Menu

This reminds me of an earlier thread about some guy who hit an intruder on the head.

In this case I simply say "good riddance." It seems that when one's daughter is involved age is not an issue.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/17576601/detail.html

Operative paragraphs:

A man who police said broke into a home with the intention of sexually assault a 17-year-old girl in her bedroom died early Sunday morning after a struggle with the girl's father.

David Meyers, 52, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after officers arrived following a report of a home invasion in the 3500 block of West 79th Street at about 3:20 a.m.

Officers said they found Robert McNally, 64, on the floor with his arm around the neck of Meyers, struggling to hold him down.

empty.gif

This reminds me of an earlier thread about some guy who hit an intruder on the head.

In this case I simply say "good riddance." It seems that when one's daughter is involved age is not an issue.

Operative paragraphs:

A man who police said broke into a home with the intention of sexually assault a 17-year-old girl in her bedroom died early Sunday morning after a struggle with the girl's father.

David Meyers, 52, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after officers arrived following a report of a home invasion in the 3500 block of West 79th Street at about 3:20 a.m.

Officers said they found Robert McNally, 64, on the floor with his arm around the neck of Meyers, struggling to hold him down.

empty.gif

In Bellflower, California a few months ago a 65 yr old man was charged for MURDER because he shot a 14yr old boy who was breaking into his garage.

Who says he is guilty?

Not I and I'll probably get stoned for that. But.. the background of the story is this:

* Mans garage was broken into THREE times in 6 months. Cops said no one to charge, just get a better lock. Cops said not worth persueing really. Man got better lock, & alarm. Lock broken; small alarm smashed one weekend couple was not home.

*14 yr old boy was with 25yr old uncle. Dad in jail, mom at home.

* It was 2:30 AM.

* 14 yr old boy, although not known at the time was on probabtion & had been kicked out of local high school.

Now, knowing those facts do you still think that man is guilt or was he protecting his property?

I don't know the laws in California, but in my state if you kill someone breaking in who was not actually threatening you or your family, you'll go to jail, especially if it was not the living area of your house. If they're inside your house and there's evidence that they were going to hurt you, then the law does indeed allow to do what you need to do to save yourself or someone else.

I used to volunteer with the prison Bible school ministry in yet another state, and our best Bible student was a grandma who shot a guy who was breaking down the front door of her house. Apparently if she had waited until he got in or nearly in, she wouldn't have gone to prison.

Your mileage may vary...

I don't know the laws in California, but in my state if you kill someone breaking in who was not actually threatening you or your family, you'll go to jail, especially if it was not the living area of your house. If they're inside your house and there's evidence that they were going to hurt you, then the law does indeed allow to do what you need to do to save yourself or someone else.

I used to volunteer with the prison Bible school ministry in yet another state, and our best Bible student was a grandma who shot a guy who was breaking down the front door of her house. Apparently if she had waited until he got in or nearly in, she wouldn't have gone to prison.

Your mileage may vary...

yup.

the running joke in TX is to shoot them and drag them in the door ;)

and the magic words are always "I was in fear for my life and my family's life."

if the guy is dead, there's no rebuttal, right?!

At what point in its post-embryonic development does it become acceptable to kill a human being "outside" of ones home and then drag that person inside, while covering up the evidence of the true nature of the crime, and lying to further cover the crime, and then not call that murder?

I'm deeply confused by the morality (surely the wrong word) being advanced in this thread.

Never thought I'd be reading tips on how to kill people (and successfully get away with it) here on the WTM forums.

But I have to say it makes me sick!

Bill

I'm deeply confused by the morality (surely the wrong word) being advanced in this thread. Never thought I'd be reading tips on how to kill people (and successfully get away with it) here on the WTM forums. But I have to say it makes me sick!

Pathetic, isn't it?

I want to believe it's a knee jerk reaction to the idea of a disturbed man breaking into somone's home to harm a young woman but I am disconcerted by many posters' apparent sheer delight in the idea of murdering someone and then covering key points of the crime up.

