Menu

Please help me with my clothes washer!!!

Janeway

I have a Samsung clothes washer. it is failing in the spin cycle. I think we bought it in 2013 but the date on the sticker says manufactured in 2012. So, I am thinking we bought it in 2013 and that is just when it was made. Anyway, we already had Samsung out once to repair. That was something with the motor in November, so just a few months ago. Now, the spin cycle is not really working. It keeps claiming to be seriously out of balance and then giving an error code. Very frustrated!

We called Samsung and even though it is under warranty still, they claim that only covers parts now and we have to pay for labor. We even have to pay for labor to diagnose it so we won't know what the repairs will be until we pay. 

We have a bigger sized family, but we do live in the south where we wear shorts a lot. My husband does not go to work so he also wears shorts a lot. So I am thinking maybe we have run it more than the average person, but a regular sized family in the north likely has a lot of laundry in the winter with the snow and wet and all.

What should I do? Would you pay them to repair? Or would you say this is enough, this machine is not reliable, and rid of it? Part of me feels like we should repair it. But I also know we run the machine every day so maybe it is reaching the end anyway due to age?

Also...what brands do you all recommend if you recommend replacing? And the repair should run under $200 they (the repair place) told us.

• Like 1

My dh and I would look at it and see if we could figure out how to repair it ourselves, but only up to $100 in parts.  If we couldn't, I'd scrap it and start over.  No way would I pay a repairman for a machine that has shown itself to be crap.

Disclaimer: My wife replaced our nearly 21 year old Whirlpool washing machine, with a large Samsung washing machine, last November. She loves it. It is her new "best friend".  Both machines have been used frequently.   I think USD $200 for a repair would be fine, IF there is a specific guarantee about how long the repair is warranted. I would not expect any repair person/company to warranty something they do not fix and/or replace, but I would expect a warranty, possibly 90 days, on the work that they do and that they will restore your washing machine to excellent working condition, with that repair.   All the TV sets in our house are Samsungs and the *BEST* TV repair person I have ever seen in my life was sent to our house by Samsung Colombia, about 10 years ago.  Two days ago, my wife bought a Samsung Microwave Oven and I have a Samsung Android phone and our experience has been that their products are not perfect, but probably well above average. In general, I think before having something repaired, one needs to look at the price of a new (comparable) machine and then put a maximum of approximately 25 or 30% on what would be spent on a repair.  Above that, I'd rather go with something Brand New with a Factory Warranty.  GL with your washing machine!    

That is a dud machine. I bought a cheap top loader Magic Chef that lasted 21 years without a single repair. I would've bought another but they no longer exist, so I bought a Speed Queen toploader. Having lived life with a trouble-free machine I just wasn't willing to mix electronics and water if I could avoid it. I've run two loads a day for 5 years and never had a problem with the Speed Queen

• Like 1

That is a dud machine. I bought a cheap top loader Magic Chef that lasted 21 years without a single repair. I would've bought another but they no longer exist, so I bought a Speed Queen toploader. Having lived life with a trouble-free machine I just wasn't willing to mix electronics and water if I could avoid it. I've run two loads a day for 5 years and never had a problem with the Speed Queen

I miss my Magic Chef SO much!  Did yours have the lint filter in the top?  I miss that so much, it's stupid.  Now washers don't have lint filters so that if you hang your clothes to dry you have spend time delinting them. 

I bought a Speed Queen after having it mentioned here as a suggestion. I checked it out and wish I had heard of them years ago. I love it. It's so nice having a low maintenance washer again. And the fast cycles are hard to beat too. :)

I agree that sounds like a dud machine. I would only repair of I could do so myself, and the price for thr parts needed were negligible.

I've had the same cheapy base-model washer for 9 years now, easily running 2 loads most days (yep, us frigid northerners have a lot of laundry in the winter). It's never broken.

Editing to add- top loaders seem a lot more reliable than front loaders. I've had numerous friends make the switch to the more eco friendly front load machines...and at least half have had issues.

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 1

If you are handy and want to give it a try, you can see if you can buy a repair manual on repairclinic.com

Also, double-check that the machine is level.

Google the machine name and model - if it's a known lemon it may not be worth repairing just to have it break down again.

• Like 1

NOOOO!!! Don't tell me this! We just bought a front loader Samusung washer and dryer set last year when we moved!

I've never had any problems with mine. My first set (almost 20 years old) still running very well, does not stink. My MIL bought 2 different top loaders in the space of 5 years and has had nothing but problems. Her third one is a front load, no issues for the last 5 years.

I have an Italian washer (front loading) also no issues. 2-4 loads a day. Yes. There are great stories with front loaders. I do not miss having to nearly dive into a machine to get my wet clothes out!

If you open up the utility panel in the back you should find the diagnostic guide. It should tell you how to run a diagnostic check on all the cycles and walk you through part replacement. I've changed out the control board on ours twice, and the door latch assembly once (10 year old Frigidaire).

Edited by Amy in NH