Menu

Would you eat this? (aka It Came from the Depths!)

ILiveInFlipFlops

So I cleaned out my chest freezer today  :blushing: A PSA for anyone considering getting a deep freezer: Buy a standup version! No matter how good your intentions are, you will lose food in the depths of a chest freezer. Sigh.

Anyway... Would you eat or toss the following?

1) Pork from a pig share from 3.5 years ago. It was all wrapped in butcher paper and then put into zippered freezer bags. There's no visible ice crystallization outside the butcher paper, and there have been no extended power outages in that time. Some of it is in sausage form, some of it is in loin form, some of it is in hock form.

2) All-natural vacuum-packed pork breakfast sausage that's probably about two years old. It was sold frozen, probably half thawed in the time it was waiting for me to pick up, and then refrozen and kept solid since then. 

I already threw away any packages with visible freezer burn or broken packaging. 

What do you think? 

I happily eat pork, but not 3.5 year old pork.  I wouldn't eat sausage that had been half-thawed either, I don't think.

I do like the idea of doing a taste-test though.   Because it probably is safe, but might not taste very good.

3.5 years old... too long.  I'd toss that, sorry!

2 years old, maybe.  But I would only serve it to the healthy non-pregnant adults in the family, just in case there is a spoilage issue.

How could there be a spoilage issue in a freezer?  I'm not aware of any bacteria that can reproduce in freezing temps.

I'd eat both, assuming they tasted okay.

• Like 2

Unless you've had some power outages it should be safe to eat. However, the quality has probably declined, possibly significantly. I'd taste a small amount before serving to the family. It might be better cooked in a stew type meal instead of just cooked.

How could there be a spoilage issue in a freezer?  I'm not aware of any bacteria that can reproduce in freezing temps.

I'd eat both, assuming they tasted okay.

She said it was half thawed when she got it... That would be enough to make me worry a little.  I have a deep freeze but I don't trust it to stay steady at 0 F for 2+ years, even without known power outages.

Maybe I'm extra paranoid about the subject because I'm pregnant.