Menu

Exercuses: what sidetracks your exercise? Tips for overcoming exercuses?

Laurie4b

It's easy to find excuses not to do something that requires effort. We certainly don't need another thread for that. However, how many threads do moms and dads start here to complain about their children who don't feel like working hard at math, writing, etc., etc., etc. We don't want to hear the whining, we won't tolerate anything but all out effort on our kids' part.  So when the shoe is on the other foot, and we need to get active so we will be healthy and live long enough to be around for our grandchildren, we're all sympathetic with each other about how hot the weather is, or cold, or the air is filled with bugs, or we might be slightly uncomfortable, or we don't have the time or energy. Wow. I don't know what to say about that. Just don't whine about your kids whining. Join right in and say, "yup, it's hard to do the right thing. Just do it anyway, and we can whine together." 

I actually like working out though and rarely have to talk myself into it.

this is me IF I have been consistent with working out prior. If not, I know I will be really sore, and sometimes that makes me less than motivated to jump back in.  With Fitness Blender I have been really consistent so I have not had that fear of soreness looming over me.  =)  I feel like I need exercise for mental health as well--it helps me deal with stress and stabilize my mood.  Like Semisweet I have not lost weight really but I am really toned now. I just need to change my snacking habits (too many chocolate chips!). 

• Like 3

That's not how I'm reading this thread at all...

I agree. I read this thread as- "What challenges do you face to keep active and how do you overcome them?" I don't think it is a bad thing to be honest that being active with families is not always the easiest thing. 

• Like 3

this is me IF I have been consistent with working out prior. If not, I know I will be really sore, and sometimes that makes me less than motivated to jump back in. 

YES! It is so much harder starting back! I had a thyroid crash last fall and didn't do anything but walking for about 3 months. When I started back doing more intense stuff I was so sore for so long and I had lost so much strength it was depressing. When I had another little crash in March I refused to stop working out- even when I couldn't do near as much as I wanted- it is so much easier to keep with it then to have to start over!

So, I really feel for those people starting out it is harder. You have to work through your body rebelling and building the habit at the same time. That is 100% while I vote to do activities you at least somewhat enjoy it is very hard to keep with something long term when you hate it and it makes you feel miserable. We need some reward- rather it is an endorphin rush after, thrill from doing something exciting, the nice view from biking/hiking etc outside, or that feeling of being a bad ass from the awesome strength/stamina/flexibility/coordination we are building.

• Like 2

I agree. I read this thread as- "What challenges do you face to keep active and how do you overcome them?" 

Exactly!  :tongue_smilie:

I think one of the most helpful things we can do is figure out how we talk ourselves out of doing exercise. It's usually a kind of mindless self-talk, but if we make ourselves conscious of the "exercuses,"  we are more likely to be able to overcome the obstacles and accomplish the exercise we think is best for our health. 

• Like 3

Transitioning from school year routine to summer routine - or any disruption to routine. Also, in summer when every week has a different routine!!

YES!!! I like to have some sort of a routine! When I added back in daily walks I had to push other stuff to the side because any time you add something in it takes WAY longer until you get used to it. Since we just back from vacation we aren't even in our summer routine yet, but I plan most of my more intense activity in the evenings so school doesn't effect that too much. It will be when we add school back in that our walks will be hard to keep with.

• Like 2

I know, yet another excuse, but this is truly a problem for me.  I would like to take more walks, but I would prefer not to walk alone.  However, when my husband walks with me, he walks so much faster than I can.  I'd have to run to keep up with his regular pace.  He is quite a bit taller so that is probably part of it.  This then puts me in a very bad mood.  So now I avoid taking walks with him at all. 

This isn't an excuse, it is a reason.  I prefer to walk alone because my husband walks too fast - and I am a fast walker!  But his legs are much longer and his stride is huge.  So, I'm torn.  I enjoy spending time with him - walking would be a good time to talk - but I don't like it.  He tries to slow down but I know it is tiring to walk at an unnatural pace, fast or slow.

I walk in the mornings before he is awake.  My daughter works 2-3 days a week at a cafe 1/2 a mile from home, so I leave when she does (about 6am), walk almost to her job (she prefers that I turn off before he coworkers can see me walking her to work) and then take a longer route back home.  If I can start my day with a 1.5 mile walk, I feel good for the rest of the day and am more likely to take a second or even third walk later.

