Menu

Bread machine for frequent use, recommendations?

Xahm

So, we're looking to get a new bread machine, and we're deciding if upgrading is worth it.  We've gone through 2 machines in 5 years. Neither was destroyed, but both were significantly beat up and the pans leak. They were fairly cheap, buy in big box store kinds of machines.  We use it a lot, 4 or more times a week many weeks, but not for fancy things. Mostly bread for sandwiches or toast and pizza dough. As long as it has a dough cycle, a white bread cycle, and a wheat bread cycle we are fine. The ability to have a "bake this faster than normal" option is also great and I use that pretty often. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is this one significantly better than an Oster or whatever? 

Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme 2-Pound-Loaf Breadmaker, Black

Should I just resign myself to replacing the bread pan every so often? (I can, of course, bake bread without a machine, but the machine makes the bread a more reliable size for sandwiches and with 3 under 5, the ability to put stuff in, leave it, then take bread out is very nice.

I highly recommend a Zojirushi. I had my first one for 12 years and only replaced it because it needed a new pan. I used it 3-4 times a week so I feel I really got my money's worth out of it. The only issue I had with my new one is the coating peeling off of the paddles. I did replace those cheaply and haven't had problems with the new pair.

• Like 1

I've had a Breadman Ultimate Plus for 10+ years and it still works fine. I did have to replace one of the paddles. It does have a taller pan so may not be the best size for making sandwich bread.

Edited by melbotoast
  • Like 1

I just bought the 1-pound Zo in the last year from Amazon.  Great quality.  And the recipe booklet is useful, too.

Great to know! I like hearing that the old machines have lasted and the new ones are high quality.

• Like 1

I've had a Breadman for 15 years. I keep waiting for it to die so I can justify buying a Zo but it keeps plugging away. I had to replace the pan/paddle after about 7 years but other than that it's a workhorse.  My mom and sister bought the same machine at the same time I did and theirs are still working, though Dad doesn't use it much now that Mom has passed away. 

• Like 1

I've killed two Osters in the past two years. I used some gift cards and bought a Zojirushi as an Amazon Warehouse Deal (basically a scratch and dent discount). It's awesome. The double paddles are fantastic and it's so quiet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm happy with my Breadman, but a friend who used to make all of her bread (and dough) due to her dd's allergies used a Zojirushi. I don't recall her having to replace it or any of its parts in at least 10 years. I know quite a few people who love theirs. I think for frequent use that brand is probably your best bet.