Menu

Minimizing Disruptions

My son does fine.

The rest if the world suddenly becomes completely helpless the second we sit down to start schoolwork. I swear even the dog cannot go outside alone to do her business. It is everything from needing help cooking something they have made before, to needing help finding things, to needing to confirm calendar events (even with Google calendar at everyones finger tips) and so on.

In theory I am not the only person able to answer every one of the questions thrown at me, but for some unknown reason this small fact alludes them and they must have my full attention right this second. Oh and everything must take three times as long.

How can I stop this crap so we can do schoolwork? These are not toddlers. Or preschoolers. Or elementry. Or even middle school. Every single person is fully capable of being independent.

Well, not sure what to do about the dog, but I would maybe block out a certain time frame that is sacrosanct (so to speak :) ) and make it clear to the human members of the household that during this period of time unless the house is burning down or aliens are taking over the planet or a zombie apocalypse is happening right at that moment you are NOT to be disturbed.  They can figure it out on their own or find an alternative.  And if there are members of the family not doing school stuff while you are doing school stuff maybe specifically assign them to dog duty.

I kept running into this issue myself, including DH and Mom calling about business stuff.  I finally had to make it clear that the academic time should be treated as if I am at work in a job that requires a lot of concentration and no interruptions unless absolutely necessary.  They were both a bit hurt and sometimes forget but usually they stay out of my hair during "school hours".

Good luck!

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 4

Well, not sure what to do about the dog, but I would maybe block out a certain time frame that is sacrosanct (so to speak :) ) and make it clear to the human members of the household that during this period of time unless the house is burning down or aliens are taking over the planet or a zombie apocalypse is happening right at that moment you are NOT to be disturbed.  They can figure it out on their own or find an alternative.  And if there are members of the family not doing school stuff while you are doing school stuff maybe specifically assign them to dog duty.

I kept running into this issue myself, including DH and Mom calling about business stuff.  I finally had to make it clear that the academic time should be treated as if I am at work in a job that requires a lot of concentration and no interruptions unless absolutely necessary.  They were both a bit hurt and sometimes forget but usually they stay out of my hair during "school hours".

Good luck!

This.

• Like 1

Put up an interruption chart.  Every time a grown person needs you, get up, make a mark next to their name, and help them.  After a few times point out the chart - "Oh, you've needed me a lot today!  6 times and it's only 10am.  Are you sure you can't handle this?"  Then start having them make a mark first before talking to you.  Eventually the visual reminder will sink in and they'll go away. :laugh:

• Like 2

I think it comes down to training people that you simply won't drop everything to take care of their problem. Make 'em wait. Try the line, "Sure. Be glad to help you with that. How does five o' clock tomorrow morning sound? No? You sure? You'll do it yourself? Great!"

• Like 4

Interruptions drive me insane, too. DH works at home and was in the habit of walking in and asking questions anytime without regard to what else is going on. We finally had to agree that if the door is shut, he at least needs to think twice before interrupting.

If we are out in the open - such as in the kitchen while I'm making lunch - he still needs to listen first before interrupting, since we are often still reviewing or discussing something with school, and so his "off-topic question that can wait" is still a major disruption.

Frankly, even if I'm *not* doing school at the moment, I pretty much do not want to talk to anyone. I just need a break from talking!! But that is a hard one to communicate without sounding rude and selfish, lol.

• Like 1