Menu

Skipping contractor estimates...

bettyandbob

I need a new roof. My neighbor just got a new roof. She explained the entire process she went through. Why she liked some contractors and dislikes others. She got 5 estimates.

I'm in a townhouse, so neighbor and I have the same type of roof, although mine is bigger (my house is 50% wider). She got approval from HOA.

I'm mentally and physically tired from many things.

So I scheduled the company the neighbor used to look at my roof. Part of me thinks I'm supposed to get several more contractors out here. I'm thinking I'm just going to go with the neighbors guy without doing anymore work, unless his estimate is way outside the range we thought possible.

Has anyone done a minimal effort deciding on a huge purchase. Did it turn out ok.

I guess I should get off my butt and schedule more estimates.

It's really not a lot of extra work to make a few phone calls and then take a few minutes to meet people at the door when they come. It's worth it, in my opinion, on a service that can range in price several hundred dollars. If several hundred dollars isn't worth a couple extra hours of your time in phone calls / meeting people at the door, then don't sweat it. You could also look up some kind of estimator/calculator online to see if their estimate falls within a reasonable range. 

It's your money, you can do whatever you're comfortable with. 

I could see doing what you are doing.  You're getting a recommendation from a trusted source; that could work for me.  We haven't always gotten a bunch of estimates when we've needed work done. 

But in my experience, getting estimates is a huge pain.  People don't show up, or if they do, they never send the estimate.  It's usually a huge frustrating time sink. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

We did the same thing. :)

Our last home was a townhome. Neighbors had gotten estimates, the roofer did a great job. We - and maybe 7 others - used the same guy. It was painless, and turned out great. Selling point when we sold, too.

Good luck with the new roof!

• Like 3

I agree that it's a pain to get estimates. I work from home, which makes it sound easy to get estimates, but the bottom line is that they are interrupting my work day. Even if we push it off until DH is home, there are phone calls, emails, and faxes. We had a bunch of work during the spring, and I told DH no more after that. It was way too disruptive from estimate to completion. There were weeks on end where it was very difficult for me to get things done. Unless it's an emergency, we're not doing anything else until next summer other than than the routine. I have to have to driveway sealed in September and the septic pumped in October, but both are set up by phone with people we have an ongoing relationship with and are a 1-2 hour job. Nothing new!

Given that you and your neighbor probably have very similar issues and that she did her homework, I'd go with her contractor.

If you were in separate houses with different prior roofers, architecture, etc. that would be an entirely different situation. There I would say to get multiple estimates.

• Like 1

I need a new roof. My neighbor just got a new roof. She explained the entire process she went through. Why she liked some contractors and dislikes others. She got 5 estimates.

I'm in a townhouse, so neighbor and I have the same type of roof, although mine is bigger (my house is 50% wider). She got approval from HOA.

I'm mentally and physically tired from many things.

So I scheduled the company the neighbor used to look at my roof. Part of me thinks I'm supposed to get several more contractors out here. I'm thinking I'm just going to go with the neighbors guy without doing anymore work, unless his estimate is way outside the range we thought possible.

Has anyone done a minimal effort deciding on a huge purchase. Did it turn out ok.

I guess I should get off my butt and schedule more estimates.

Do you have an Angie's List for your area?  If so, look at it and see who is good.  If not, at least check Yelp and other reviews.  You want to see that everyone has had the same good experience with this company, that they clean up after themselves, and that there are no unreasonable complaints.  I disregard the ones that complain the guy didn't call them back, if there is only one.  If there are a bunch, then maybe he doesn't follow through. 

Ask your neighbor if you can see her 5  estimates (or if she will at least tell you what they were) and then make sure yours doesn't exceed it.   You can offer to do her a similar favor next time you hire a different trade. 

I've been hiring contractors for a long time and have done multiple houses.  Once in awhile your gut will tell you someone is fine and you go with him and it all works out.  Mostly I have had the best luck when I read multiple reviews and all were good, or if a tradesman I already trusted sent me someone else.  There are guys who are so busy they never advertise, and you want to find them and get on their list, if you can. 

We did the same thing. :)

Our last home was a townhome. Neighbors had gotten estimates, the roofer did a great job. We - and maybe 7 others - used the same guy. It was painless, and turned out great. Selling point when we sold, too.

Good luck with the new roof!

Always ask for a deal when you are doing this.  You agree to tell neighbors and ask if you can have a discount for multiple jobs in the same area. 

• Like 1

I'd get the estimates myself, because your neighbor might have just gone with the cheapest option, as opposed to the best option.  I've had a roof fail due to a faulty contractor buying "sale" shingles that had been sitting around a warehouse for years gathering dust.  The shingles failed to seal because they were too old and had been stored in too much heat.  First high sheer-force wind storm, half the roof blew off. The insurance company nearly denied the claim due to faulty installation.  They did finally let it go through, because we had just purchased the home, but it was a struggle.

You want to go with the company with a guarantee, and not the cheapest one.  We're talking about a 15 year product.

• Like 1

WE got lucky when we got our roof done.

We had a wind event that blew down our fence and did major damage to the roof. I had two estimates scheduled. But after the first was a no-show, and a third company had someone showed up at our door that was 1) Living in the neighborhood and 2) willing to work with our insurance. We hired him and got our roof and fence done within a week. No fuss. No muss. We cancelled with the others and had no problems.

Edited by vonfirmath

I'd get the estimates myself, because your neighbor might have just gone with the cheapest option, as opposed to the best option.  I've had a roof fail due to a faulty contractor buying "sale" shingles that had been sitting around a warehouse for years gathering dust.  The shingles failed to seal because they were too old and had been stored in too much heat.  First high sheer-force wind storm, half the roof blew off. The insurance company nearly denied the claim due to faulty installation.  They did finally let it go through, because we had just purchased the home, but it was a struggle.

You want to go with the company with a guarantee, and not the cheapest one.  We're talking about a 15 year product.

Pretty much this.

We just had our roof replaced Tuesday. We got three estimates. The one we went with was NOT the least expensive, but seemed to offer the best product and warranty. The company has a solid history with the BBB and an excellent rating. We felt comfortable that they won't be gone out of business next year if we have a problem.

Some shingles now come with a 50 year non prorated warranty. Of course they won't last the full 50 years, but a new roof is a long term investment.

Oh, I did read all her estimates. She didn't go with the lowest or the highest. From her own description and based on the estimates she went with the guy who did the most thorough inspection and detailed explanation.

Hire your neighbors choice and take neighbor to dinner to thank her/him for being a wonderful personal assistant. :)

• Like 2