Menu

Do I need to make a diploma?

Yes, my Mom had to show hers to take college classes at our local college when she went back for a cert. program. They had no interest in her B.A. diploma--they wanted high school for their box.

ETA: She was in her 40s at the time!

Edited by freesia
  • Like 2

I agree with getting one.

Every now and then I wonder where mine is.  I graduated in 1974 so I don't even know if I could get a  copy anymore.  I don't know where my transcripts are either.  Nor my college transcripts.  (Graduated college in 1991 or 1992.)   Oh yeah, no idea where the college diploma is either!  

I can assure you my kids will be instructed to keep theirs in a place they can be retrieved.  :-) 

• Like 1

I used this paper. I added an embossed seal and I put it in a padded diploma cover so it looks all official. For one child, it probably would have been cheaper to just order a diploma from somewhere, but I came out ahead by the second child and for those with several - this ends up offering significant savings and my kids diplomas look very nice.

• Like 1

How does this look? I have spent waaaay to much time overthinking it!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47187340/high%20school%20diploma%20lmno.pdf

Looks great! 

My state department of education provides example wording for approved home study programs, so you might check if yours does as well. Yours sounds fine, but our wording says something about being accepted by all state institutions. 

ETA: I used paper similar to Momto2Ns, no seal because there didn't seem to be a good place for it. 

Edited by katilac

Saying City, State school district sounds like she was in public school. Is that the goal?

I did want to state the school district where we filed the paperwork, since that's really the only other record available of her education if she loses the stuff I gave her. But, no, I don't want it to sound like she was in a public school.

Any suggestions for paper if you are printing your own? Did you decorate it with a seal or other embellishment or just print it in black and white?

I bought fancy certificate paper with an embossed border at Staples and printed in b&w with my home printer.

It looks very professional. No seal.

How does this look? I have spent waaaay to much time overthinking it!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47187340/high%20school%20diploma%20lmno.pdf

I would not include the words "home based instruction". You cannot count on the future employer etc to be familiar with homeschooling or to be aware that it is even legal.

I would recommend phrasing the diploma so that homeschooling is not evident.

• Like 3

I guess I have a hard time with making up a fake high school name, especially since I never used one on paperwork before.

I understand your qualms. However you do put your student at a disadvantage by making homeschooling apparent.

Our house actually has a name so we used that ___________ tacked on Academy and then since I still use my maiden name, I signed the administrator line.

A local homeschool graduate was unable to sign up to take her cosmetology licensing exam because her high school diploma was considered invalid due to saying "homeschool". Employers and colleges in many states are not legally required to recognize a homeschool diploma.

• Like 1

Well, I tried. My kids thought every school name I came up with was stupid/fraudulent because it made no sense to name a school after you graduated from it! So, generic homeschool diploma it will have to be.

If someone gives us trouble about it later, I guess we'll have to deal with it then.

I used this paper. I added an embossed seal and I put it in a padded diploma cover so it looks all official. For one child, it probably would have been cheaper to just order a diploma from somewhere, but I came out ahead by the second child and for those with several - this ends up offering significant savings and my kids diplomas look very nice.

Where did you get the diploma cover?