Menu

Do you work from home? I would like some inspiration as I consider how to do this.

Our oldest graduated high school this year, and I'll only have two in school next year- 11th and 8th grades.  It would be wonderful to have a job that I could do from home as our children graduate high school and start college.  I'm just not sure what kinds of jobs would allow me to do this.  My undergraduate degree was in psychology and my graduate degree was in elementary education, but my teaching certificate is LONG expired.  

I am not desiring full-time employment.  I would just like to help boost family finances. I still want to be available to my boys while they are homeschooling.

I almost hate asking about this.  It sounds sort of unrealistic to me.  

I would consider actually leaving the house for certain part-time work.  Certainly tutoring would be an option.  Not sure how to go about getting that started.  I do not want to work retail or anything like that.  I need work to be flexible as I would consider being a mom and homeschooler the priority.

Any ideas?

I've worked from home off and on for the past 10 years. One good resource for legitimate work from home jobs is Work Place Like Home. There are forums for different companies people work with, one with scams to watch out for, and job leads.

There are very flexible jobs. Even answering phones, depending on the company you work with, allows you to choose the hours you want to work. With Pearson, I don't think it's grading papers, it's scoring tests (the program I know about). I haven't worked with them doing it, but have done it with ETS for over 7 years. I've also done tutoring, both online and out of the home. This upcoming fall, I'll be teaching online and scoring tests with ETS.

Oh, another good resource of at-home jobs is Rat Race Rebellion. Both sites have job lists that have been verified, and both sites are free. On Facebook, there is Real Jobs From Home. That group started out as an email list and have been around for years as well.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I don't work from home, but am a merchandiser for TNG, I have to do certain things, certain days, but choose my own hours. You can search Craigslist for merchandiser & see if anything local pops up. I stock books at a large store & magazines at 3 drug stores. I make about $200-$400/month depending how many hours I work.

I tutor online through Tutor.com. The hourly rate is significantly lower than what you would make going it on your own. In my best months, I make only a few hundred dollars. However, it's very flexible and you work from home.

You need to have a bachelor's degree, and then you just take the online exams for the subjects you are interested in tutoring. If you pass, and they happen to be in need of tutors for that subject, you proceed to the background check and a mock session (during which an employee pretends to be a student). If both of those check out, you're hired.

Once you are on the payroll, you have a chance once a week to schedule yourself for whatever hours are available when you log on. During the academic year, you are allowed to schedule usually seven or eight hours during the first pass, then more from whatever is still unclaimed on Saturday. During the summers, the fewer hours are available. At the moment, we're limited to five hours a week during that first pass. 

So, it's not anything you coud live on, but it was a good first step for me when my kids were graduating and putting me out of the homeschooling business. It gave me recent work experience I could put on my resume when I ventured out a year later to look for a "regular" part-time job.

• Like 1

Ladies, thank you for the inspiration. Honestly, I just found out there were responses to my post. Earlier today I knew when it moved to the second page without responses. I figured it was a silly thing to ask. I wasnt going to bump it back up.Thanks for sharing about your at-home jobs. I'm going to look into the Web pages mentioned.

One other thing that has crossed my mind... (This will sound so obvious, I know). I do watch for sales for things we normally buy, but I wonder what I could do (like couponing) to save money that would amount to an outside part-time income. Oh, it would require a lot more than just couponing, but the idea of finding significant ways to save that would feel like having more income.

Thoughts?

Ladies, thank you for the inspiration. Honestly, I just found out there were responses to my post. Earlier today I knew when it moved to the second page without responses. I figured it was a silly thing to ask. I wasnt going to bump it back up.Thanks for sharing about your at-home jobs. I'm going to look into the Web pages mentioned.

One other thing that has crossed my mind... (This will sound so obvious, I know). I do watch for sales for things we normally buy, but I wonder what I could do (like couponing) to save money that would amount to an outside part-time income. Oh, it would require a lot more than just couponing, but the idea of finding significant ways to save that would feel like having more income.

Thoughts?

Late to the thread, but I make full-time income from home. More like what a beginning teacher would make, but it helps immensely. I have multiple things going, but the best "gig" for me has been teaching classes online. It came be very, very hard to break into that field though now that everybody wants to do that. I began in online college education a decade ago, when it was much more open than it is now. In other words, it was a process.

Anyway, I found that shopping the sales and couponing really didn't net what I can make working. I'm still very much a careful shopper though, and I know that I spend far, far less on groceries than most. I don't see that working and being frugal are mutually exclusive. Doing both can be a help.

• Like 1

Where do you find information for this?  I looked at Pearson onine, but I couldn't find any information.  I would love to supplement my husband's income too.

thanks,

Suzanne

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/careers.html

I have looked into Pearson and tons of other things, but with having 5 kids in the last 9 years I haven't had time to start anything.   But it is on my radar for the future.  

There are so many things you could do to work from home.

How about selling on Ebay?

http://for-business.ebay.com/when-selling-ebay-delivers-bundle-joy-kymberlee%E2%80%99s-story-0

This is her store.

http://stores.ebay.com/macnash2009

This was another blog about selling on Ebay

http://www.shethrifts.com/

This is a great blog with tons of ideas

http://www.budgetsaresexy.com/ways-to-make-money/

Some more ideas

http://hip2save.com/2016/01/07/work-at-home-other-work-opportunities-4/

The ideas of teaching and tutoring are always there.  With kids your age I am sure you could work out of the house part time too.  

But teaching and tutoring you could do from home to.

Dog walking

Pet sitting

Errand Running

house sitting

paper route

day care

Once you start seeing ideas, you will see that there are so many ways to make money from home.  

Good Luck

I teach at a university model school for homeschool students. From there I have built a tutoring business which continues into the summer months. I also run a cotillion business - teaching kids manners, interview skills, and formal dance skills (we hire someone to do this). BUT with those  jobs, I was able to grow them because the market was in such demand. Depending on where you live, you could easily start teaching classes. Call your local art center and see if they would like to add some homeschool classes. You do not need to teach art - writing, literature, and history can lend themselves to art and many art centers are under the umbrella of art and culture. My dh is starting his own business so we have lived off my income this past year. However, that would not have been possible when I started doing this 4 years ago. It takes time to build a business. (I do have my teaching degree.) Good luck. I really think there are so many great possiblities for someone who can think 'outside' the box. 

Summer camps - another great way to add to your income. I have a friend who works every morning in the summer for the county camp program. Her own kids are just waking up when she gets home at 1:00. She makes enough money to pay for vacation and Christmas every year. 

Edited by lmrich
  • Like 1