Menu

Principles of an anti-inflammatory diet?

Greta

My daughter's dermatologist recommended an anti-inflammatory diet to help treat/prevent her chronic eczema.  She said the main thing is to go low-glycemic, as in reduce or even eliminate refined sugars and white flours.

We also are working on increasing the fish in our diet, to get those good fatty acids, and we eat grass-fed meats whenever possible for the same reason.

Anything else I should be aware of?  

My daughter's dermatologist recommended an anti-inflammatory diet to help treat/prevent her chronic eczema.  She said the main thing is to go low-glycemic, as in reduce or even eliminate refined sugars and white flours.

We also are working on increasing the fish in our diet, to get those good fatty acids, and we eat grass-fed meats whenever possible for the same reason.

Anything else I should be aware of?  

Avoid dairy, all grains (including rice and corn), eggs, nightshades/legumes, and seeds. You could do an internet search on "Autoimmune Protocol."

• Like 1

I always find it difficult to get enough fats. Bone broth from good bones and keep the fat in it and coconut milk is also helpful. You can end up end up eating a lot of avocados too.

I would start with eliminating gluten and dairy foods, see where that gets you, the eliminate further. It is not even so much about eliminating as it is ultimately about getting the gut to heal---the broth and ferments are very good for that.

Edited by momacacia
  • Like 2

Olives are good healthy fat sources. In our experience, different foods trigger reactions for different kids. Too much oatmeal for one, too much wheat/corn for another, and melon for dh and a couple kids (especially late in the season as many melons are cross-reactive with ragweed).

An elimination diet may help you figure out what your dd's specific food trigger is. The Virgin Diet (by JJ Virgin) is a strict but systematic one.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

Thank you both! Giving up eggs and legumes wouldn't be a problem for her, but grains and dairy? That's a different story. I think we'll have to take this one step at a time.

She'll feel better about it if she feels better. But it takes awhile to get that good feeling...

Thank you both! Giving up eggs and legumes wouldn't be a problem for her, but grains and dairy? That's a different story. I think we'll have to take this one step at a time.

As one who had eczema, eliminating the wheat and dairy made a profound difference. I can't stress enough how different my insides work now and how the eczema and rosacea only flares when I eat those offending foods.

Another bonus, after eliminating those items, is spending a very short time at the dentist since the development of plaque on the teeth is minimal.

It is hard to transition away from certain foods but there are so many other great ones that are so much better for the body. Keep focusing on the goal: to be eczema/psorasis-free. As you mentioned, it is one step at a time.

~melissa

Edited by Melissa in New York
  • Like 1

Turkey, stock, and organic greens.

Love,

A jaded mother

Sigh.  I'm no help as I'm a dropout (all of the times) but I do have the Heal Your Gut cookbook in shockingly good condition if you want to buy it.

:p

;)

:lol:  I am a dropout of many, many healthy diet plans.

Interesting.  Thanks for posting this.  I have one son with oral allergy syndrome, and one year we were shocked when he developed a rather violent reaction when eating carrots outdoors while camping.  Turns out it was the height of allergy season which must have triggered that unusual response from the carrot.

• Like 2

Honestly, I would pull the bandaid off quickly on this one. If you are slowly eliminating foods you will have all of the feelings of restriction without necessarily seeing any positive benefits. I would commit to something like a Whole 30 AIP. It will be the fastest way to see if this change is going to help your daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Caraway
  • Like 5

All of my boys have eczema in reaction to gluten (my youngest has the most severe reaction with eczema that ends in his skin bleeding). Dairy makes the reaction worse in one of my children. The other two can handle small amounts of dairy. My own long-term skin challenges (eczema, severe adult acne) cleared up when I identified and eliminated my food intolerances (gluten, dairy, peanuts).

We tried low glycemic when we were trying to figure all of this our. It didn't help. Full elimination works great, but partial is just an annoying duet change with little positive effect.

• Like 2

Red meat & processed meat are considered inflammatory foods. 

I think the science on the whole inflammatory diet thing is pretty shaky - BUT - I think the basic principle is actually one that has been known about for a long time. 

Eat lots of vegetables & fruits. 

eat a small bit of healthy fats 

limit processed carbs 

limit or eliminate meats, esp read meat. (Meat is inflammatory and a carcinogen)

limit or eliminated dairy 

Add fish or vegetarian sources of Essential Fatty Acids. 

it's essentially a version of the Mediterranean diet. 

