemade shelters out in the yard, lol.

• Like 1

when dudeling was that age - he LOVED modern marvels.    (pick by subject.  at the time, he loved trains and ships.)

eta: I occasionally skipped for content.  (pretty rare.)  there were things he found upsetting.  e.g. "inside the walls".  it was about bugs. really freaked him out.

later he got into word world, and kratts kreatures (beWARE the theme song.  shoot me now. . . )

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

On YouTube there are many videos of people reading picture books--might be another option.

I bet you could find reading rainbow.  wow.. that brings back memories.

are they still in production?  30 years????  (there's a pix of levar burton next to a balloon basket - he looks old (or else it's a really bad pic). . . . where did the time go?)

• Like 1

These probably won't work for your 4yo but after seeing that the 7yo is a Percy Jackson fan I have to mention the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. My dvd's have an educational documentary to correspond with each episode. Somewhere there is an old thread with a link to history lessons to correspond I believe.

• Like 1

These probably won't work for your 4yo but after seeing that the 7yo is a Percy Jackson fan I have to mention the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. My dvd's have an educational documentary to correspond with each episode. Somewhere there is an old thread with a link to history lessons to correspond I believe.

My 7yr old would probably love this, thanks!

• Like 1

My 7yr old would probably love this, thanks!

Totally odd to quote myself but I found the link for the classroom lessons to go with each episode http://www.indyintheclassroom.com.

• Like 1