Menu

Dr. Hive: prednisone for poison ivy?

Rebel Yell

My husband always did steroid shots with bad ivy breakouts, but I wouldn't worry about a short course of steroid. My son has had to do that a few times after an anaphylactic episode, and the other has had a couple courses due to asthma. The asthma guy is more sensitive, but even he does ok.

Edited by sbgrace

FYI, poison ivy isn't contagious, so unless the instructor at the gym still had oil on himself or his clothes that she came into contact with that's not where she got it; dont be mad at him. ;)

Oh I wasn't blaming him... I meant that someone at the gym a few days before that probably had it on them and BabyBaby and the instructor both broke out at the same time.

• Like 1

Oh I wasn't blaming him... I meant that someone at the gym a few days before that probably had it on them and BabyBaby and the instructor both broke out at the same time.

Gotcha. If she is really going crazy with the itching, spraying with very hot water (the ankle, not the face, of course) for a little bit will stop the itching for around eight hours. Probably not great for the skin, but better than scratching.

• Like 1

Yep standard and I was so thankful to get it after suffering from a very bad exposure.   It's quick and for me..it gave me a very nice boost in energy. 

I agree. Use the prednisone, it is worth it. 

I was on prednisone earlier in the year due to bronchitis/pneumonia and ended up kicking caffeine easily (no headaches) because of that boost of energy.

• Like 1