Menu

Do you use a laminator?

Suhaila

Do you laminate materials that get used over and over (like matching or memory games, reference cards, etc.)?

If yes, do you use an actual laminator (which seem to cost an arm and a leg), or do you have a diy trick?

If not, what do you do to protect oft-used materials? Or do you just print them new when they get worn?

Thank you!

Yes! I originally purchased a Scotch laminator when I started homeschooling and was very happy with it. After years of use it started making loud noises when laminating. I replaced it about 6 months ago with a Swingline because it was a really good price. I've been happy with it, as well. 

Depends on the item.  I print a lot of stuff for my preschoolers.  Some stuff I'll just reprint if we find we need them, but some stuff I do laminate so it'll last a while.  I use a Scotch laminator that was not terribly expensive, under $25, IIRC, and in three years, I've used about 120 pouches (100 is about $10 via Amazon Prime).

Yes, I have a Mainstay Laminator that I got for $10 at Walmart on sale.  I buy the laminating pouches when there are on sale (around $9).  It has come in very handy, but I wouldn't have invested more $$ in it.  Page protectors are cheaper. 

I'm not sure where anyone could think a laminator costs an arm and a leg. They go on sale all the time online. I think mine was $25 with a pretty large set of pouches.

I haven't used it a ton... but it has been nice to have. I feel like I got my money's worth, especially when my kids were younger. I laminated enough to make it worth it. Some of the weirder things we've done with it have included making bookmarks with pressed flowers.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses!

I had no idea that there were inexpensive laminators out there. I searched a local buy/sell site looking for a used one and they were all from teachers' supply stores and cost $1000+! I'll check out Amazon and Walmart. :)

• Like 1

Proof that I'm not crazy: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-industrial/mississauga-peel-region/laminator-27-width/1082722406?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true (I searched the whole site but only got industrial grade results. I didn't know smaller laminators existed until this thread, haha. Please ignore me now, this thread just displays my ignorance of home office supplies.)

These things need a warning label sometimes.  I found one for ~$25 with sheets.  Then it all started.  

Now my husband is scared by the amount of things that are plastic protected in our house. I have had mine for over a year and my only regret was waiting as long as I did.  I use them for chore cards, flash cards, lists, game rules, Yatzee score cards, (cause seriously, those things get used up and are hard to find!), and bathroom reading material for the little ones during potty training.  Yes. I went nuts.  And I am much happier for it.  

Honestly, I looked at my break even point. If it was something that would be used more than twice, I laminated.  Because, at my costs, it cost more to print one page three times, than to print once and laminate it.  It obviously worked to our benefit multiple times. I will not grow rich doing it, but I will save a bit of time and headache when materials are prepared and I don't have to worry about my littles destroying it first time out.  

You may want to wait until after July 4th.  Often there will be options on sale with the back to school supplies at Target (used with Cartwheel) or Walmart for a much better deal, if you can wait that long.  

• Like 3

These things need a warning label sometimes.  I found one for ~$25 with sheets.  Then it all started.  

Now my husband is scared by the amount of things that are plastic protected in our house. I have had mine for over a year and my only regret was waiting as long as I did.  I use them for chore cards, flash cards, lists, game rules, Yatzee score cards, (cause seriously, those things get used up and are hard to find!), 

http://yahtzeeonlinezone.blogspot.com/p/printable-yahtzee-score-sheet.html

I use mine more for stuff for teaching groups than for just DD. I don't know that it would be worth it for just her, but since I have it, I use it. For example, for DD's summer program, all her bags had giant, iPod shaped laminated luggage tags, which makes them easy to find :).

I love mine. With only one child it has saved me bundles, but it all depends on what you are going to do with it. I print books on a laser printer, laminate the covers and bind with proclick (unless too large then I go to OD to have them spiral bound. The cost of OD laminating 2 covers come close to the cost of a whole pack of sheets. My laminator was only about $25. 

So the amount of money I have saved just from printing my own books is huge.

Then I laminate things that I want to use for dry-erase purposes. More savings. My math manips are in top shape because they are laminated. 

Then there is the issue of convenience. I live in the country and to get to OD I have to go out of my way- 60 miles trip, and spend gas money.

Edited by Susie in MS

I don't have a laminator. I use the sheets you can buy and do it manually. I've drooled over laminators before, but never hit the buy button. My spelling phonograph cards are laminated, but that was done when Kinkos did a free Teacher Day one year. It was worth the drive and, to my knowledge, has never been offered since.

I do have a ProClick.