Menu

If you make your coffee in a French press...

StaceyinLA

My measuring spoon for coffee holds 7 grams/0.25 oz of ground coffee.

I use one spoon per cup.

ETA: I just measured the volume with water: the coffee spoon has a volume of approx 15 ml, or 3 Tsp measures.

So, 3 Tsp per cup, usually a bit more since I use slightly heaped spoons.  

We steep for four minutes; DH sets the timer, I usually forget and let it sit a bit longer.

Edited by regentrude

I use the measuring lines on the press. They aren't marked, but they are there.

For French press, a slightly coarse grind is better. The water should be hot but not actually boiling.

I steep 5 minutes - because it's easy. DH may steep 4.

Okay well Stumptown says 8 T if you're basically filling the French press with water. I did 4, which I usually did before, but I only let it steep the 4 minutes and it was way watery. I did 4 and only half the water and it's still not great, but it's a little better. I'm thinking I may need a darker roast coffee. This one is good, but a light roast.

My coffee tastes have definitely changed and I'm so very annoyed.

I have a Bodum.  I have a scoop that I use which is equal to about 2 tablespoonsful for each cup. I use a coarse grind espresso roast, because I am going to add sweetener and milk.  I steep for 4 minutes with a timer, but by the time I get the coffee off the grounds (usually doing something else while I am waiting), it is probably closer to 5 minutes. 

Edited by Tap

I do about 4 tbs of a medium ground, medium roast, and steep for three minutes. But my press pot is an Impress brewer and they are fully insulated, so they retain best much better and don't need as long of a steep of a bodum.

I also tend to make iced coffee with mine so some extra acid and extra strength in the brew is helpful. I go for brighter roasts as opposed to smooth and dark.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I had to switch to measuring my coffee by weight and have gotten much more consistent results. Side perk of homeschooling is that I had a sensitive scale I could repurpose out of the "science" box.

I'm in iced coffee season, so I don't remember what I use in the French press, but in my Chemex I use 60 gms and 1.5 liters boiling water. That ratio came from Counter Culture coffee.

I do about 4 tbs of a medium ground, medium roast, and steep for three minutes. But my press pot is an Impress brewer and they are fully insulated, so they retain best much better and don't need as long of a steep of a bodum.

I also tend to make iced coffee with mine so some extra acid and extra strength in the brew is helpful. I go for brighter roasts as opposed to smooth and dark.

LOL I was reading too fast and read this as "4 pounds of a medium roast...".. LOL  Wow!  That would be some strong coffee!

Thanks! I don't know why I am having such coffee issues right now. This is normally my cold press season as well, but a week at my niece's with their Jura espresso maker and I am just wanting something that tastes as amazing as that (having no luck though).

LOL I was reading too fast and read this as "4 pounds of a medium roast...".. LOL Wow! That would be some strong coffee!

----------------> me on the floor in cardiac arrest, if that was the case! :rofl:

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thanks! I don't know why I am having such coffee issues right now. This is normally my cold press season as well, but a week at my niece's with their Jura espresso maker and I am just wanting something that tastes as amazing as that (having no luck though).

I so wish I could pack up our Jura and send it to you. It is in our garage, on the workbench, as we try to figure out what to do with it. We opted not to send it for repairs again.

I feel your pain.