Menu

Best steak recipes?

treestarfae

Ok, I'm not a steak lover so what's a really good steak?

I buy various cuts depending on what looks good at the store at the time. You want it somewhat thick, and with good marbeling. I usually buy New York Strip or a boneless ribeye. 

• Like 3

A good cut of steak speaks for itself and does not require fancy adornments.

Salt, pepper, grill 6 minutes on each side (approx; depends on thickness and desired level of done-ness)

ETA: I see that this is redundant since  ktgrok beat me to it.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

rib eye

salt, pepper, garlic powder (if you like)

don't cook it to death

Only time I'd use a recipe for steak is if the steak is a cheap flavorless cut.  Then you really do need to do something to it (marinade it, dry rub, maybe top with some sort of salsa type stuff). 

And may lightening strike you if you put steak sauce on a good steak. 

• Like 3

A much cheaper, but still flavorful cut is flat iron or blade steak (these are two names for the same thing).  Only con to that one is there is this slight strip of gristle that runs through the center of it.  You can eat it or just cut around it.  It's not too difficult or annoying to eat, but some people don't like stuff like that.  But for the price it really has a decent taste.  A rib eye can be in the neighborhood of $12ish per pound unless on sale, but the blade steak runs in the neighborhood of 4-5 dollars per pound.

Anything with the word "for London Broil" in it is flavorless. 

Sirloin is "ok".  That one I think does need a bit more help.  Something like Montreal Steak Seasoning is good on that one. 

• Like 1

I would buy it at a butcher shop or at Costco.  NY strip or ribeye, depending on the person.  If the grocery store is the only option, look for a fancier brand perhaps.

We love flat iron too - that cut I marinate for a couple hours with lime, garlic, etc., sort of fajita-flavor.  The kids love this and I can get it at the grocery.  But, when dh asks for a real steak, he means NY strip, salt and pepper only.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

I don't care for NY Strip.  I don't get why it's considered good.  I think it's quite tough. 

And my absolute lease favorite is the filet.  What on earth?  It's like a million dollars a pound and has no flavor.  Only thing it has going for it is that it is tender, but cotton candy is tender too...

• Like 1

I don't care for NY Strip.  I don't get why it's considered good.  I think it's quite tough. 

And my absolute lease favorite is the filet.  What on earth?  It's like a million dollars a pound and has no flavor.  Only thing it has going for it is that it is tender, but cotton candy is tender too...

a REALLY good fillet is great. But anything other than top quality meat, probably aged a bit, yeah, it's not good. Ribeye has much more flavor. But I've had some really good fillets at high quality steak houses that were like butter in my mouth. 

• Like 2

a REALLY good fillet is great. But anything other than top quality meat, probably aged a bit, yeah, it's not good. Ribeye has much more flavor. But I've had some really good fillets at high quality steak houses that were like butter in my mouth. 

Maybe if they cook it with a stick of butter. 

LOL

• Like 1

Maybe if they cook it with a stick of butter. 

LOL

I think they actually do, e.g. at Ruth's Chris.  I'm not sure how exactly, but butter is involved somewhere, on the pan at the last minute or something.  ETA, apparently, according to google, melted butter on top at the end.

OP if you aren't experienced at steak-grilling, I might have the guest do the honors.  (Dh does the grilling in our house - I usually mess it up)

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

One of my area Costco stores carries prime beef. Their sirloin steaks are really good, and not insanely expensive. I let the steak sit out of the fridge for about 30 minutes. Preheat my big cast iron skillet until it's smoking hot, then season the steaks. Montreal Steak seasoning is good. Sometimes I do sea salt and pepper only. Throw the steaks in the skillet and don't turn them for 3 minutes. Flip, let it sit for 3 minutes more. Depending on how done you like the steak, you may need to finish in the oven to get it to temp. Pull it about 5 degrees lower than you want. Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.

• Like 1

Ribeye is my favorite but tri-tip is more budget friendly and a bit better IMO to most sirloin.

The cooking time depends on the thickness of the steak, as does the cooking temperature. Before you know what each level of "doneness" feels like when prodded with the edge of a spatula or utensil, use a meat thermometer to hit rare or medium rare. It can take as little as 2 minutes a side or sometimes, a fair bit longer for a thicker steak.

I have no advice for people who think a good steak is done all the way through. Just burn the damn thing. :P

If cooking in a pan on the stove top, I find using butter AND olive oil to cook most steak gives me the best results.

I season with salt, pepper and garlic powder like most mentioned. A higher intial temp followed by turning it down a touch gives me the best crust without serving it cold in the middle. High heat the whole time results in a steak that is over done if it's thin or black on the outside and still cold on the inside.

Crisp up or render off any fat on the edge by using tongs to hold that side to the heat.

Remember to let it rest, without cutting it, before you serve it so all of the juices don't run out.

I season with salt, pepper and garlic powder like most mentioned. A higher intial temp followed by turning it down a touch gives me the best crust without serving it cold in the middle. High heat the whole time results in a steak that is over done if it's thin or black on the outside and still cold on the inside.

And make sure to bring the meat to room temperature before cooking. Do not grill it straight out of the fridge.