BTW she is not embarrassed if I come in for a coffee later in the day.  Just prefers not to be seen being walked to work. Just wanted to be clear for some reason.  :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

This isn't an excuse, it is a reason.  I prefer to walk alone because my husband walks too fast - and I am a fast walker!  But his legs are much longer and his stride is huge.  So, I'm torn.  I enjoy spending time with him - walking would be a good time to talk - but I don't like it.  He tries to slow down but I know it is tiring to walk at an unnatural pace, fast or slow.

Weighted pack. Just saying. With a backpack, you can even out a lot of difference in stride and stamina.

running and ducking...

• Like 1

I walk in the mornings before he is awake.  My daughter works 2-3 days a week at a cafe 1/2 a mile from home, so I leave when she does (about 6am), walk almost to her job (she prefers that I turn off before he coworkers can see me walking her to work) and then take a longer route back home.  If I can start my day with a 1.5 mile walk, I feel good for the rest of the day and am more likely to take a second or even third walk later.

BTW she is not embarrassed if I come in for a coffee later in the day.  Just prefers not to be seen being walked to work. Just wanted to be clear for some reason.  :-)

Yeah I don't want to walk by myself, and I definitely would not do it early in the morning.

I guess I just need to freaking join a gym.  Uck...but I don't wanna.  So so boring...

Yeah I don't want to walk by myself, and I definitely would not do it early in the morning.

I guess I just need to freaking join a gym.  Uck...but I don't wanna.  So so boring...

I agree: gyms are boring. I go to one for the weight lifting equipment I can't buy and b/c mine has a pool. During icky weather (too hot/too cold, rainy), I do cardio there. 

Things that make cardio on a machine indoors a bit less boring for me: 

• There are holders for a book. Better on the recumbent machines (!) and not optimal, but if it's longer, moderate cardio, it can work. 
  • Switch machines: if I have to do an hour on machines, I usually do 15 min on 4 different machines so that I don't scream 
  • Do HIIT: switching between high intensity and recovery keeps me busy as does fiddling with the controls, keeping track of the numbers, etc. Plus HIIT doesn't take that long. 
  • There are one or two group classes offered that I am okay with. Don't love any, but less boring than a machine. 

sure, with back pain, not good.

he complains about his back so I wouldn't ask him to do that

doubt it would matter much...he just walks fast

Oh trust me,  you can slow down a fast walker to a crawl if you make them carry the heavy gear. Evil grin.

• Like 3

My favorite excuse is that I don't want to shower twice, lol.

I prefer to work out in the gym, but I won't go with greasy hair or prickly armpits.  This could reasonably be fixed by showering at night, but then there'd still be two showers in a day!

(FWIW, I love being IN the shower.  I hate being damp afterward!)

I keep telling myself I'm going to take up jogging in the mornings so nobody has to see me or be around me, but it hasn't happened yet.  :lol:

• Like 3

sure, with back pain, not good.

Oh trust me,  you can slow down a fast walker to a crawl if you make them carry the heavy gear. Evil grin.

We just got back from hiking carrying kids and packs, definitely slowed us down. 

• Like 2

I prefer to work out in the gym, but I won't go with greasy hair or prickly armpits.  

The advantage to going all messy & unshaven is that nobody will talk to you. For an introvert, this is a great big bonus.  

I've been going around with unshaved legs and pits for weeks because I keep forgetting to stick a new razor in my shower. Turns out I really don't care that much. And my Zumba people love me anyway  :D

• Like 1

The advantage to going all messy & unshaven is that nobody will talk to you. For an introvert, this is a great big bonus.  

I've been going around with unshaved legs and pits for weeks because I keep forgetting to stick a new razor in my shower. Turns out I really don't care that much. And my Zumba people love me anyway  :D

HA, that is funny! My outside exercise classes are with the instructor right there making physical adjustments. I always take a shower right before. I sweat enough as it is and with my armpits, cr*tch and every other body part rubbing directly on the Silk I feel highly paranoid about how I smell.

Safety.

I want to get out to walk. Then I start thinking how isolated my neighborhood is or how secluded parts of the town walking trail are. My mind starts wandering to all the things that can go wrong. Bad guys/dogs/ injury and too far to get home/ kids need me but I am miles away.

Sounds pretty neurotic but I have talked myself out of walks many days. Sometimes even once I am out on the trail :(

Not neurotic. I carry pepper spray most of the time and never run after the sun goes down (or until it comes up), even though I honestly prefer to run at night. My neighborhood is just a tad sketchy after hours and I had a run in with an unleashed pit bull and his idiot/dangerous owner the last time I stayed out too late (I think I stumbled upon a drug deal...the truck was idling with lights on and there were multiple dogs wandering around.). I learned my lesson.

Edit: fixed the quote

Edited by BooksandBoys