Menu

Insane college move-in day for dd tomorrow!

Miss Peregrine

She's moving 1.5 hours away and has to be on campus at 7:30 am for placement tests. Move-in time is 4 pm.

That's one car and driver out of the equation for this craziness. Dh will be at work. That leaves me to get DS to community college by 7:00 am since dd has to take the car he would normally drive to school. Then get back home (1.5 hours round trip).

Take dd16 to work at 8:30 am and pick her up at 9:30(only a 10 minute drive, round trip.

Take dd13 to high school at 12 and pick her up at 2. (30 minute round trip)

DH will pick up DS at community college on his way home from work since he will pass by. I have to wait until DS gets home to help DD move in at the University because we need someone to drive the car dd drove back home since she is not keeping a car with her on campus.

We probably won't get to the university until 8:30 pm since DS won't be home from his classes until about 6:30.

We'll help her move then drive 1.5 hours home, probably around midnight!

Whew! I deserve a medal or something if I survive.

You'd think the school could have come up with a better schedule than that!

I know. It's ridiculous. She will be doing that until 3:30. Originally her move in-time was 1 but she will still be in placement. They were told that if they didn't show up at their appointed time, their housing might be given to someone on the waiting list. So she changed that, but gosh, so crazy.

• Like 1

I know. It's ridiculous. She will be doing that until 3:30. Originally her move in-time was 1 but she will still be in placement. They were told that if they didn't show up at their appointed time, their housing might be given to someone on the waiting list. So she changed that, but gosh, so crazy.

Wow -- that seems so rigid!  Well, it sounds like you have it all worked out, in any case.

• Like 1

She's moving 1.5 hours away and has to be on campus at 7:30 am for placement tests. Move-in time is 4 pm.

That's one car and driver out of the equation for this craziness. Dh will be at work. That leaves me to get DS to community college by 7:00 am since dd has to take the car he would normally drive to school. Then get back home (1.5 hours round trip).

Take dd16 to work at 8:30 am and pick her up at 9:30(only a 10 minute drive, round trip.

Take dd13 to high school at 12 and pick her up at 2. (30 minute round trip)

DH will pick up DS at community college on his way home from work since he will pass by. I have to wait until DS gets home to help DD move in at the University because we need someone to drive the car dd drove back home since she is not keeping a car with her on campus.

We probably won't get to the university until 8:30 pm since DS won't be home from his classes until about 6:30.

We'll help her move then drive 1.5 hours home, probably around midnight!

Whew! I deserve a medal or something if I survive.

That is crazy that they are having her take the placement tests so early in the morning when she cannot move in until late afternoon!

Good luck with everything.

Why are they giving placement testing so last-minute? Both my twins had their placement testing months ago, before they signed up go fall classes. How do they have freshmen sign up for classes before placement testing?

She is a junior, transferring. She has registered for most of her classes already. These tests are my dictionary theory. She will register for those classes when she gets the results layer that afternoon. Classes start Monday. I don't get it.

That does sound strange. I'm glad your daughter found out the policy andd won't find herself without a room for not showing up.

I frequently have crazy days...without the distance, thankfully. So, I have a few suggestions. I don't know enough details to know if any will work in your situation, but here goes.

Have DD move her stuff in herself when she is finished testing, so car is ready when you get there with son to pick up car.

Go pick up your son as soon as he gets out of class, so you can make it daughter's school earlier, assumes there is a more direct route between college and CC.

Leave kids' car at college until the weekend or even Friday, whenever husband/son is available to make the round trip with you.

Bring her tonight with a backpack of clothes/necessities and drop her at a hotel near campus. She moves into room with tomorrow. You/husband bring her stuff to her when it works this weekend.

Tell 16 year old she cant work a one hour shift tomorrow or needs to walk. Have hs student find a ride to class, even if it means going super early/staying late. Let son take car to CC. You drive daughter to college and wait to unload after testing.

I know you said husband wasn't available. Since he is available in the afternoon, is it possible for him to drop son at/near CC super early.

I hate crazy days, so you have my sympathy.

• Like 1

Whew! I am a master at working out crazy driving and car sharing schedules (5 people, 4 drivers, 2 cars, and several jobs/activities for each of the 3 girls) plus I am a sad combination of cheap and broke so I don't spend extra money easily... But that is a day I would absolutely spring for a rental car if any of the other kids were capable of driving.

That sounds like the kind of day where one extra-long red light can throw your entire schedule into a tailspin.

Whew! I am a master at working out crazy driving and car sharing schedules (5 people, 4 drivers, 2 cars, and several jobs/activities for each of the 3 girls) plus I am a sad combination of cheap and broke so I don't spend extra money easily... But that is a day I would absolutely spring for a rental car if any of the other kids were capable of driving.

That sounds like the kind of day where one extra-long red light can throw your entire schedule into a tailspin.

I didn't think of that. I'm cheap, too. Lol

We don't have as many variables as you but yeah, I'm pretty good with logistics. I'm leaving now for my first assignment!

Well, now I'm embarrassed to say that we started moving dd in at 9 AM and went just as late as you guys! 

In our defense, she is 7 hours away, we had to get her set up pretty well, that was part of it. 

The other part is possibly due to our recreational OCD tendencies. 

• Like 1