Jen

At what point in its post-embryonic development does it become acceptable to kill a human being "outside" of ones home and then drag that person inside, while covering up the evidence of the true nature of the crime, and lying to further cover the crime, and then not call that murder?

I'm deeply confused by the morality (surely the wrong word) being advanced in this thread.

Never thought I'd be reading tips on how to kill people (and successfully get away with it) here on the WTM forums.

Bill

Absolutely make sure you drag em in after you shoot them. And make sure the blood is all inside.

Seriously people, it's a joke! And it's meant to poke fun at (not the killing of "innocent" intruders or would-be attackers) but the insane gun law that doesn't allow Texans (or whatever state you live in that also has this law) to protect themselves. No one that I've ever heard of has ever really dragged a dead body into their home. As Remudamom so aptly pointed out with such wit, the blood would be on the outside of the house. Goodness, lighten up!

Seriously people, it's a joke! And it's meant to poke fun at (not the killing of "innocent" intruders or would-be attackers) but the insane gun law that doesn't allow Texans (or whatever state you live in that also has this law) to protect themselves. No one that I've ever heard of has ever really dragged a dead body into their home. As Remudamom so aptly pointed out with such wit, the blood would be on the outside of the house. Goodness, lighten up!

That's how I read this whole thread as well.

It seems a bit excessive to kill the boy, but I wasn't there. Maybe it felt like it was necessary. Maybe he was afraid the boy would attack him? I can understand that.

I suspect that at 2:30 in the morning when you see two shapes in your garage and possibly fear for your life you do not have time to ask for an ID showing age.

Yes there should be murder charges, but they should be against the 25 year old whose actions resulted in a 14 year old being shot.

Regarding the tirade against "tips on how to kill," it was a joke... lighten up.

Edited by pqr

Bill

They're joking around. But, if a person comes at any of my children and I know that they are intending to r*pe or assault them, I will defend my children at all cost. I think you probably would too.

:iagree:

Bill

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if an embryo attempted to break into the home of these ladies that embryo would be dealt the same hand.

It is interesting to me to think of the responses here while pondering the question of "life"....maybe some of the same logic that says it is okay to kill death row criminals, but not the unborn, I suppose.

Grace is also another concept I am pondering here as well......confusing...

e

Edited by emeraldjoy
spelling

I've just been reading over this thread and am amused that a simple little joke (off color or not) could be taken to really advocate someone's opinion on life. It was a joke! Unfortunately, it will probably be used as weapon to debate the "life" issue. And although I don't think this thread was started to debate life, I think that there is a difference in innocence and guilt. For instance, if someone means harm to you, you have a right to defend yourself. Unfortunately that could mean bodily injury or death to the attacker, but better them than you. Right? However, an embryo hasn't had a chance yet to defile itself with acts of intrusion and such. I think it is only human nature to want to protect the innocent.

there is a difference in innocence and guilt. For instance, if someone means harm to you, you have a right to defend yourself. Unfortunately that could mean bodily injury or death to the attacker, but better them than you.

Cricket,

Well put, but I do not think of it so much as a "right" to defend yourself (which of course it is) so much as an obligation. The pond scum out there, and there is a lot of it, has been taught that people will not defend themselves. We are constantly told to hand over our wallets, retreat to our bathrooms, call 911 and stick our heads in the sand awaiting rescue.

Men like that mentioned in the article do not do that and thereby send a message, a good message.

I may be being heartless here, but quite honestly I can not think of a better result (once the assault had started). Unless the horror movies are correct said sexual predator will never assault another girl. The state also is saved the costs of a trial. We are spared some bleeding heart lawyer telling us that it really was not his fault and blaming it all on society and the fact that his puppy was run over by a car. There is also one less prison bed required at a cost of $100 a day of taxpayers money. As I said once the attack had started (and it is a tragedy that it ever did) the end result was pretty good.

