Menu

Picking myself up and dusting off...it is not tumor

So, with that in mind, I guess I am doing well.

OTH, I seem to be acquiring a longer and longer list of things that are wrong with me: Grave's Disease, high cholesterol, scoliosis...okay fine. Now I can add osteopenia, bulging disk, spinal stenosis, prediabetic, and arthritis of the neck.

Well, it's not a tumor. I did make progress on my osteopenia without drugs, just exercise and calcium supplements. So ladies, it can be done without scary drugs. Possibly by next year the bone scans will find me in the normal range.

The orthopedic dr. told me that I look healthy. I have excellent range of motion. If it weren't for my pain and the numbness in my arms, nothing looks wrong with me. He went over my MRI pics and showed me a bulging disk. He said the bulging was really minor. What is probably causing me the pain was the spinal stenosis and the bulging disk irritating the nerves. One or the other, I may not have had any symptom, but I have both. Oh and by the way, I also have arthritis. My disks are dry.

He said the martial arts is up to me. He did suggest no running or activities in which my arms are over my head like painting a ceiling. I can exercise until I see the red light of pain. Then I should stop and do something else. Also, no crunches because people usually pull on their necks to do the exercise. He told me to do a full dose course of anti-inflammatory medications for two weeks. You know, instead of taking a pill here or there, just to do the whole shebang and get the inflammation down. I can take the muscle relaxer at night. My numbness comes in my sleep and plus I can't sleep because of the tension. He basically told me to cheer up and go forth. Chiropractor work was good but only a temporary relief, so buyer beware.

The chiropractor looked at the MRIs and said the same thing about the bulge. He said the pics look pretty good. He didn't mention anything about spinal stenosis or arthritis. I didn't mention what the other dr. said because I was testing the chiro. Naughty, I know, but I wanted to see if he was a quack or not. Anyway, chiro said his computerized spinal decompression should fix it (not covered by insurance and over a 100 bucks a treatment). I said I couldn't do that. The chiro said that is okay. We could try the manual traction which might do the trick since my bulge is so minor.

Starting ballet today. Gotta do something.

I'm happy there's no tumor :) I hope the anti-inflammatories help with the pain. I think I'd keep going to the chiropractor if that helps you.

I have the ever-growing "laundry list" of ailments, too. I think I need to make "Excelsior!" and "Carpe Diem" my mottoes :D

Happy for you that it isn't a tumor. Sorry to hear about the pain and the rest of it. Your attitude about it all seems to be amazing though. I hope you find some relief from the pain soon!

I've been moping around the house, sullen and despondent. I have to say, though, that these chronic neck/headaches are nothing compared to those who have migraines everyday. I can at least take Advil to be functional. Isn't there somebody on this board who has had a brain buster for six straight weeks? :eek: :thumbdown:

I've been moping around the house, sullen and despondent. I have to say, though, that these chronic neck/headaches are nothing compared to those who have migraines everyday. I can at least take Advil to be functional. Isn't there somebody on this board who has had a brain buster for six straight weeks? :eek: :thumbdown:

That might have been me. The headache from hell that lasted over a month this past summer.

LG, I'm very glad it isn't a tumor. I'm there with you on the Grave's disease and the arthritis while I'm typing with one eye closed so I only see one set of words. Not to mention the 5 other things wrong with me. :grouphug:

That might have been me. The headache from hell that lasted over a month this past summer.

LG, I'm very glad it isn't a tumor. I'm there with you on the Grave's disease and the arthritis while I'm typing with one eye closed so I only see one set of words. Not to mention the 5 other things wrong with me. :grouphug:

The annoying thing is that I am pretty young, 35. So it is all downhill from here! :banghead:

Dr. told me to start taking Osteo Biflex or whatever. It is glucosomine chondroitin (I can't spell) product that you can find at Costco. He said a number of his patients reported feeling better. You can add that to the growing amount of supplements I have to take to "help" me. I am supposed to take a whole bunch more but I haven't gotten around to purchasing them yet.

I was much happier when I was smoking and living off of coffee.

The annoying thing is that I am pretty young, 35. So it is all downhill from here! :banghead:

I know. I was 39 and was diagnosed with three different things within 6 months. It is a PITA. I wish you luck on your journey.

I'm not taking anything for the arthritis. I use a heating pad on my knees and keep my hands as warm as possible. I probably should be taking the Osteo-Biflex. I've read that it will help rebuild the cartilage. I can't afford it on top of all the other meds I'm taking.

vitamindcouncil.org

Have any of your docs thought to check your 25(OH)D? If not, have it done right away. All of the things you list are associated with severe vitamin d deficiency.

2000 IU per day is probably the minimum needed for a typical adult.

Please please get tested right away.

No D containing food or supplements for 48h prior to the blood draw.

Katherine

vitamindcouncil.org

Have any of your docs thought to check your 25(OH)D? If not, have it done right away. All of the things you list are associated with severe vitamin d deficiency.

2000 IU per day is probably the minimum needed for a typical adult.

Please please get tested right away.

No D containing food or supplements for 48h prior to the blood draw.

Katherine

I am not quite sure what that test is but I did have extensive blood work done. I was found to be lacking in vitamin D, glutamine, CQ10, and something else. That's when I found out I am prediabetic.

A couple months ago I was whining :nopity: about my medical expenses. That was why. That particular blood test was $2000. :blink: