Menu

Spelling help? Do you skip up a few grades for a great reader?

I got Rod & Staff so he could work mostly on his own, but it's way easy. I flipped ahead some and it's still just effortless--busywork at this point. Should I get a higher grade? A more challenging program? Do some kids just...learn to spell well on their own, by reading and being corrected while writing? He's in 3rd, last tested at an 8th grade level for reading so I'm not too worried about getting a higher program, I'm just not sure what's advised. Thanks!!

I used Spelling Power for a while (which I am not necessarily recommending) because it allowed me to give a placement test (up to grade 8 I think, maybe it was grade 12).  Then the way it was structured, the student didn't have to spell any word he already knew how to spell.  It worked well for my mostly natural speller.

• Like 1

I never would have needed a spelling program. If I've seen a word, I can spell it. (Autocorrect frequently makes me look worse than I am, which annoys me tremendously.)

Maybe find a placement test or two online for different programs? I'd say that if a child can spell at a level similar to their reading level, there's no need for a program.

I don't recommend Spelling by Sound and Structure until the fourth grade level. :-)

The thing with Rod and Staff is not that the spelling lists are very difficult. It is that the exercises are quite challenging. Children could have good spelling skills but not understand things like syllabication, prefixes and suffixes, dictionary usage, root words, and more.

My natural reader is not a natural speller. The one who wasn't a natural reader spells well. It depends on the child. I say use the placement test for whatever curriculum you are using, and start there. If your first grader tests on a 5 th grade level for spelling, I would not worry about spelling in first grade. Have them do plenty of writing as tolerated but don't worry about it.

I don't recommend Spelling by Sound and Structure until the fourth grade level. :-)

The thing with Rod and Staff is not that the spelling lists are very difficult. It is that the exercises are quite challenging. Children could have good spelling skills but not understand things like syllabication, prefixes and suffixes, dictionary usage, root words, and more.

This exactly. Unless you're also using their phonics/reading which teaches those things beginning in the second half of first grade, most kids that age will not know what they're supposed to do in the exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said this entirely depends on the child. Just because a child can read at a very Advanced level, that may not translate into being a great speller, and vice versa. Depending on the child you may be able to ditch formal spelling or just do some light spelling or you may need to separate out reading at one level while working on spelling at a different level. How is your child's spelling?

Both of my older children are advanced readers but have solidly age appropriate spelling skills so those things are not typically related. While my son has an adult reading level, he is still in R&S 4 and it is challenging. He does do it independently but frequently I need to walk him through things. There is a big jump in difficulty from 2 to level 3. So my 6 year old is able to do level 2 and it is not a significant challenge, I am dragging it out because I know a few lessons into level 3 would be too much for her. Only you know how his spelling is so taking a look at the samples might be helpful. Some children are natural spellers and some need more hand holding and still others need intensive scaffolding. 

• Like 1

This exactly. Unless you're also using their phonics/reading which teaches those things beginning in the second half of first grade, most kids that age will not know what they're supposed to do in the exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are only a couple of months in but the activities are crazy simple. I've flipped ahead in the workbook but not the teacher manual, I just assumed it'd go over teaching the new terms and things? Need to check that out tonight!

I didn't look for a R&S placement test, so I will hunt for it!

I don't believe there is a placement test. The publishers assume that children in fourth grade will be using the fourth grade text, children in fifth will be using the fifth grade text, and so on. :-)

I have a natural speller and she did AAS in a super-accelerated, once-over-lightly way. It was just right. Quick, easy and thorough. She took 2 years to go through all 7 levels.

Not the curriculum I would choose for a natural speller because it is pricey, not insependent and has lots of parts, but I already had it. My other child needs it. I like the rules and the phonics reinforcement.

I have one who is a natural speller and I chose to advance him into a higher level. In 1st grade he used rod and staff third grade and flew through it. Then in 2nd grade is using the 4th grade. It is definitely more challenging for him. The words themselves aren't but the activities are.

IEWs phonetic zoo is different from RS as it does not have the activities that go along with it and is solely based on spelling. If you feel he is a natural speller, then it wouldn't be a good fit IMO.