Menu

Vehicle for family of 5?

MamaBearTeacher

We are 2 adults and 3 older boys. We have had a Grand Caravan for 10 years. I really hate parking it and I don't really like the way it looks. Otherwise, it was fine and the price was right. Are there any other vehicles we could get that would not be super expensive? We need 3 rows and we need generous storage room for luggage when we go on road trips. My husband wants a Sienna but I don't know that they are easier to park.

I'm considering a Honda Pilot for our next "big vehicle". I'm really happy with the Subaru Outback I got this year. It's not "big" but the back seat is actually much roomier than any other sedan-size vehicle I've had. Our 3 kids (two adult sized, one small teen) fit fine in the back seat for around town, but for a road trip/etc, I'd want another bigger vehicle, thus the consideration of the Pilot. (Our minivan is being driven away this fall to dd19's college . . . )

I adore my Odyssey but I don't know that the price would be right for you. I hate driving large vehicles and SUVs and the Odyssey doesn't feel like that at all. It feels like a car to me, and it's pretty easy to park. I look forward to downgrading eventually but it is absolutely perfect for us now.

We got a Ford Flex after our Odyssey was hit. I made all the kids come with us to try cars, and they felt that the Ford Flex (with two captain chairs in the second row - so it seats 6 total, not 7)) was by far the most comfortable. Everyone who sits in the backseat says the same thing. There is plenty of leg room for my long legged kids. I did not need a car that could haul anythig, but I need lots of 'trunk' space and the Flex has enough for a five day visit to the in-laws even with all three kids and the dog.

Recently we were upgraded by rental car companies to drive a BMW and Mercedes small SUV - they hated it. Not comfy at all. 

My only input is that I really hate my Sienna. We bought it because it was supposed to be a good reliable used car. It is, I suppose. But all of the little things wrong with belts, sliding doors, hinges, seats, trims falling off, leak in the steering column, random check engine light-up etc, I just want to be done with it. It's not acceptable for a "reliable" car to be in the shop once a month at best. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter

We are 2 adults and 3 older boys. We have had a Grand Caravan for 10 years. I really hate parking it and I don't really like the way it looks. Otherwise, it was fine and the price was right. Are there any other vehicles we could get that would not be super expensive? We need 3 rows and we need generous storage room for luggage when we go on road trips. My husband wants a Sienna but I don't know that they are easier to park.

What makes them easier to park (IMO) is the tight turning radius the Sienna has. It's still a large vehicle but it's much more maneuverable than the Cutlass we used to have, and that's primarily due to the turning radius.

We have a 2005 Sienna--no major issues over the years--and it has been good for our family of 5. My boys are both over 6' so the 3 rows are definitely handy.

I've been looking at the highlander and the pilot to replace my 16yo extended minivan.  (I have two dc at home).  my dd has a pilot (it was dsil's - he bought it just before they started dating. he hated it, so he gave it to her and bought an accord)  she hauls 'tween girls she teaches at church.  and stuff . . . she doesn't have any issues with parking - but she's very spatially aware.

the thing I've noticed, the third seat in a mid-size suv isn't as roomy as the third seat in a minivan. and less storage behind that 3rd seat.  and unless  the middle is a true bench - none are made for three on a regular basis.  the 3rd row is so close to the back, the idea of what would happen if rear-ended scared me.

2ds refuses to get in the 3rd row of a highlander, and was reluctant to get in that row of the pilot.  I saw how cramped he was and not sure I'd want to take more than two kids in it on a road trip.  (we've talked about buying the highlander, then renting a suburban if we have more than two on a roadtrip. I still like my van better, but it will need to be replaced.)

Ford Transit Vans have become the large family vehicle of choice around here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/transit

We have a transit connect and I LOVE IT. I always said I'd buy another Honda element, but it needed to seat more than 4. This car is it! It is a little ugly, but it's very roomy, old school (no fussy auto doors, etc), good mileage, flexible. The back up camera is a win. My ONLY complaint is that it's a little underpowered.

ETA- I tried the Pilot and found the visibility terrible. I would have bought the mini van before that one (though I wanted to love it!).

Edited by FriedClams

Just bought a Cadillac XT5 for me. Carts around 4 teens plus me very comfortably even though it does not have the third row we are used to. The cargo space is gigantic and can be reached from the backseat also. Love it.

I have a GMC Acadia that I really like. The middle row has captain chairs which can be moved forward to allow for more legroom in the back. The backrow is comfortable for me (5'2") but would not be for my husband (6'5"). The back seat is a split bench that can be folded down flat for more cargo room.

I know a couple people who drive a Honda Pilot and like them pretty well.

I like the Nissan Quest, to be honest. It doesn't look too minivan-ish, has a good price point, and is roomy. Trunk space is tighter than my Sienna. But if you want a smaller vehical, that is the sacrifice you have to be willing to make.

I have 4 children and recently bought a new vehicle.  I don't know that any of these will completely fit your criteria, as they don't have a ton of cargo room when the 3rd row is being used (I'm not a minivan kinda girl).  With that said, you could easily fit 3 kids in the middle row of any of these options and fold the 3rd row down when needed.  Here are the things I looked at:

-Toyota Highlander (3rd row not as roomy)

-Buick Enclave

-GMC Acadia

-Infiniti QX60-This is the one I purchased because of safety options, roominess (even 3rd row could hold an adult for a short trip) and cargo space (the most of those mentioned above).  I purchased a 2014 with 25000 miles so the price was very reasonable.

I used to drive a Suburban, so it has been an adjustment as far as roominess and space, but I was so very tired of driving (and parking) that tank!  Not to mention the gas, sheesh.

Thanks. There are a lot of vehicles mentioned that I had hardly heard of that I will look into. I went to test drive the Grand Caravan. I was a bit disappointed that the base model did not have the features our gas and the one up is much more expensive and has features I don't want. The Sienna base model had good features for around the same price. I walked into Hpnda and waited around but all the sales people were busy. They all seem to have huge headrests in the passenger seats that block the view out the back significantly.