Menu

Stranger Things on Netflix--must watch.

6packofun

This is a new original series on Netflix and after 3 episodes I'm hooked!  Just suggesting that for anyone who is needing something new to watch before the fall shows start!

Here is a quick review that gives the basic plot of this mystery series without any spoilers, but I've avoided any comments so beware just in case.  What I like about this series is what this review nails--it's like a mash-up of "Amblin-era Steven Spielberg and late-'80s Stephen King".  (It's set in the 80s, done well.  TV-14.)

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/16/drop-what-youre-doing-and-watch-stranger-things-on-netflix-right-now

• Like 8

I considered it, but was worried that it would be too scary/disturbing for me. Can any highly sensitive people weigh in?

I don't think it's Stephen King scary but more like Twilight (the old TV show not the books/movies). Personally, I'm hooked. Matter of fact, just before getting on the board and seeing this thread, I had watched 3 in a row. I hate when a series comes to an end but this one makes me want to find out what happens sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Is this family friendly? 

It's rated TV-14 is it heavy on graphic violence or $ex?

This rating sounds pretty accurate. I was in and out of the room for part of the show, but we finished the series with our 8yr old son. It would be a bit too much for some kids, but we're not super strict about tv content here and ds has probably seen worse (he handles some stuff better than I do). I would say maybe better for an older child, though. There is some violence/blood/suspense for sure. Dh said s*x was not actually shown, but mentioned/implied. In short, not really family friendly but similar to a PG-13 movie?

I considered it, but was worried that it would be too scary/disturbing for me. Can any highly sensitive people weigh in?

Well, I consider myself sensitive and I close my eyes/leave the room rarely during The Walking Dead. Have you seen that show? I'm trying to think of a good way to describe it. Stranger Things is suspenseful and there's some blood. I did cringe in a couple places, but I intend to watch the next season.