Menu

My, how I've grown!

Carrie12345

I recently turned 39 years old.  I've never been all that great at keeping routine medical check ups, but I've still managed to have my height measured what seems like a million times in my life.  Somewhere around 13/14, I hit 5'8" and that's where I stayed.  That is, until I started getting a few 5'7.5"s about 5 or 6 years ago.  We're talking a 25 year history across school nurses, pediatric offices, general practitioner offices, obgyn/mw offices, hospitals, urgent cares, even the orthopedist.

So, I went for a regular check up yesterday in a new office.  They measured me at 5'9", without shoes.  I told the nurse there was simply no way that could be true. She looked concerned and brought me to a different scale/measurer.  5'9".

This can't possibly be right, can it???

We have height marks on our laundry room door, including mine so we can see as the kids pass me.  I'm actually afraid to take a tape measure to it and check, because it is seriously disturbing to contemplate the thought that I could be a different height than I've spent the past 25 years "being".  Why not tell me my eyes aren't really brown, or that I have a different number of toes than I thought I did!  (Though it would change my BMI.  ;) )

So, tell me this is nuts.  Nobody grows at nearly 40!

• Like 1

Idk. I was 5'3 well into adulthood. I'm 5'4 now.

I don't know when it happened but it never occurred to me to be concerned or think much of it. All kinds of stuff changes--foot size, bra size, hair colour and texture, even eye colour.

• Like 1

I also measure a cm more now than I have always been recorded as. I noticed the change a few years ago, so early 40s. I was just thinking about it today when I put my height into a calculator. It feels odd to use the 'new' height after 20+ years of the other.