Menu

How do you respond when they don't?

How do you respond when they don't? it up for the  

1. 1. How do you respond when they don't? it up for the

• Bump the message in hopes that they see it?
    • Send them a PM to ask if they found it?
    • Assume they read it (if they wanted to) and not worry about it?
    • Other?

When you respond to a post and it took you a little extra time to write it up for them, maybe getting links and running around for titles and such, but they do not respond in any way, do you:

Bump the message in hopes that they see it?

Send them a PM to ask if they found it?

Assume they read it (if they wanted to) and not worry about it?

Other?

Edited by Jean in Wisc

I don't often have anything amazingly helpful to say, but I assume that if someone posted a question and they want to know what the responses were, they read mine. Sometimes I post things and don't have time to get back to the boards for several hours. I assume everyone is in the same boat so its up to them.

If I have a question and no one answered, I will bump it up. Or, you know, if I posted cute pics of my boy and not enough people admired his cuteness. :D

I guess if I felt my post were particularly important, I would PM them. But you know, there are so few cross stitch emergencies here, I haven't felt the need to do that yet. :lol:

I figure that people go back and check their posts for a week or so, maybe longer if it was a hot topic that keeps getting posted on. I suppose if I responded to a post from 3 mths ago and I really had something significant to add, then I would definitely PM them. If the post was less than a week old, I would assume that they are still watching it for current responders.

If you want to bump it, feel free, but unless the person is on the board at the moment, it will probably be buried again in an hour or two. I suppose you could watch the members board and see if they are online, at the moment you want to bump it.

Always feel free to PM people though, I am sure they would appreciate your wisdom.

You bring up a good point. The board moves so fast that it's easy to think that nobody has responded to your post and miss replies. I know I've missed some responses to my questions because I didn't realize someone answered until it occurred to me to search for my op.

t's a shame for the op to miss a reply where someone's gone to extra effort and has posted a lot of information. I think it would be nice if you'd pm the op and let her know you'd posted to her thread.

Doesn't everyone subscribe to threads they want to watch or to which they've replied...or started? When I log in the first thing I do is go to my CP and see if the threads I've started/replied to/ or just subscribed to have any traffic.

If you didn't do that, I can see how you would miss a lot. :confused:

I'm a thread killer. Nobody responds.

Perhaps I smell.

Nah, I'm closest and I can't smell you, so it can't be that!

I assume people will check for answers if they are still interested. If I'm not getting much response to a question I've asked, I'll come back at the end of the day and bump it so you on other time zones will see it.

:)

Rosie

I'm a thread killer. Nobody responds.

Perhaps I smell.

:lol:

That was what I was going to say. I'm such a thread killer. As soon as I respond, even if the topic was hot, everyone leaves. In real life people like me, but I guess my computer image is less than appealing :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

That was what I was going to say. I'm such a thread killer. As soon as I respond, even if the topic was hot, everyone leaves. In real life people like me, but I guess my computer image is less than appealing :tongue_smilie:

No no no...when a thread dies with your post that means you have summed it all up and there is nothing left to say. (either that or everyone has taken the topic off board so they can talk about you in private.:tongue_smilie:)

but the original poster never responds!! :mad:

If I notice that the same person does this all the time, then I don't bother answering their questions.

And on the other hand, it's not easy to wade through when the op responds to every single post with just a few words like "great idea" or "I hadn't thought of that," rather than summing up with some general thanks.

And on the other hand, it's not easy to wade through when the op responds to every single post with just a few words like "great idea" or "I hadn't thought of that," rather than summing up with some general thanks.

Ahhh...but see this lets someone entering the discussion late know that the OP is watching the thread so they might feel more comfortable taking the time to post a long, thoughtful, and full of links response.:)

As Scarlett mentioned subscribing....I always forget to do that to threads that I have started or replied to!!

But I have subscribed to many that I find very insightful in which I have never participated.

Ahhh...but see this lets someone entering the discussion late know that the OP is watching the thread so they might feel more comfortable taking the time to post a long, thoughtful, and full of links response.:)

As Scarlett mentioned subscribing....I always forget to do that to threads that I have started or replied to!!

But I have subscribed to many that I find very insightful in which I have never participated.

:iagree: If the OP never responds after many have answered, and I have something different to contribute, I don't because it may be for nothing - they don't may not bother to read it.