I just sincerely hope the girl recovers quickly from the emotional trauma and that the father does not feel too much guilt.

It is interesting to me to think of the responses here while pondering the question of "life"....maybe some of the same logic that says it is okay to kill death row criminals, but not the unborn, I suppose.

Grace is also another concept I am pondering here as well......confusing...

e

Tell me how an inmate on death row for murder is the same as an innocent infant? The inmate on death row is there for a REASON. Choices made put him there. An infant in the womb, not his choice. So yes.. logically they are different.

Flammed or not I have no problem saying an eye for an eye. I think our society is WAY to lax on criminal behavior. I dont' care to hear inmates whine that they have no cabel tv or only 1 pillow per person. A choice put you where you are.

The 14 yr old I mentioned had a long list of crimes & was already on probation. His age makes it sad. HIs mom should have not allowed him to hang with his 25 yr old uncle NOR be out at 230 am. If hed been home like a 14 yr old should be at that time of night and NOT breaking into someones property, he'd be alive today.

I'm not saying the death of a 14 yr old is good thing AT ALL, I'm just stating he wasn't an innocent bystander.

Commit a crime- be punished. Have sex-get pregnant. Stay up all night-be TIRED. Eat unhealthy- get sick.

My point is there are consequences for actions. Sometimes the punishment doesn't fit the crime in our soft hearted minds. but a person breaking into someones house is asking for trouble!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if an embryo attempted to break into the home of these ladies that embryo would be dealt the same hand.

hahaha..

you wigglely thing rolling around, what are you doing here.. now.. don't move.. or I"ll um.. shoot?

ha yep, even an embryo that comes into my house to assalt my kidlets will be met by my Springfield .45

Bill

I do agree that the intentional killing of humans makes me sick too, Bill.

But i saw lots of that being advocated as a RIGHT here on the WTM boards too. Not only a RIGHT, but all the different waysto kill that human should remain legal too.

The apparent morality of being able to kill a human for conveniece being advanced for "abortion rights confuses me too.

But since we were obviously discussing the atmosphere of criminal activity, home invasions, and people w/ an intent to do another harm, the "joke" made plenty of sense to those who understand context. That "joke" is heard quite a bit in the law enforcement community. The ironic thing is that it is a JOKE because most people understand how difficult it is to ACTUALLY "cover up" a crime by "dragging a body" around. Someone who assumes a crime can be successfully covered up in such a manner is... naive? uneducated? not sure what the right word for that would be.....

I want to believe it's a knee jerk reaction to the idea of a disturbed man breaking into somone's home to harm a young woman but I am disconcerted by many posters' apparent sheer delight in the idea of murdering someone and then covering key points of the crime up.

Jen

hm.

I didn't see any "sheer delight."

i did see a lot of illogical assumptions made.

I did see that many posters apparently can't distinguish between killing a human for self defense vs for convenience.

i did see posters that don't understand the basic premise of the laws in question.

Maybe you could clarify where you saw "delight" in the thread?

Life is life is my logic.

Some on death row have been proven innocent. The cirucmstances of a house invader could have some pretty murky details as well....who knows.

.....And the question of grace?? Anyone?

Emerald

i tend to agree with you.

eta: abortion-on-demand is basically the same as capital punishment for trespassing too.

Take a look at my thoughts about human life in the ectogenesis thread and the older capital punishment thread.

I don't see much grace for human life from the abortion-on-demand defenders either. So I guess I'll join you in asking....grace? anyone?

eta:

in case you're interested, here's links to those:

capital punishment: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37806

ectogenesis: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53976

Edited by Peek a Boo

The cirucmstances of a house invader could have some pretty murky details as well....who knows.

Emerald

As per the report:

"Indianapolis police Sgt. Matt Mount said Meyers had come into the home naked, except for a mask and latex gloves. "He had rope, had a knife, had condoms, had a gag,"

Other than perhaps not wanting to catch or give an STD or get someone pregnant I do not see any "murky details".

