Menu

Favorite Lines Heard at Colleges

creekland

This is open to all college "lines" and whatever is favorite to you.  It could be funny, insightful, or whatever.  I think it could be quite an interesting thread.   :coolgleamA:

My current all-time favorite came at URochester during a recent neuroscience diploma ceremony.  A research professor was praising a current graduate who worked in his lab, but was also a collegiate swimmer:

"X encouraged us to attend one of her swim meets.  It was very enlightening.  We found out the University has a gym."   :lol:

• Like 20

"Do not change your kid's bedroom.  They remember how it was.  If you change it, they will feel unwelcome when they get home."

Ah, this rings true for me.  I returned home from college to find out my bedroom became the cat's bedroom, lol!  

"We beat Michigan in 2007." It's a point of great pride at a regional university ds toured! I love that now their attitude towards football is "Anything is possible." They have a great team spirit and camaraderie. 

• Like 3

When asked if a Math class would fill up and close, a professor responded:

Usually, I teach this class in a 300 seat lecture hall, but if that were to fill up, there's a 600 seat room in the neighboring building.  And if more students than that sign up, well, I hear they don't use the football stadium much on weekdays...

• Like 3

In an address to prospectives....'We recognize the departments are operating as silos, and are trying to do more interdisciplinary....'. The music practice rooms required getting thru 3 locks and werent open to nonmajors, we were shown doors everywhere except one computer station room with glass wimdows, and none of the facilities were open to nonmajors. We took that as a sign that the people were territorial, little collaboration was encouraged and no one was going to be bringing a friemd over to their lab to show them cool stuff they were working on..

Yikes! Do you need a compartmentalized security clearance to enter a classroom?

"Do not change your kid's bedroom.  They remember how it was.  If you change it, they will feel unwelcome when they get home."

Huh, guess this depends on expectations. When I left home, I left seven younger siblings behind. I had no expectation that my room would be left unused and untouched.

My family also moved frequently, before and after I went to college. Home was where the family was, and where I slept didn't matter.

• Like 6

My brother's best friend came home to find his room was a home office and he could sleep on the couch. It was a strong message.

My brother does that to all his adult children. At the end of the summer following their high school graduations, their rooms are taken over for other things. They have a five bedroom house and not a guest bedroom in it. One is her art room. Another is a recording studio because my brother likes to do sound mixing. Another is his work office. The 4th is storage now. And when their youngest graduates in three years, they plan on turning that room into an upstairs laundry room. They have four adult children and one grand child and the only place for a visitor to sleep is the couch or living room floor. They complain all the time that their adult children - most of whom do not live locally - never come to visit. Well, Duh! The last time their oldest and his wife came home, they stayed with us because we have a guest room. DD is a married woman with a baby and doesn't need us to maintain her bedroom anymore as her specific space so we keep a small dresser, double bed, bookcase, and nightstand in there with a small desk. The boys still have their bedrooms, and while one or two may become crafting/sewing/storage after they graduate college, we will always - so long as we are in this house - maintain a guest room or two. I can understand if one has a tiny house that something might need to give, but I still would not be doing that while I had a child in college coming home on breaks and long weekends. I would not want my kids to feel unwelcome, nor fail to give them the space they need as young adults. I guess every family is different. My brother is jealous of how good our relationship is with dd and with college boy while his adult kids are pretty distant to him. I blame that on the "we can't get you out of here fast enough, hit the couch or don't come back" message.

It isn't quite as bad as some though. There are kids in this community whose parents truly believe they should not have to provide anything to an 18 year old, and the birthday gift is everything packed up and waiting on the porch even if they haven't graduated high school yet. It is a real problem here, and we've had more than one student "couch surf" (as Nan and I have put it over the years) for a few weeks while trying to finish school. Dh and I were not raised like that and have a hard time wrapping our heads around the mentality.

• Like 7

Yikes! Do you need a compartmentalized security clearance to enter a classroom?

Not a classroom. But MTU used to have a comp sci lab that only upper classmen could use. The students had to get approval, and then were issued a key to the facilities. When our eldest ds was considering a major in comp sci engineering, since he was already Java certified and was prepared to test out of C#, he was offered use of the lab as a freshman if he chose to attend. The comp sci professor took ds on a tour of the facility, but we were left in a classroom, LOL.

I would imagine that the satellite MTU is building for NASA is kept under lock and key, and likely the student body and faculty working on the project had to have security clearance. In this day and age, research and such for the government taking place on many college campuses, I would not be shocked by students being required to get certain levels of clearance. But I wouldn't expect it for lecture halls, just for specific labs and research facilities.

• Like 2

My family also moved frequently, before and after I went to college. Home was where the family was, and where I slept didn't matter.

This was true in my case also; I attended fifteen schools from kindergarten through twelfth grades in three different countries.  My senior year, I lived with a different family as my parents moved three times that year.  I remember talking about "going home" several times during senior year and throughout college and graduate school when I'd never actually been to that location.  I can appreciate the sentiment "home is where the heart is." 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3