Menu

Tennis Fans - a mom brag

snowbeltmom

That's amazing!!! We're tennis fans here - keep us posted! Are they in the junior or senior tournament?

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.  They are competing for a spot in the Men's US Open doubles.  My boys' opponents were either Blue Chip DIV 1 college players or college tennis grads trying for the pro tour.

The Championship for the wildcard spot will be held in August at Yale.  I am just thrilled that they made it as far as they have.

• Like 1

Wowzer, that is a huge accomplishment!!  Congratulations!!

May I ask, what does their training schedule look like?  How many hours per day?  When did they start playing?  And...how do they handle training and academics?  (Asked by a new tennis mom who doesn't know what she has gotten herself into.  I have three children in lessons.  One child absolutely loves tennis, and according to the coaches, is a natural talent.  Just curious what my future possibly holds.)

Best wishes to your sons.  Please keep us posted!

• Like 1

May I ask, what does their training schedule look like?  How many hours per day?  When did they start playing?  And...how do they handle training and academics?  (Asked by a new tennis mom who doesn't know what she has gotten herself into.  I have three children in lessons.  One child absolutely loves tennis, and according to the coaches, is a natural talent.  Just curious what my future possibly holds.)

My boys started playing when they were 8 and 10.  They started out taking 2 hour clinics a few days a week.  Soon after,  they started taking a private lesson twice a week and then hitting with each other the remaining days of the week.

The time commitment increased to 20+ hours per week as the boys approached high school.  In addition to court time, they also began working out with weights.  (My older son was out of tennis for his last two years of high school due to an injury suffered due to baseball)  They also travel a couple of weekends a month during the school year to tournaments, which is very time consuming and expensive because rarely are the tournaments local.  (The summer travel schedule is more intense and expensive)

The academics have always come first. However, we homeschool year-round so the kids get some down-time each day. 

Good luck to your family!  Tennis has provided a lot of life lessons and enjoyment to my kids' lives.

• Like 2