I also do not agree that a "life is life." We may all be created equal but when you behave like the above individual, his life sure as HE double toothpicks does not in any way equate to the loife of his intended victim.

In Bellflower, California a few months ago a 65 yr old man was charged for MURDER because he shot a 14yr old boy who was breaking into his garage.

Who says he is guilty?

Not I and I'll probably get stoned for that. But.. the background of the story is this:

* Mans garage was broken into THREE times in 6 months. Cops said no one to charge, just get a better lock. Cops said not worth persueing really. Man got better lock, & alarm. Lock broken; small alarm smashed one weekend couple was not home.

*14 yr old boy was with 25yr old uncle. Dad in jail, mom at home.

* It was 2:30 AM.

* 14 yr old boy, although not known at the time was on probabtion & had been kicked out of local high school.

Now, knowing those facts do you still think that man is guilt or was he protecting his property?

I need more information. Was a warning given before shots were fired? Did the man have a reason to believe his own or another family member's life was in danger or did he know he was potentially taking a human life in order to protect things?

Operative paragraphs:

empty.gif

The story is very, very sad for all concerned. This man was a predator who should not have been free. I agree that the father needed to use force in order to protect his daughter.

Bill

Bill, they're joking to show the absurdity of the law. In a previous post it was pointed out that there was an old lady in jail for shooting a man who was trying to break down the door of her home. I think it was reasonable for her to assume that he intended to physically harm her, but the court apparently found her guilty of murder because he was still outside her home. Because the law knows no commensense, this type of thing happens all the time.

FTR, I think killing a teen for breaking into a garage is a tragic overreaction.

when I was 16 (living in Texas) I was alone at home when a guy broke into our house, He told me that he was going to kill me. Luckly, our elderly neighbor (we lived in a duplex) heard me screaming. She ran over with a large butcher knife, the guy knocked her over, ran out the door and the police found him later hiding in a behind a house. I have no doubt that my neighbor would have killed him if she could have and I am thankful that he did not try and get the knife from her and use it on her. This was such a brave thing for for to do.

Some on death row have been proven innocent. The cirucmstances of a house invader could have some pretty murky details as well....who knows.

Emerald

Grace does not mean no consequences. Nor does grace mean we allow predators to continue to hurt people.

I fully agree with this so I won't bother repeating it. Good riddance and he saved us some tax dollars.

I understand the "good riddance" feeling, but the attitude is wrong. A man has been killed. Granted, he was a messed up guy who intended to cause harm. Granted his death was probably necessary to keep him from hurting another man's child. But I feel no happiness about his death. I think the entire story is just tragic.

when I was 16 (living in Texas) I was alone at home when a guy broke into our house, He told me that he was going to kill me. Luckly, our elderly neighbor (we lived in a duplex) heard me screaming. She ran over with a large butcher knife, the guy knocked her over, ran out the door and the police found him later hiding in a behind a house. I have no doubt that my neighbor would have killed him if she could have and I am thankful that he did not try and get the knife from her and use it on her. This was such a brave thing for for to do.

Jeannie, I am very glad your neighbor was there to help you. :grouphug:

I understand the "good riddance" feeling, but the attitude is wrong. A man has been killed. Granted, he was a messed up guy who intended to cause harm. Granted his death was probably necessary to keep him from hurting another man's child. But I feel no happiness about his death. I think the entire story is just tragic.

Beansprouts,

I believe you may be correct when you feel no "happiness," but I certainly feel no regret and the most benign feeling is a sense of relief that there is one less predator out there.

I am afraid I am still firmly in the "good riddance" crowd. If asked, would I have preferred that he survived the encounter I am afraid my answer would be a resounding NO.

I need more information. Was a warning given before shots were fired? Did the man have a reason to believe his own or another family member's life was in danger or did he know he was potentially taking a human life in order to protect things?

