Menu

Why do you grind your own wheat?

Whole wheat flour goes rancid quickly. There's a huge taste difference between freshly ground and store-bought. Also, for me grinding my own is a lot cheaper. I can buy 40-lb of organic white wheat for $14. That's a lot of flour!!

Ria

ETA: I can grind 8 cups of wheat berries in about 4 minutes, so it's pretty quick. I grind a bunch and keep it in the freezer or fridge.

Edited by Ria

The whole wheat berries will not spoil as quickly as pre-ground flour.

I simply take 1 cup of berries and put them in my Kitchen blender and flip the switch. Takes about 2 minutes (or less) to have flour. If you want it to be finer, then put it through a sifter and re-grind the berries that were missed.

I would not advise putting in more than 1 cup at a time. I looked online at wheat grinders and thought they were too costly for the little bit that I was grinding.

HTH!:)

I began grinding for the health benefits. Flour looses it's nutritional value soon after grinding. Grinding fresh wheat preserves maximum nutritional value.

But I quickly found that the taste was superior allowing me to back virtually exculsively with whole wheat flour. I bake all my cookies, most cakes, etc. with 100% whole wheat flour and my kids have even come to prefer this.

Wholewheat turns rancid very quickly . . . fresh ground is, well, fresh.

There is just no comparison. However, I bake everything from scratch. If you don't bake everything homemade it probably isn't worth buying a mill.

Freshly ground wheat contains more nutrients. It is more work, but I do it for health reasons. Some people have figured the cost over so many years--that it comes out cheaper in the long run (your mill/grinder pays for itself), but I haven't calculated that yet so I'm not sure.

Isn't easier (and cheaper) to just buy whole wheat flour?
Nutrition is the big reason; the nutritional value of whole grain flours starts falling from the moment of milling and the flour will eventually become rancid (higher fat flours like soy become rancid more quickly). Taste is better too, but it's "different" and takes a little getting used to.

Nutrition is the big reason; the nutritional value of whole grain flours starts falling from the moment of milling.

He wants to know where the nutrition goes. Yes, it may lose flavor, but how can it lose nutrients just sitting there. I'm having a hard time convincing him that freshly ground flour is better for you. Can anyone point me to a credible source that explains this nutritional loss?

Also, for me grinding my own is a lot cheaper. I can buy 40-lb of organic white wheat for $14. That's a lot of flour!!

Where in the world do you get berries so cheap? All the prices I've seen would make the flour more than a store-bought bag (of course I buy the cheapest store brand whole wheat flour I can find). And that doesn't even include the expense of the grain mill. Do it just depend on the area you live in?

He wants to know where the nutrition goes. Yes, it may lose flavor, but how can it lose nutrients just sitting there. I'm having a hard time convincing him that freshly ground flour is better for you. Can anyone point me to a credible source that explains this nutritional loss?

Mineral and sugar content will remain unchanged, but many vitamins and other nutrients break down on exposure to oxygen (the outer layers of whole grains protect the inner layers), humidity, and light. I'm sure there are other sites, but this is the first one that came up for me.

Great question. I hope someone has an answer.

Wholewheat turns rancid very quickly . . . fresh ground is, well, fresh.

There is just no comparison. However, I bake everything from scratch. If you don't bake everything homemade it probably isn't worth buying a mill.

If you have a stand KA mixer, the grain mill attachment works very well for smaller amounts. I even grind my cups of cumin and coriander through it when I'm making a big batch of garam masala for gifts.

And yes, it tastes much better, IMO.

Also, for me grinding my own is a lot cheaper. I can buy 40-lb of organic white wheat for $14. That's a lot of flour!!

Where in the world do you get berries so cheap? All the prices I've seen would make the flour more than a store-bought bag (of course I buy the cheapest store brand whole wheat flour I can find). And that doesn't even include the expense of the grain mill. Do it just depend on the area you live in?

It's the area. We live less than 5 miles from Amish areas. I buy my wheat at the Route 10 Farm Market. It's lit by gas lights!

Ria

Whole wheat flour goes rancid quickly. There's a huge taste difference between freshly ground and store-bought. Also, for me grinding my own is a lot cheaper. I can buy 40-lb of organic white wheat for $14. That's a lot of flour!!

Ria

ETA: I can grind 8 cups of wheat berries in about 4 minutes, so it's pretty quick. I grind a bunch and keep it in the freezer or fridge.

have you bought wheat berries recently? I'd love to know where you're getting such a great price. My cost per bag is doubled in the last year. I'm paying about $38 per bag.

Most of the nutrients are in the oily part of the grain, which has to be removed so the flour will have a shelf life longer than 3 days. Up to 80% (I think it was) of some nutrients are lost by doing this. Dd has hidden my book somewhere or I'd be able to quote. Also, nutrients can be lost through heating and exposure to the air. Commercial wholewheat flour is basically white flour with bran added back in. Better than plain white, but not that much better.

:)

Rosie

I know that personal stories don't make a case, but we do better with the fiber from freshly-ground wheat and have significantly less eczema (supposedly from the fresh oils). My family is more enthusiastic about the taste as well. I was raised on whole wheat store bread, and I have to say that I like the taste too though.

I don't know to what extent I buy into the nutrition argument, but I've found the price to be at least comparable to buying whole wheat flour at the store, if not somewhat better. And to me it's a lot more convenient, because I can store so much of it at a time and not have to keep going to the store. Wheat berries stay good indefinitely. Also, it just makes me feel kind of cool :)

There is a place in the area that does large bulk orders and I get wheat to grind in 50 lb bags. It's double bagged and will last years so I don't worry about how much I get if the price is right. I couldn't do that with ground wheat because it would go bad.

Besides, my whisper mill grinds it very fine and the taste is fantastic compared to the stuff on the shelf.