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation

For more on diet based interventions for eczema: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/treating-asthma-and-eczema-with-plant-based-diets/

• Like 2

I just recently started the Paleo diet/lifestyle mainly due to inmflammation.  No dairy and no cereal grains. I do still eat eggs and so far have not found a problem.  I use almond butter (organic, paleo approved) when I want a treat (mix it with cocoa).  I have found improvement with my chronic pain.  I've lost about 4 lbs but I'm thinking that is "water weight" which would make sense.  I feel much better eating this way and although I do really miss bread (I really miss using my bosch and grinding my organic Golden 86 wheat berries...sigh) and cheese, I don't miss feeling bloated and achy and tired all the time.  I miss lentils too by the way....

For what it is worth, dd has terrible eczema.  We have done skin biopsies and met with a geneticist.  Several times over the years, we have done  elemination diets.  We would stay on them for 90-120 days then add 1 thing back hoping to find the "smoking gun" of her eczema.  We never did.  However we did do allergy testing and discovered she has an allergy to peaches, basil, lavender, malt, onions.  She improved rapidly when those were eliminated from her diet/lifestyle.  Since the her father and I are following paleo, the teens in the house are exposed to it as well.  There are more fruits, veggies, organic meats, fish, etc. in the house  and less chips, bread, cookies, etc.  I will be curious how her eczema reacts to the change...

Also, have you looked into photo therapy for eczema?  It has done wonders for dd!

• Like 1

Honestly, I would pull the bandaid off quickly on this one. If you are slowly eliminating foods you will have all of the feelings of restriction without necessarily seeing any positive benefits. I would commit to something like a Whole 30 AIP. It will be the fastest way to see if this change is going to help your daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does make sense.  Thanks!

I just recently started the Paleo diet/lifestyle mainly due to inmflammation.  No dairy and no cereal grains. I do still eat eggs and so far have not found a problem.  I use almond butter (organic, paleo approved) when I want a treat (mix it with cocoa).  I have found improvement with my chronic pain.  I've lost about 4 lbs but I'm thinking that is "water weight" which would make sense.  I feel much better eating this way and although I do really miss bread (I really miss using my bosch and grinding my organic Golden 86 wheat berries...sigh) and cheese, I don't miss feeling bloated and achy and tired all the time.  I miss lentils too by the way....

For what it is worth, dd has terrible eczema.  We have done skin biopsies and met with a geneticist.  Several times over the years, we have done  elemination diets.  We would stay on them for 90-120 days then add 1 thing back hoping to find the "smoking gun" of her eczema.  We never did.  However we did do allergy testing and discovered she has an allergy to peaches, basil, lavender, malt, onions.  She improved rapidly when those were eliminated from her diet/lifestyle.  Since the her father and I are following paleo, the teens in the house are exposed to it as well.  There are more fruits, veggies, organic meats, fish, etc. in the house  and less chips, bread, cookies, etc.  I will be curious how her eczema reacts to the change...

Also, have you looked into photo therapy for eczema?  It has done wonders for dd!

No, her doctor never mentioned phototherapy.  I'll look into it.

I did an experiment with Paleo for about six weeks.  So I know it's do-able.  I just don't want to do it.  :lol:  But the sacrifice would be worth it if it would give her some relief.  She's on two prescriptions right now and still suffering, and while the prescriptions are fine for now, I really hate to think of her being on them for years or even decades on end.

Another thing we could do . . . move!  The dry air here in New Mexico definitely seems to be part of the problem, because every time we go on vacation to a more humid place, it clears right up.  Then we come home, and it comes back.  

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

• Like 1

My eczema cleared up for a long time after moving from Colorado to WA. But eventually, things re-set.

Oh, bummer!  I've been telling her she'd probably get relief once she goes off to college, at least, if not before.  But I didn't know it would be temporary!   :sad:

No, her doctor never mentioned phototherapy.  I'll look into it.

I did an experiment with Paleo for about six weeks.  So I know it's do-able.  I just don't want to do it.   :lol:  But the sacrifice would be worth it if it would give her some relief.  She's on two prescriptions right now and still suffering, and while the prescriptions are fine for now, I really hate to think of her being on them for years or even decades on end.

Another thing we could do . . . move!  The dry air here in New Mexico definitely seems to be part of the problem, because every time we go on vacation to a more humid place, it clears right up.  Then we come home, and it comes back.  

At one point, dd had 9 different prescriptions, some oral, some topical.  And her eczema was barely controlled.  She has been doing light therapy for about 2 years now and she is down to just Allegra.  Occasionally she will use a topical steroid for flare ups but that doesn't happen that often anymore. 

• Like 1

Oh, bummer! I've been telling her she'd probably get relief once she goes off to college, at least, if not before. But I didn't know it would be temporary! :sad:

Well, seven years temporary. :0)