If someone is breaking into another's home - as far as I'm concerned the burden of protecting their backside is totally on them - not the home owners. If they break into someone's home for any reason - the risk they take is not getting back out and I don't feel much pity for them.

Aside from the entire absurd notion that I should be obligated to engage in dialog with any intruder in my home via "Hey there?! You just want my stuff, sex, or torture and murder tonight? Oh and are you under 18?" (As though under 18 criminals never kill anyone these days.)

Why shouldn't we protect our property?! Why bother with locks folks, they can just break in and you are supposed to stand back and let them take whatever they want? Um no. I don't think so.

I'd prefer to never hurt a person. Via shooting or otherwise.

But my home is our haven and we have every right to keep it that way and protect all that lies within it.

Emerald

True enough. But the one thing that isn't murky in these examples is that they were an intruder. If they don't want to risk their backside - they should try not sneaking into people's homes!

FTR, I think killing a teen for breaking into a garage is a tragic overreaction.

I think it's tragic that some teen put a homeowner in that situation. That homeowner would probably love to have never felt a need to pull that trigger. I have no idea why breaking into the garage makes a difference. If someone is breaking into my home, any part of it, I have to assume they intend no good towards me. The fact that it was a teen really doesn't matter to me. Teens kill rape, kill, and steal all the time. And a lot of teens do not look like teens at all either. Not that someone in such a situation stand there and thinks, "gee that burgler looks young..."

Grace does not mean no consequences. Nor does grace mean we allow predators to continue to hurt people.

:iagree:

Sure. I completely agree it's a sad thing that a life was ended in a such a manner. I don't think anyone is neccessarily happy about his death as they are absolutely thrilled that the girl was protected.

I imagine it would scar me to kill anyone, even if I knew it was totally justified. But I'd still be forever happy to have protected my family.

I am afraid I am still firmly in the "good riddance" crowd. If asked, would I have preferred that he survived the encounter I am afraid my answer would be a resounding NO.

I can understand being relieved. Obviously the system had already failed to keep a dangerous man under control, why should we expect them to be successful this time? I do believe that sometimes the only to protect ourselves from evil is to remove it. But I don't gain any pleasure from the task, kwim?

I just think of "good riddance" as a dehumanizing statement, or a way of saying the man was complete trash and unworthy to breathe the same air as we do. This view makes us calloused and self-righteous. It is to this aspect of "good riddance" that I object.

This whole conversation to me seems very, can I say "western"?..and somewhat narrow.

Imagine being born in Somalia, for example.

This idea of safety and who deserves what is certainly subjective.

As far as grace goes, I think the whole idea of who deserves what should be completely removed. None of us "deserve" anything, in my opinion that is what grace is all about.

emerald

This whole conversation to me seems very, can I say "western"?..and somewhat narrow.

Imagine being born in Somalia, for example.

This idea of safety and who deserves what is certainly subjective.

As far as grace goes, I think the whole idea of who deserves what should be completely removed. None of us "deserve" anything, in my opinion that is what grace is all about.

emerald

Well, according to the the Christian perspective, we all deserve death. Grace means getting something we don't deserve (i.e. life).

I can understand being relieved. Obviously the system had already failed to keep a dangerous man under control, why should we expect them to be successful this time? I do believe that sometimes the only to protect ourselves from evil is to remove it. But I don't gain any pleasure from the task, kwim?

I just think of "good riddance" as a dehumanizing statement, or a way of saying the man was complete trash and unworthy to breathe the same air as we do. This view makes us calloused and self-righteous. It is to this aspect of "good riddance" that I object.

Beansprouts,

He was trash. Look what he was willing to do.

Anyone who would sexually assault a woman is vermin. I am afraid that I have... well lets say my views are not "enlightened." As a father, as a husband, as a son, as a law abiding citizen, I believe that child molesters and stranger rapists should get the death penalty.

I take no joy in his death, but will not feel sorrow. His actions "dehumanized" him.

Sincerely pqr